What's new

passive plant killer

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, mrcreosote! i'm glad the growing is going well for you! thanks for the kind words. the relays are well made and heavy duty, thanks for the link. those people don't mess around. no delays.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i finally got my computer back and it's shit so i bought a little toshiba 15.6" with a core i3 processor, 4 gb ram and a 500 GB drive. not top of the line killer speed but does everything i need a computer for. which is mostly surfing, reading, writing, doc and photo storage. 450 bucks at wally's.

the cool part is that we wiped the microshaft crap off a brand new computer and i'm now running linux and mozilla. this thing was never operated with windows.

i'm still getting used to it and don't have all my accessories installed but it has a smooth, crisp feel to it. learning to use linux is almost intuitive. everything just flows.

funny thing is i tried to buy a computer with no software installed and everyone wants more money for them without the crap. dell actually charges 58 dollars more for one blank. when you get windows 7 installed on a machine you are getting over 200 software apps.

the sheep are being guided to slaughter.

oldone, give me a few days to get used to this thing and i'll get some much better pics up than i've been able to post before.

meanwhile, back at the ranch, i know all you ppk growers are going to put some pics up for everyone's entertainment.

oldone

the cool part is that we wiped the microshaft crap off a brand new computer and i'm now running linux and mozilla. this thing was never operated with windows.
Very cool!

I've been a linux guy for years, welcome to the club. What distro do you run? If you have any questions fire away.

OO

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
The buckets are working good for me. The tail pieces have never been submerged in water, but roots have grown through them and I let them sit in any runoff.

picture.php

Before defoliating
picture.php

After
picture.php

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
opensuse 12.1? my brother gave me a disk with no title written on it but i think that's what was installed.

this afternoon we are going to finish installing the accessories. maybe i'll be able to put up a few pics later.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Glad those relays are sturdy...
They looked exactly the same as Schneider/ Magna-craft, NTE open frames so I'm glad I didn't give you a bum steer.
$20 to double a light is pretty cheap thrills.

Yup, plants are pretty happy stacking flowers up. Not bad for freebie seeds. My daughter is looking forward to (her description) "A lovely dysfunctional family Christmas with munchies around the tree."

She made me promise not to make her blow her diet.
I lied...
Wait til she gets a Kahlua hot chocolate with home made beignets.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is the camera that was used for all my pics! over ten years old now, a whopping 3.1 mp that's been dropped onto a concrete floor.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is the new control and pump set up in flower. i've completed the high volume pulse system.

i've been playing with it for about a week and it's capable of putting about 110 oz's onto each plant in about 70 seconds before a spill occurs. this spill is an overflow at the top of the reservoir bucket due to the holes in the lid being overwhelmed. this is still a 950 magdrive.

so i have set the volume at 64 oz's per pulse. this occurs every 30 minutes.

it takes approx 40 seconds to complete each pulse.

the pump and control container takes about 10 minutes to come back to equilibrium after each pulse.

this means the medium has drained completely in that time and is sitting at maximum air porosity for twenty minutes between pulses.

the drip from the volume tank resumes during lights on in about 25 minutes so that is evidence of positive reverse flow.

after a week of operation the tds is 1048 ppm at the .5 and ph is 5.8. this with an input of 750 ppm. i might need to cut it down to 600 ppm in flower if this trend continues.

the pump container is a sterilite "footlocker" from wally's and the control container in it is a marine battery box, also from wally's.

what you can't see in the picture is that the battery box has a single tire valve installed in it in one of the lower corners. this is just a stock valve that has not been drilled out.

i used this here to allow me to play with orifices to control the flow into the pump chamber. i'm currently using a 5/64" hole drilled in the valve cap.

this is kind of funny when you think about it as all the water and nutes being used by 8 large plants is passing through that little hole. contrast this to all the large bore, continuously flowing, high volume methods being used to feed plants in hydro.

when the pump fires the footlocker is drawn down about 2.5" in the 40 seconds. if the float valve were in the pump chamber too it would immediately begin a heavy flow from the volume tank that would continue until the footlocker came too equilibrium, overfilling the container past the float setting.

with the marine battery box and the 5/64" hole the drip does not start until the pump is finished firing. this allows it to act like an metered injector.

the valve is under water at all times so the demand is much less than if it were in free air. the flow stops entirely at the 10 minute point when equilibrium is achieved.

by moving the sub-irrigation lines to the pump part of the container i was able to get this much higher flow rate.

looking good so far.

i'll play with this for a little while longer and then install a similar set up on the vegging plants.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ok, oldone! the first plant pics with the new camera!

the first 2 are g13 buds

then a g13 right before whacking.

2 og nukush buds.

all photos by mrs delta.

Last edited:

MedScientist

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with LOVE is my wish for You, and all the Incredible Members here at ICMag.com. Thank You for your inovative thread, I have learned alot and I am thankful for YOU!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, medscientist! thanks for the kind words! i hope you and yours had a good one, whatever one is.

well, folks, i have lost a clone! that's right, the 3 year run is over! one of the matanuska thunderfucks decided life was too cruel.

not too bad, i still have the donor plant. it's a male and not the keeper one at that.

i have in flower a purple nukush, and chem13, and an iranian13. in veg, a week apart, i have an isis, a sour13, a dope, and a trainwreck.

next there is an ohzone, which is a chemdog x og kush.

i have beans for the original brothers grimm c99 and a pre-98 bubba x ghost kush.

this is getting interesting!

i'm on a real binge here! somebody stop me!

mcfly420

In case anyone needs to order more nutes, jrpeters is giving 20% off orders (friends20) until Jan1st. They also say the calcium nitrate for $20 under specialty nutrients is the same product but the price wasn't updated (yet)...So its only $40 for 50lbs

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
ok, oldone! the first plant pics with the new camera!

the first 2 are g13 buds

then a g13 right before whacking.

2 og nukush buds.

all photos by mrs delta.

Hey D9... MC/HNY.. are ya happy with the yield of the g13? You're not running it again? Didnt see it mentioned again, below (or above). You're over my head with that turbo pulse sys your tlkin about.. but you da man.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, snook! well, ever since i went back to a 4 week veg i have been having trouble getting over about 15 oz's. i have hit a pound with the g13 and the og nukush, but barely. i'm going back to a 5 week veg now so we'll see.

i will run the g13 again after i test these other strains.

this whole turbo pulse thing is experimental. i have not been able to draw any conclusions regarding it yet. i need to run it for a few months.

remember, the largest plants i have grown to date were grown using the 1/4" drip line and a much smaller pulse.

mcfly, thanks for the info!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hey, snook! well, ever since i went back to a 4 week veg i have been having trouble getting over about 15 oz's. i have hit a pound with the g13 and the og nukush, but barely. i'm going back to a 5 week veg now so we'll see.

i will run the g13 again after i test these other strains.

this whole turbo pulse thing is experimental. i have not been able to draw any conclusions regarding it yet. i need to run it for a few months.

remember, the largest plants i have grown to date were grown using the 1/4" drip line and a much smaller pulse.

mcfly, thanks for the info!

To the smaller pulse timing: I thought they require/want a dryer medium for some small amount of time, after the feed cycle. Is pulsing 64 oz/30min (more) actually feeding them more by requirement or just moving the juice from one rez to another? In my brain, the overflow accomplishes nothing. My logic (again and not always spot on) the larger feed line (pulse) is only to reduce the possibility of feed line clogs.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
To the smaller pulse timing: I thought they require/want a dryer medium for some small amount of time, after the feed cycle. Is pulsing 64 oz/30min (more) actually feeding them more by requirement or just moving the juice from one rez to another? In my brain, the overflow accomplishes nothing. My logic (again and not always spot on) the larger feed line (pulse) is only to reduce the possibility of feed line clogs.

there really is no need to dry the medium as long as the roots are well drained and sit in an extremely porous medium between pulses. in fact, this drying could hurt your yield if you allow too much.

nutrients are not taken up without the presence of water.

obviously the "turbo" pulse is way more water and nutrients than the plant actually needs.

every time the pulse fires and the solution travels through the medium in wave-like fashion it is moving gases around in the medium.

these gases include but are not limited to, nitrogen, oxygen, and co2. these three are the primary gases found in soil in nature. typically in the top 18" of the substrate.

so, every time we pulse we are refreshing the gas parameters as well as the water and nutrients.

this is mechanical more than chemical.

the 64 oz's per 30 min is an experimental attempt to keep all the root zone parameters in the range where maximum growth occurs.

roots, water, nutrients, and root zone gases at optimum potential.

we may already be doing it but if you look at IF's scrog grow you can see a point where the plant "turned on". it exploded with growth. got too big for the tent. i can tell that he was surprised by his reactions so he saw something different happening than he had seen before.

this was the first time he had tried the massive over pulse. i think it was the only thing different.

i need about 13 weeks to test it. if it is not helping i can just dial the pulse volume back down and carry on as per normal.

Latest posts

Latest posts