What's new

Paul/Frank co-sponsoring legalization bill

L

longearedfriend

5147-RonPaulNoMoreDrugWar.jpg

superbolan

I always thought the most conservative thing you can do is to stay out of peoples business. so in a way it makes sense him running as a republican. I agree he doesn't have much of a chance and the media is making sure of that, He beats Huntsman by a landslide in a straw poll and Huntsman becomes the big story.. WTF

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
here ya go, dag

Drug issues and medical marijuana

In 2001 Frank authored of the States' Rights to Medical Marijuana Act (H.R. 2592), an attempt to stop federal government from preempting states' medical marijuana laws.[37] He has consistently voted for the bipartisan Hinchey-Rohrabacher amendment, annually proposed by Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA) and Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), that would prohibit the United States Department of Justice from prosecuting medical marijuana patients.[38] In March 2008, he proposed the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 (HR 5843), which would have decriminalized small amounts of the drug but died in committee during the 110th Congress. On June 18, 2009 he re-introduced the bill as the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2009 (HR 2943).[39] Commenting on legislation to remove federal criminal penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use, Frank stated "In a free society a large degree of human activity is none of the government's business. We should make criminal what's going to hurt other people and other than that we should leave it to people to make their own choices."[40] In 2003 he was rated "A" by Vote Hemp, indicating a pro-hemp voting record.[41] In 2006 he was rated "+30" by NORML, indicating a pro-drug-reform stance.[41] In 2007 he co-sponsored the "Drug Sentencing Reform & Kingpin Trafficking Act" ((S.1711) 07-S1711) to "target cocaine kingpins and address sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine".[41] In 2008 Frank sponsored "Removing Impediments to Students Education" (RISE) ((H.R.5157) 08-HR5157) to allow rehabilitated drug offenders to get student loans.[41]

Going to multiple links finds more. It redundant to list every sponsored/co-sponsored bill-history on his home page.

hazy

Veteran
Because the mainstream media marginalizes him. They treat him like a leper...because he's DANGEROUS to them and what they promote. Remember...the media is on the OTHER side...they're part of the enemy.

Why only some? Do you have a problem with freedom? Making your own choices and decisions? You think others know better what is good for you?

He has LESS of a chance being a republican than he would as an independent...and as an independent...he doesn't have a chance either...bottom line...he doesn't have a chance EITHER way he runs. Because he is AGAINST the "system". He's a token representative...they let him stay because he can't really do any harm.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he'll be able to make some REAL changes. But I doubt it. They're too powerful, too ingrained.

The Republican Party has NO ONE that is interesting or even mildly popular that is going to run for President. Except Ron Paul. But...

The Republicants will not support RP. He wants to dismantle too much of the things they love like the Fed. IF they would give him their support, he would blow away anyone running against him. They know this and that's why they won't help him.

G

guest86120975

OK so I was just watching CNN and they did a report saying that the White House stated that "legalization is a non-starter" and had some whore on there speaking through her wide gaping vagina "illegal drugs cost taxpayers 200billion per year in medical, etc costs" and that the white house also said "we can't do it because marijuana is known to cause lots of ER admissions" (or something like that). Then they proceeded to further shoot down the effort by showing their "latest CNN poll" which showed only 41% of Americans supporting legalization.

igrowone

Veteran
OK so I was just watching CNN and they did a report saying that the White House stated that "legalization is a non-starter" and had some whore on there speaking through her wide gaping vagina "illegal drugs cost taxpayers 200billion per year in medical, etc costs" and that the white house also said "we can't do it because marijuana is known to cause lots of ER admissions" (or something like that). Then they proceeded to further shoot down the effort by showing their "latest CNN poll" which showed only 41% of Americans supporting legalization.

This is no surprise, but if it got so far as to pass both the house and senate, that would be interesting.
Hell, I'd call that a victory to bring this topic into such a national focus.
And for a 'what if' situation, what could this do if Paul actually got the nomination? Could be a wild card in the presidential election.(long shot, but strange things can happen)

StevenSteve

HR 2306!!!

HR 2306!!!

Got this in an email from my NORML representative today...

Dear Steven:

Take Action!
Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 will be a day fondly remembered by many. It marks the very first time that US Congressmen have introduced a bill that would make marijuana completely legal under Federal law. US Reps. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Ron Paul (R-TX) are the primary sponsors of HR 2306, the 'Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011'. This bill would remove all Federal penalties for its possession, sale, and cultivation. Ask your US Representative to support and co-sponsor HR 2306

NORML, along with representatives from the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA), Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), and the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), worked closely with members of Congress in drafting the measure. Read more about this story.

We will need a strong show of support in order to ensure that Pennsylvania's Representatives and Congressmen are among those co-sponsoring this important legislation, especially since the 2012 elections are coming up. HR 2306 will remove marijuana from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act's system completely, leaving it up to each individual state whether - and how - to legalize and regulate marijuana. The federal government would no longer be able to lawfully raid dispensaries or compassion centers, or arrest otherwise law-abiding citizens. There will literally be no penalty under federal law for simply possessing, selling, or growing it.

Please, take a few minutes and ask your US Representative to support and co-sponsor HR 2306. It's very important that legislators hear from their constituents, and often. Their job is very simple - to do what their constituents want them to and to vote the way their constituents direct them. We need to make it crystal clear that Pennsylvania wants marijuana legalized.

Other awesome news...

Pennsylvania's House Bill 1653, the Raymond Shafer Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act, was today moved from the Health committee - chaired by Matt Baker (R-Tioga), a vocal opponent - to the Human Services committee. The chairmen of this committee are Gene DiGirolamo (R-Bucks) and Mark Cohen (D-Philadelphia), the primary sponsor of the bill. Please take a few minutes during business hours and give Gene a call at 215-750-1017 (district) or 717-783-7319 (Harrisburg), and ask him to schedule a vote to bring HB1653 to the floor of the House for debate.

It's about time these marijuana laws change. Let's make it so!

Sincerely,
Derek Rosenzweig

Botanist

So i came back to see where this thread went and find a bunch of downers.

Ya the man has been keeping you down. All of us down, I know. But this country and the world mind you is truly in the middle of a philosophical revolution and your attitudes are not helping. Just look around.

I know that not all of you like all things about Ron. He is hard classical right wing and will not support the welfare state some of you may want. But look who he is working with. This is a good thing guys. This is 2 Big Name Reps working for you now and the least you can do is put the Bong down for 5 minuets and call your rep and tell him to support this bill.

The world is not lost. Its been ruled by the big boys for to long now but its not over yet. We can beat the man! Just keep your chin up and once in a wile vote, or call and tell your town mayor you don't like his thugs pulling people over by your house. Just once in a wile.

Now you all should feel good because i know that each and every one of you will google your reps #, call, and ask him or her to support freedom and Ron Pauls bill. :tiphat:

Barney Frank has been a supporter of med pot as long as I can remember, probably longer than Ron Paul. Give the liberal some credit too you right winger! :D ;)

G

guest86120975

TO be quite honest about Ron Paul, he's right about personal freedoms and liberties and military policy... but otherwise his policies would be horrendous. That's why he isn't taken seriously--his other policies.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I just don't understand why a person that rails against big government, wants to be the head of said big government. Ron Paul has a snowballs chance in hell to get elected.

itisme

Veteran
Let's HOPE :D

One thing is for sure....Ron Paul's nuts hang way lower than most of those wussies in office. Starting with OBAMA and BUSH!!!!

That video is great and RON KILLED IT!!!

G

guest86120975

I still think Obama is the best hope we have. If between 2013-2017 the Dems hold the House and Senate again, Obama may very well strike then against the drug war. Now really isn't the time...he's up for re-election, and the Republicans own the House. So there's really no point in trying right now. I think Paul and Frank are just trying to start up the debate which is sure to be fiery all next year.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
I still think Obama is the best hope we have. If between 2013-2017 the Dems hold the House and Senate again, Obama may very well strike then against the drug war. Now really isn't the time...he's up for re-election, and the Republicans own the House. So there's really no point in trying right now. I think Paul and Frank are just trying to start up the debate which is sure to be fiery all next year.

I want what you're smoking. There's only one candidate that has proven to be against the Drug War and that's Paul. How you can even begin to think Obama is that person is beyond me. He has no bone fides to back it up. None.

budlover123

Here's betting the bill never makes it out of committee, much less ever makes it to the floor for a vote, unless the repressives add a bunch of amendments defunding everything and lowering taxes further on the uber rich. my two cents.
Not if we start writing and get these bastards to start worrying about their own jobs if they don't pass this legislation, I'm going to write the representatives in my state and be like,

"I voted for you, and I'm not next time if you don't take a stand for freedom and support the Frank / Paul weed bill" in so many words, it doesn't matter that I didn't vote for the people that got elected"

I want what you're smoking. There's only one candidate that has proven to be against the Drug War and that's Paul. How you can even begin to think Obama is that person is beyond me. He has no bone fides to back it up. None.

We don't live on planet icmag you know... And I don't even want to imagine the kind of bullshit racist noise we'd here if our first black president decided to forget about wars, inequality, poverty, etc and focus on mariujuana

I know president Bush set the precedent that the president is some kind of king of the US, even Obama has been waging war without congressional approval like GW, but these people in the senate and the house aren't just there to steal money you know, they are supposed to represent us more than the president. Let them know there fucking job is on the line

Maybe Obama won't actually veto this bill... do you think any past president would not veto this? I don't, I think that is why Frank and Paul are giving this a shot.

Kuroth

Members Of Congress Introduce First Federal Measure Since 1937 To Legalize The Adult

Members Of Congress Introduce First Federal Measure Since 1937 To Legalize The Adult

Members Of Congress Introduce First Federal Measure Since 1937 To Legalize The Adult Use Of Marijuana

in Congress today to end the federal criminalization of the personal use of marijuana.The bipartisan measure, HR 2306 – entitled the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2011and sponsored by Massachusetts Democrat Barney Frank and Texas Republican Ron Paul along with Reps. Cohen (D-TN), Conyers (D-MI), Polis (D-CO), and Lee (D-CA) – prohibits the federal government from prosecuting adults who use or possess marijuana by removing the plant and its primary psychoactive constituent, THC, from the five schedules of the United States Controlled Substances Act of 1970. Under present law, all varieties of the marijuana plant are defined as illicit Schedule I controlled substances, defined as possessing ‘a high potential for abuse,’ and ‘no currently accepted medical use in treatment.’
Said Rep. Frank, “Criminally prosecuting adults for making the choice to smoke marijuana is a waste of law enforcement resources and an intrusion on personal freedom. I do not advocate urging people to smoke marijuana, neither do I urge them to drink alcoholic beverages or smoke tobacco, but in none of these cases do I think prohibition enforced by criminal sanctions is good public policy.”
The ‘Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act’ seeks to federally deregulate the personal possession and use of marijuana by adults. It marks the first time that members of Congress have introduced legislation to eliminate the federal criminalization of marijuana since the passage of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937.
Language in this Act mimics changes enacted by Congress to repeal the federal prohibition of alcohol. Passage of this measure would remove the existing conflict between federal law and the laws of those sixteen states that allow for the limited use of marijuana under a physicians’ supervision. It would also allow state governments that wish to fully legalize and regulate the responsible use, possession, production, and intrastate distribution of marijuana for all adults to be free to do so without federal interference. (To date, lawmakers in six states have introduced legislation to legalize and regulate the adult use of cannabis, and separate statewide initiative measures are planned for 2012 in several additional states.)
Speaking in support of the measure, NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre said, “The federal criminalization of marijuana has failed to reduce the public’s demand or access to cannabis, and it has imposed enormous fiscal and human costs upon the American people. It is time to end this failed public policy and to provide state governments with the freedom to enact alternative strategies — such as medicalization, decriminalization, and/or legalization — without running afoul of the federal law or the whims of the Department of Justice.”
You can read the full text of Allen’s remarks from today’s press conference, which is being reported today by major news outlets nationwide, here.
NORML, along with representatives from the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA), Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), and the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), worked closely with members of Congress in drafting the measure.
Additional information regarding this measure is available from NORML’s ‘Take Action Center’ here.

Z

zen_trikester

This is really good news folks. Keep in mind it is the sum of the recent acts that have come about that makes this powerful! Just look through the ic mag news forums and see what all has happened recently. The FDA is being sued to respond to a 10 year old petition to reschedule cannabis. Big pharma is trying to get a foothold with sativex or something similar made from natural plant material which would likely be a predicting factor for rescheduling. A commission of former world leaders from around the country have come out to say that the war is pointless and we need to legalize and regulate marijuana, and Jimmy Carter wrote a letter to the NY Times encouraging our current leaders to follow the advice of this council. 3 states are going to be for sure introducing legislation to legalize recreational use and distribution with probably more to follow, and now to put it all together, these two men, from opposing teams are putting a bill before congress to empower everything else that has occurred in the past couple of months. This is really big and if it doesn't work, admittedly it would be a longshot if it did, it will at least put this issue in front of that many more people and in another 4 years, unless there is something crazy that happens, we should be seeing legally regulated marijuana world wide. If this momentum continues it will be sooner than later.

S

schwagg

Update: After this article was first published Thursday afternoon, reaction from a key congressional committee chair and the White House Office on National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) made it clear that "extremely unlikely" was optimistic.

The bill would have to pass through the House Judiciary Committee, but committee chair Rep. Lamar Smith told the Associated Press there was no way that was going to happen.

"Marijuana use and distribution is prohibited under federal law because it has a high potential for abuse and does not have an accepted medical use in the US," Smith said. "The Food and Drug Administration has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease."

Then he bizarrely claimed legalizing marijuana in the US would help Mexican drug cartels. "Decriminalizing marijuana will only lead to millions more Americans becoming addicted to drugs and greater profits for drug cartels who fund violence along the US-Mexico border. Allowing states to determine their own marijuana policy flies in the face of Supreme Court precedent," he threw in for good measure.

Echoing Smith, ONDCP told the Los Angeles Times legalizing weed was a non-starter. "Our concern with marijuana is not borne out of any culture war or drug war mentality, but out of what the science tells us about the drug's effects. The facts are that marijuana potency has tripled in the past 20 years and teens are using the drug at earlier ages," it said in a statement.

"The earlier a person begins to use drugs, the more likely they are to progress to more serious abuse and addiction --- reflecting the harmful, long-lasting effects drugs can have on the developing brain. Legalization remains a nonstarter in the Obama administration because research shows that marijuana use is associated with voluntary treatment admissions, fatal drugged driving accidents and emergency room admissions," the statement said.

If not this year, maybe next year. If not this Congress, maybe the next one. If not this administration, maybe the next one. There are many obstacles on the path to legalization, but now we are at least on the path.

Washington, DC
United States

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2011/jun/23/historic_bill_end_federal_mariju

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Re: Paul/Frank co-sponsoring legalization bill

^^
Standard. I understand and appreciate the enthusiasm but for fucks sakes man! IMO I don't even blink anymore when I hear shit like this..I believe Paul is sincere about his position on the drug war, but that's not gonna do anything practically, the whole system is fucked beyond all repair. Its like trying to stop a train out of control going down hill by asking nicely for it to stop. Its too late people. Go underground, stay there, try to make the best of it. Short of armed resistance nothing will change...history tells us so. Jmho the way I see it. I hope I am wrong and Waaaay off base...my fear is that I'm not and that my son will experience violence and unrest here much like we see now in other countries. I hope I am wrong.

Latest posts

Latest posts