What's new

passive plant killer

oldone

How do you go about inducing the plant to finish? When I first got into growing I heard you are supposed to just give water at the end. Then I learned that not everyone does this and many of the people that do are doing it because they basically over fertilized.
Hi jjfoo,

Special circumstances. Medusa is an equatorial sativa and because of that she could flower for a long time, years maybe. At the equator, day length doesnt change much so plants native to that region dont have the same sensitivity to light cycle. Or so I read somewhere. It did track with what I observed with her mom. She was still throwing new flowers on day 92 flower.

I'm just trying it this time to see if I can get a more even ripening.

see ya,
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Wahoo! My beans made it! Exactly 28 days from sending an international money order by snail mail. Excellent!

I have six packs of ten each of:

Nuken, which is kish x godbud.

Jas Bud, which is kish x burmese sativa. Kish is renamed shishkaberry.

Purple Nukush, which is nuken x purple kush

Og x Nukush , which is og kush crossed with nuken

Rene x Nuken, I have no idea what rene is but they seem to think highly of it so I thought I would give it a try.

Kish x Juicy Fruit, high yielder and potent

these came from CCK @ VSB, cck has a rep for making high yielding, short flowering, and potent crosses.

I have inspected each bean under the glass and all strains are different. Some bigger, some smaller, some tiger stripes, some speckled.

I think i'll start two beans from one strain, but which shall it be?

What do you guys think?

How about a quick informal poll? I'll do the one with the most votes first. I love democracy. Of the People, By the People, and For the People. But sometimes a benign dictatorship is not too bad. I could even stomach a well intentioned monarchy. But, please, no goddamn theocracies.

Looking forward to early poll results. I thank you and our president thanks you.

d9

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
How is it that all your selections involve at least one strain that I've never seen mentioned before?

I remember a really nice Juicy Fruit from long ago... so my vote goes there.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i have been asked to put up the link for the meter i bought so here it is.

http://www.specmeters.com/Light_Meters/Quantum_Light_Meter.html

you'll see four versions here. the basic one, the 3415f i believe, will do fine and is only 199 bucks.

i opted for the one with the external sensor. a little more pricey but i can do more tricks experimentally speaking. this one is $299.

but if you already have or have access to a foot candle meter you can do a rough conversion that will still give you a good idea what distances you should be working at with your particular bulb. it just won't be as accurate.

let me see if i can find that old chart.

i mentioned the light scouts too but really they are only for my personal experimental plans. you don't actually have to have them to do this umol @ x distance thing.

Here is the formula for calculating DLI with a quantum meter.

μmol m-2s-1 x (,3600 x photoperiod) / 1,000,000 = DLI

μmol m-2s-1 is a reading, or averaged readings, from the quantum meter

3,600 is the number of seconds in an hour

Photoperiod is the period (in hours) of light exposure per 24 hours

1,000,000 is the number of μmols per mole

For example, 38.1 μmol m-2s-1 x 3600 seconds/hour x 12 hour photoperiod / 1000000 μmoles/mol = 1.6 mol. m-2d-1 (or 1.6 moles/day).

d9

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ok, i didn't include the part with conversion formula and now i can't find it so the conversion factor from foot candles to umols is approx. 5/1.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
well, i just did some quick numbers and either the 5/1 conversion factor or the chart is full of shit. looking at 15" which is the distance where a 1k hps is equal to equatorial intensity on the 1k column with a 5/1 conversion you would have 5704.20 umols. which is totally impossible.

i'll keep looking for this but a quantum meter is the solution.

good night, good people!

d9

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ok, after some digging i found that the proper ratio for conversion of foot candles to umols is 10/1. i got the 5/1 ratio from GPN magazine, btw.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i just took my meter out and set it up on a piece of allthread to position it dead center in the middle of the arc tube of my veg light, which is a bare naked 1k hortilux.

at 14" i got 1500 umols.

which tells me that even at the correct 10/1 conversion the chart is crap. please disregard the chart.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey! well, up to now i've been running them as close as possible without burning them and then sometimes burning them anyway.

this is the first time i have used the meter. according to dr assholely's paper anything beyond 1500 umols can cause photoinhibition and there certainly is a sharp decline in the rate of photosynthesis above 1500 umols.

in view of this is it is probably a bad idea to run them closer than the point you get 1500 umols to the front of the plant. remember the conversation with devilweed a while back about the front leaf tips twisting in a way that presents the leaf edge to the light instead of the flat side of the blade. i get it all the time on mine. this is photoinhibition. the plant should probably be backed off to the point where it doesn't occur anyway.

please don't draw any conclusions yet as these are very preliminary observations. just discussing theory.

the 1500 umols at 14" is a rough figure done real fast just to get an idea.

this also would only apply to a bare 1k hortilux hps at mid life.

before i begin taking light measurements i have to come up with a coherent plan of where i want them taken and how to control the distances and angles accurately. in other words i have to build a device that will hold the sensor in a precision spot in the air. not just straight out from the arc tube but also taken at different degrees of arc vertically from the right angle position.

then it also has to be adjustable side to side for 90 degrees of arc.

further, it has to be concave when viewed from the light. and then multiple layered as in a sphere within a sphere.

when i get through this phase i will put up a report on my bulb so that others running my bulb can just use it. but those using other bulbs will need to measure for themselves.

every one that contributes adds to the overall body of knowledge and it grows.

this is why i was hoping that screwed up chart was good. a lot of people have f.c. meters that would be sufficient for them personally in a relative way. just do the correct 10/1 conversion and report as umols with an * on it or something.

so, in answer to your question, in veg i will run 14" for now but in flower i don't have the space to run them that far out with my current plant shaping routine. i have these bulbs cool tubed with a 500 cfm fan on each one but i have not done any measurements yet.

later

Last edited:

DevilWeed

500cfm per bulb?? Holy crap, I think I have 500cfm going through 3 bulbs. Those must be super uber mega cool! :D

Really appreciate the time you take detailing things D9. I've learned a ton in this thread.

Foot-candles and micro-mols

Foot-candles and micro-mols

Delta - Yup. Four years of fun and games on the internet and the world is still spinning. Go figure!

Light measurements - This is one of the reasons I'm glad you've taken up the light challenge. I no longer have the patience for converting apples/millimeter to oranges/parsec.

In the past I've used the letter you linked with conversions from Gerald Deitzer, now emeritus professor at University of Maryland, to help me make conversions from foot candles radiating from CW fluorescent and HPS lights into PAR photons measured in umol/m2/s. I really hope they are roughly correct.

Once you have quantum meter measurements it would be interesting to see how they compare to measurements from a more common foot-candle meter augmented with these conversions. Knowing that my measurements using a foot-candle meter + conversions are roughly aligned with reality would be the cat's pajamas.

DevilWeed

This thread needs a little eye candy...

Pulled two seedy cheese plants tonight. These are my first all vertical plants grown "between" 2 1k's ala D9 style. :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

huntingbb

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that's what i'm talking about, this run is my first forey into larger girls, trying to get to real trees, but damn, thats the kinda girl i hope to get one day :) +Rep