What's new

passive plant killer

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i'm going to replace the 10 gal tubs in the vegging area with 3.5 gal buckets so that i can squeeze another plant in there. i only have 49 sq ft and the tubs took up too much footprint.

i will continue to use the tubs in flower as i have a lot more space there.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
one question that is possibly redundant (i.e. you mentioned only taking two cuts), but did you top that plant?

no, it was not topped or pruned in any way.

the two clone cuts were taken from the bottom front.

when you hang your lights vertical and keep the sweet spot centered in the middle of the plant mass it suppresses stretch. the plants end up more "square". almost as wide as they are tall.

this was vegged 7 weeks. with the change to the new reservoirs in veg i will run 8. it is one of the few ways i can think of to increase yield.

petemoss

Hey d9, what a great thread you have here! Took me a while to read, but it was worth it! As soon as I finish this bottle of FNB, I'm going to try that Jack's hydro mix and calcinit. Keep on truckin'!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey d9, what a great thread you have here! Took me a while to read, but it was worth it! As soon as I finish this bottle of FNB, I'm going to try that Jack's hydro mix and calcinit. Keep on truckin'!

hey, pete, hows it going these days? thank you! you'll like this stuff. it's easy to use, stable, and it is matched to the plants uptake ratios.

d9

C

Carl Carlson

D9,

I hope this one isn't repetitive too, but is the 1k bare Hortilux that use for veg, a MH or HPS?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i don't mind questions anytime about anything, carl. everything is cool with me.

my fault for not being more specific anyway.

all 6 bulbs are super hps hortilux. you can get them for about 65 apiece when you buy a 6 pack.

i date them and replace annually.

d9

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i had to make a new control bucket for the veg system. with the 3.5 gal bucket reservoirs i'm going to have to run a deeper water level and need a higher float valve.

i don't think i've actually shown a tire valve being installed.

drill a 7/16" hole.

the valve tool is at wally's for 2 bucks.

i have never had one of these leak.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
just thought i would show the new reservoirs installed. and a few rare shots of plants in veg with the hps off.

please notice the black latex tubing connectors. a big improvement.

the amber ones allowed algae which tended to form plugs or slow down flow. they were also 1/4" id as that was all lowes had. it fit a little loose on the 1/4" od drip line.

the new tubing is black 3/16" id and is a tight push fit on both the tire valve and the drip line, no tape needed. no algae. i cut 3" lengths.

it is available online from dozens of sources. just google "3/16" black latex tubing"

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
also want to report that my last 6 consecutive plants produced 62.95 oz's of dry bud or an average of 10.49 a piece.

Last edited:

oldone

Hi D9,

Beautiful plants man. I only hope to do half as well...

I have 2 mini PPKs going, about 3 weeks from seed. My PPKs are based on 6" black plastic soil pots. I use one pot unmodified for the plant with 3 microfiber wicks. A second pot has the bottom 1.5" removed and used to support the plant pot. I get a stand-off of ~5". The idea is that each PPK sits in a rez and I can move it around like a soil plant. In my small veg space I only have to plumb 1 rez.

I tried 3 types of coco before settling on the Canna CocoGrow. The generic coco seemed to hold too much water. The Botanicare CocoGrow was 2.0 EC -yikes!- right out of the bag. The Canna was 0.2 EC. I'm using FNB with RO water and started out using 1.0 EC and 5.5 PH. I had to add 1-2 ml of PH up.

I am sure I have to adjust my nutes but I am astounded with how well they are growing. I have 1 femmed Arjan's Haze #3 and 1 bagseed from the first grow. There is no comparison at all.

That being said I have a definite nute problem. I noticed signs of a cal/mag deficiency on the lowest fan leaves. About 5 days ago I added 4ml/gal of Technaflora MagiCal. It took my EC up to 1.4. I dont think its enough as the higher fan leaves are slowly getting that uneven green look though its not too bad yet. I have not been top watering as the surface never dries out.

My plan is to replace the nutes with FNB / CalMag up to 2.0 EC and raise the PH to 5.9. Some or all would be poured through the PPKs. What do you think?

Also these 6" dia x 7" h pots hold about a gallon of coco. Do you think I need to transplant to larger pots? I cant afford to veg them much longer or they will finish too big.

Thanks,
OO

Darth Fader

I tried 3 types of coco before settling on the Canna CocoGrow. The generic coco seemed to hold too much water. The Botanicare CocoGrow was 2.0 EC -yikes!- right out of the bag. The Canna was 0.2 EC. I'm using FNB with RO water and started out using 1.0 EC and 5.5 PH. I had to add 1-2 ml of PH up.

That being said I have a definite nute problem. I noticed signs of a cal/mag deficiency on the lowest fan leaves.

Oldone, I picked up Botanicare CocoGrow a while back and it measure about 150 ppm runoff. Decided that it wasn't enough to warrant flushing. I like it quite a bit. That said, if you're getting nute issue, pick up some FloraKleen or Drip Clean and do a plain watering w/ it. This will remove salt build-up that contributes to your nute probs. I did this every 4th day in veg this run w/ ZERO issues. Maybe overkill, once per week should suffice. If you're on ro water, 5 ml CalMag should keep you straight. I've found pH not to be nearly as much of an issue as most people make it. I keep it around 5.8 (5.5-6.0). Biggest thing though, is to stay on top of salt buildup IMO.

D9, can't wait for the results of the defoliation test. I've been doing some experimenting and found using an airstone under the coco add 5-10% vigor to the plant. Haven't reached the end of the cycle, but it's clearly improved growth thru stretch. Currently using 8x8" square net pots, sidewalls not exposed. Will repeat this experiment w/ the smartpot.

SnowGro

Woe, Panic, Dismay!
or
Did I break Physics?

picture.php

Pot is 7" high
6"x1.5" sink tailpiece
fiberglass screen zip tied on end
into a 3 gal rubbermaid
~3" res level
sitting under 140 watts
80 deg F
25-30% RH
closed container, air exchanged ~ 1x/5mins

There's about 2" perlite in the pots. I'm fairly sure I got a good packing of the perlite into the tailpieces. No voids.

Assuming 6" wicking for perlite, I would expect 3" penetration into the pot.
After 8-10 hrs, moisture is only apparent right at the top of the tailpiece. No penetration into pot at all.
Is it possible that air exchange and low RH is drying the 2" of material I have in the pot faster than wicking can replenish?
No plantys in the system yet, still in the tuning phase.
Any ideas?

SKUNK420

Intersting thread nice info here. I been growing in dwc for a while now and I sometime will throw in 1 or 2 soil plants ( never goes well cuz i forget to water on time). Well I was thinking of a way to combined soil/coco with dwc.
Look at the picture and you'll see that the top pot will have soil or coco. At the bottom of the will be a piece of coco-mat or rockwool or STG to keep the medium from running out the bottom and into the dwc water. This way I can feed just organic nutrient to the soil top pot without run off but the plant will get most of its water from the roots in the dwc rez. So once you figure out how much water you need to feed to top pot you minimize run off into the dwc rez. With an organic nutrient you only have to feed once in a while or you can feed right before changing the water in the dwc rez. That way if there is run off into the rez it doesn't matter becuase you are going to change the water and can rinse the run off water from the dwc roots ( no brown slime etc..). It may be the best of both worlds organic soil taste and aroma with dwc explosive growth.

Attachments

• passive plant killer.jpg
    passive plant killer.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
C

Carl Carlson

hey, carl! thank you, that's a keeper. it's the first analysis i've seen on hemp. a lot closer than tomatoes.

i'm following a thread on another forum in which some people are going to post data from the sap analysis tools they purchased.

Latest posts

Latest posts