What's new

passive plant killer

bloyd

Veteran
Happy turkey day d9. Your contributions to ic have truly changed my life! Hope you are happy, healthy, and high as hell!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey delta - good to see you around!!
Ive been offline for a while... god what a story..
How'd your operation work out, are you feeling a bit more solid?
Happy turkey day!! :pumpkin: :peppermintstick: :eggnog:

that surgery is ancient history now! like a bad dream! i have dismissed the trauma that memory produced. i try not to drag excess baggage around with me everywhere i go. feel great, time to motivate!

good to hear from you!

d9

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey Delta, are your pulse times/volume the same in early veg? and while it's on my mind, why is it that there isnt a secondary wick fashioned into the bottom of the rez (along with the 1.5" drain tube), that does not reach the rez water level but ends in the GAP, which would evacuate, more quickerly, any standing pulse juice, back into the rez?

It's starting to get quiet in here!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hope everyone is well, and their projects are moving along smoothly.

same to ya! i've been busy buying supplies. bought 10 bags of turface. another bale of rice hulls. my third 25 lb bag of jack's. still got some of the original 50 lb bag of calcinit but i'll have to buy more soon. cool tubes, light bulbs, and relays are all here and are waiting for me to do something about it.

i have not finished the "turbo" pulse set up in flower. i can only work on it during lights on and i'm usually pretty tired by then. soon.

the heavier pulse in veg has been running for quite a while and is producing larger average plants in the same 4 week time frame.

i was getting 30-32" plants and now they are reaching 34-36".

been running g-13, og nukush, and rene nuken. the g-13's true value lies in it's breeding potential. drgtb said everything he touches with it gets bigger.

it a good, potent, industrial strength plant but lacks a strong individual character in the sense of flavor.

the rene nuken is potent but bland so i'm dropping it entirely. not gonna keep a cutting.

the og nukush is a very nice plant. gets big and has a beautiful high and flavor.

while i was waiting for a clone to get big enough i grew out a purple nukush, also from cck. this was just a whacked up seedling in a one gallon pot of turface. maybe got an oz from it. but i found a real keeper. outstanding flavor and aroma and an uplifting, soaring type high. i've got a cutting going into flower tomorrow.

also in rotation are an iranian13 with a week of veg left, a chem13, and an isis.

these will be followed by a dope, a trainwreck, and a sour13.

clones growing of ohzone, which is a chemdawg4 x og kush cross.

still in process of sexing matanuska thunderfuck, jazz, and colombian sky. all sativa dominant.

have shishkaberry x shishkaberry x juicy fruit mom and dad i'm working on.

the most interesting hobby in the world!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey Delta, are your pulse times/volume the same in early veg? and while it's on my mind, why is it that there isnt a secondary wick fashioned into the bottom of the rez (along with the 1.5" drain tube), that does not reach the rez water level but ends in the GAP, which would evacuate, more quickerly, any standing pulse juice, back into the rez?

It's starting to get quiet in here!

hey! i'm pulsing 32 oz's once per hour in veg at all stages. the limiting factor for me here is the pump bucket volume. with a 4" gap the buckets are holding approx 2.5 gals. but because of the pump intake height you can't use it all.

in flower with 9 stations that would pump the bucket dry. so i'm in the process of building a larger pump chamber for flower. i'm using a black 20 gal sterilite tub from wally's. it's going to get a valve to control refill rate. depending on what i find out from this i will possibly put a larger pump container in veg also.

about the wick. i don't think a second wick would get enough extra performance to justify the trouble. the tail piece already drains the pwt very fast.

hanging a wick in free air as you describe will slow the rate the pwt drains and then retain liquid as it forms it's own pwt higher up than an immersed wick.

it gets kinda freaky when it's quiet in here.

hey, is anyone doing any threads with ppk's anywhere? stranger had one going before he dropped off the planet. doing a great job. i hope he's ok.

gregor_mendel

Has anyone considered "halo" rings for ppks?

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=12238

The one I linked to is 9" diameter - good for our buckets. They are also available in 6" and 12".

Its not obvious in the picture, but they connect to 1/2 vinyl hose.

A little spendy at $9 a plant, but I like it in theory because I have attempted to build something like this in the past with pvc pipe in my oven, which failed.

If the holes turned out to be too small, you could always open them up a little.

MedScientist

hey, is anyone doing any threads with ppk's anywhere?

I found one when I Google'd "mPPK Journal". Pretty Lame! Your Journaling has helped many people learn, and grow, and GROW, beyond their previous abilities.

I, for one, am fortunate to have been following along! You ROCK!

mcfly420

Im not sure what hose would be best (clear/black or 0.5-1in), but maybe you could melt/drill 10-15 ~1/8in holes in the hose and use a T fitting/ zip ties to secure it around the rim of the bucket? You should be able to control the water with the zip ties and not end up with a wet floor.... I guess it would have to be removed to get the roots out though, but it shouldnt take much time/$$$ to setup

I dont think Ill be pulsing anytime soon but ^ if I do try it

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hey! i'm pulsing 32 oz's once per hour in veg at all stages. the limiting factor for me here is the pump bucket volume. with a 4" gap the buckets are holding approx 2.5 gals. but because of the pump intake height you can't use it all.

in flower with 9 stations that would pump the bucket dry. so i'm in the process of building a larger pump chamber for flower. i'm using a black 20 gal sterilite tub from wally's. it's going to get a valve to control refill rate. depending on what i find out from this i will possibly put a larger pump container in veg also.

about the wick. i don't think a second wick would get enough extra performance to justify the trouble. the tail piece already drains the pwt very fast.

hanging a wick in free air as you describe will slow the rate the pwt drains and then retain liquid as it forms it's own pwt higher up than an immersed wick.

quote]

OK, thanks but one other thing: I believe you said (previously), that if one is pulsing X and it is overflowing then one is pulsing too much volume per pulse - pulsing too long. I buy that. You say here you are pulsing 32oz /hr and not overflowing.. are you still useing 3.5 gallon buckes, yes? How did you sort out that 32oz pulse figure? Is it a calculation or a physical mesurement? I can not manage 1/2 that amount without some overflow.. I've been wresteling with this for months now. Thanks for the strain report... you are 'going off' whith multicroping. Have you found that one strain wants more or less PPMs? or is it each individual strain must 'sink or swim' at 750PPMs and you'll drop the ones that dont 'swim'?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Has anyone considered "halo" rings for ppks?

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=12238

The one I linked to is 9" diameter - good for our buckets. They are also available in 6" and 12".

Its not obvious in the picture, but they connect to 1/2 vinyl hose.

A little spendy at $9 a plant, but I like it in theory because I have attempted to build something like this in the past with pvc pipe in my oven, which failed.

If the holes turned out to be too small, you could always open them up a little.

thanks gregor! i didn't know those existed. the 6" one might be good too.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I found one when I Google'd "mPPK Journal". Pretty Lame! Your Journaling has helped many people learn, and grow, and GROW, beyond their previous abilities.

I, for one, am fortunate to have been following along! You ROCK!

sneaky! sneaky! sneaky! subtle, aren't we! thanks for the kind words! you da man!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Im not sure what hose would be best (clear/black or 0.5-1in), but maybe you could melt/drill 10-15 ~1/8in holes in the hose and use a T fitting/ zip ties to secure it around the rim of the bucket? You should be able to control the water with the zip ties and not end up with a wet floor.... I guess it would have to be removed to get the roots out though, but it shouldnt take much time/$$$ to setup

I dont think Ill be pulsing anytime soon but ^ if I do try it

hey, mcfly! i tried that and couldn't get even flow with my tools/technology. i also tried splash plates, diffuser nozzles, and some other stuff but the terminal apparatus i show works really well and gets the most from the pumps.

nice to hear from you!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

quote]

OK, thanks but one other thing: I believe you said (previously), that if one is pulsing X and it is overflowing then one is pulsing too much volume per pulse - pulsing too long. I buy that. You say here you are pulsing 32oz /hr and not overflowing.. are you still useing 3.5 gallon buckes, yes? How did you sort out that 32oz pulse figure? Is it a calculation or a physical mesurement? I can not manage 1/2 that amount without some overflow.. I've been wresteling with this for months now. Thanks for the strain report... you are 'going off' whith multicroping. Have you found that one strain wants more or less PPMs? or is it each individual strain must 'sink or swim' at 750PPMs and you'll drop the ones that dont 'swim'?

well, after imaginary friend's scrog experience i started playing around with the heavier pulse too. to be able to pulse more without putting water all over the floor IF and then i drilled the bucket lids like the pic below. this captures the pulse over flow. the larger diameter tubing allows it to be returned faster to the control bucket.

i'm pulsing an arbitrary 32 oz's in veg right now as that is near the maximum capability of my pump bucket to function without the pump running dry. IF was doing 64 oz's in his experiment.

when i finally get done installing the heavy pulse system in flower i'll have a lot more volume to play with. if my experiments there work out i'll go back and do the veg system too.

i did measure the 32 oz's with a container, though.

about the multiple strains, i have found 750 ppm to work well with all plants.

this is actually hard to explain as in the past using other methods of growing i have had plants bitch about not getting enough or getting too much. there is something about this system that evens this out somehow. it's obvious that the plants are all feeding differently from the same trough.

taking what they need from the pool and the pool is being maintained at sufficient levels.

we aren't done yet, there is still a lot to understand

Last edited:

oldone

Hi D9 and company,

The ingenuity of the ppk crowd astounds me and makes for fascinating reading. Well done everyone.

What I haven't seen is much about the new strains you are running. How about an update?

OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hi D9 and company,

The ingenuity of the ppk crowd astounds me and makes for fascinating reading. Well done everyone.

What I haven't seen is much about the new strains you are running. How about an update?

OO

what? my post at #2750 wasn't good enough? you know your statement includes you!

i know what you want, pics! i'll see what i can do but everyone else needs to put up some too. let's see some plants, people!

mrcreosote

Veteran
Hey D9,
Thought I'd stop in to report...nothing. Even with my half-assed set-up that's not quite complete yet, PPK's work so well it's almost boring to grow. No drama, (except when I turn plants and forget to put the top feed back and flood the joint) no ph or ec problems using Maxi-bloom (because I had it) and I still have more plant than a single 400w can handle.

I gotta hand it to ya, it's a totally noob-proof way to grow that anyone can do with ease. You are a genius to us lazy types who would rather not fiddle and fail.

Looks like I don't have much to do except watch my flowers fatten up and get frosty and hope my earliest finisher will provide a very mellow Christmas. A few buds getting a quick dry may not be very tasty but with a little fresh trim qwiso I'm sure I'll get over it.
Santa may be getting screwed out of his milk and cookies this year.
Cheers D9.