What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

ambr0sia

Do y'all think that the FV-11VQ3 (110cfm, 4" exhaust, $107 shipped at that link!) would be enough for a small 150W perpetual cab? It'd have to pull through the main intake darkroom louvre and the darkroom louvre seperating the flower / veg, as well as through a Bulénath-style carbon filter....

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
ambr0sia said:
Do y'all think that the FV-11VQ3 (110cfm, 4" exhaust, $107 shipped at that link!) would be enough for a small 150W perpetual cab? It'd have to pull through the main intake darkroom louvre and the darkroom louvre seperating the flower / veg, as well as through a Bulénath-style carbon filter....

Panasonic FV-11VQ3 WhisperCeiling™ 110 CFM, 0.8 Sones Ceiling Mounted Fan
# Air Volume (CFM) 110 / (94 at 0.25" static pressure)
# Noise (sones) 0.8
# Power Consumption (Watts) 30.7 (30.6 at 0.25" static pressure)
# Energy Efficiency (CFM's/Watt) 3.6 (3.1 at 0.25" static pressure)
# Speed (RPM) 810 (979 at 0.25" static pressure)
# Current (Amps) 0.26 (0.25 at 0.25" static pressure)
# Power Rating (V/Hz) 120/60
# Motor Type Condenser
# Type of Motor Bearing Ball

[WRAP] Panasonic FV-08VK1
WhisperGreen™ 80 CFM, 0.3 Sones Standard Ceiling Mounted Continuous and Spot Ventilation Fan with DC Motor
# Duct Diameter (inches) 4
# Air Volume (CFM) 80 at .10" statistic pressure 82 at .25" statistic pressure
# Noise (sones) <0.3 at .10" statistic pressure
# Power Consumption (Watts) 11.1 at .10"" statistic pressure 21.5 at .25" statistic pressure
# Energy Efficiency (CFMs/Watt) 7.2 at .10" statistic pressure 3.8 at .25" statistic pressure
# Speed 733 at .10" statistic pressure 987 at .25" statistic pressure
# Current .09 at .10" statistic pressure .17 at .25" statistic pressure
# Power Rating (V/Hz) 120/60
# Motor Type DC
# Type of Motor Bearing Ball [/WRAP]

I compared those specs to make my decision.

What is the volume of the inside of your cab? Subtracting the whisper line's volume mine is 8.8 cubic feet. At 80CFM I theoretically get ~9 air changes per minute.

Bare 150w HPS econno lights remote ballast.

Today's ambient temperature before I turned the lights on was 67F. No fans running or anything before. Tops out about 77F in there. The carbon filter is not full yet, but I don't think it matters much. A 120mm PC fan @ ~80CFM is louder! :sasmokin:

Last edited:

ambr0sia

catman said:
What is the volume of the inside of your cab? Subtracting the whisper line's volume mine is 8.8 cubic feet. At 80CFM I theoretically get ~9 air changes per minute.

The cab is very small, approximately 32"Tx 32"Wx18"D; My concern isn't with the amount of air exchange, but rather the fans ability to maintain pressure through two darkroom louvers and a carbon tray. Do you use the Whisper Celing yourself? What do you think of it?

Last edited:

catman

Veteran
I have the 80CFM DC. FV-08VK1.

You have ~10 cubic feet so I'd imagine your temperatures will be about the same provided the ambient is the same.

I don't think the carbon tray is much to worry about. I have not been able to test its effect on odor, but Bulénath will tell ya it works and he's a pretty sharp dude =]

I haven't used the darkroom louvers? What size are they? Those fans have 4'' out-takes which is 12.56 inches^2. You want to match the intake, but you'll want more intake to maintain negative pressure. I'd just go to town on the out-takes by trial and error.

T

texsativa

What size diameter is that intake vent? How do you hook up a scrubber to it? Has anyone seen one of the blower adapters that will allow a scrubber to be attached to the intake? Thanks

Edit - Can the Panasonic adapter be used in this way?

W

Woall

anybody know if the Whisperline Ceiling fan can easily be positioned in a vertical wall, rather in a horizontal ceiling?

S

Surfr

Does anyone have any experience with the 440 inline fan? I am thinking about getting it for my 600 watt cab... I need to know if the noise reduction is noticeable over a can fan in similar size..

jasonk

anybody know if the Whisperline Ceiling fan can easily be positioned in a vertical wall, rather in a horizontal ceiling?

Same question ^ anyone? If the fan is fine, the difficult part would be keeping the carbon in place, but not impossible...

iv got a 50cfm low profile whisper fan and im planning on useing it with my mini fridge. the question i have is will 50 cfm be enough to pull thruogh an 8"x8" darkroomvent and then a scrubber while still keeping temps in check? lighting will either be 150w HPS or 200w CFL.

lordbudly

Veteran
double post, thread lagged or something cause a whole new page appeared and then my post(s) showed up, sorry guys!

lordbudly

Veteran
would i be able to hear a 340 or 240 cfm inline fan hooked up to a carbon scrubber 4 feet away with nothing on except a computer? could i blame the computer? like a patse? someone were to come into this room and i say "oh its the computer" like freezerboy says, if u hear a lion at a zoo its like yeah, you hear a lion in a bedroom and say its a computer they call you a liar

how big do you guys think id need to cool a cab 28"x57.5"x6" with 420 watts?

catman

Veteran
would i be able to hear a 340 or 240 cfm inline fan hooked up to a carbon scrubber 4 feet away with nothing on except a computer? could i blame the computer? like a patse? someone were to come into this room and i say "oh its the computer" like freezerboy says, if u hear a lion at a zoo its like yeah, you hear a lion in a bedroom and say its a computer they call you a liar

how big do you guys think id need to cool a cab 28"x57.5"x6" with 420 watts?

Not a chance! You could have a hypothetically entirely silent fan and you would still hear the wooshing air. My cab containing my 80CFM whisper is three feet away from my computer and I can confidentially say no one would suspect anything of it. I also can close my closet door so nobody knows there is a cabinet anyway.

The only way to keep noise down is to keep heat generated down and to have properly designed airflow. You should seriously consider PPL lamps for the most light per heat generated. If you have limited air flow due to noise restriction then you must lower your wattage.

In order to stay around the PC level sound I don't think you could go any higher than the 110CFM whisper which is rated at 0.8 sones at low static pressure.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
would i be able to hear a 340 or 240 cfm inline fan hooked up to a carbon scrubber 4 feet away

With windows open, assuming you've used: a muffler, scrubber, speed control, insulated duct, fan isolation box and a huge mound of foam to bury it under; you'll be able to hear that puppy across the street and down the block. Those things are mind blowing loud.

If you can lock it away where no one will ever visit (attic, hidden bunker etc), they're great. In a common room, I'd avoid them at all cost.

lordbudly

Veteran
With windows open, assuming you've used: a muffler, scrubber, speed control, insulated duct, fan isolation box and a huge mound of foam to bury it under; you'll be able to hear that puppy across the street and down the block. Those things are mind blowing loud.

If you can lock it away where no one will ever visit (attic, hidden bunker etc), they're great. In a common room, I'd avoid them at all cost.

hahahaha freezerboy your stories about inlines are funny because of the crazy scenarios you come up with, i actually ment the panasonic inline "design" i believe its basically a squirrel cage patent whisperline technology in an inline body, its like a box with an intake and exhaust spot like this
http://www.westsidewholesale.com/whisper-line-240-cfm-6-duct-in-line-fan.html

but to be honest i think i have a problem called overshoot your overshoot your overshoot your overshoot.... i started at 80 cfm and some how climbed to 240 cfms questioning a 340 cfm, but i saw a 4000 watt hps grow and they were using 480 cfm, im not honestly going to produce half the heat of a 4000, in theory i should be using 48 to 100 cfms, so could someone answer my above question maybe? would i be able to get away with the 110 or 80 cfm panasonic whisper for 420 watts of cfls (10 42w's) with a glass hood ?
panasonic.jpg the lines are "paths of airflow"

Last edited:
E

EvilTwin

Lordbudly,
Since you already have a 240, why don't you just use that with a voltage controller? then you can dial it in to the perfect level.

Ya, Freezer-boy has obviously never heard a Panasonic. When I'm in my grow room, I have to touch the fan to feel vibration to be sure it's running. Granted, the whooshing of air movement is outside the grow room, but damn these things are quiet.
ET

lordbudly

Veteran
Lordbudly,
Since you already have a 240, why don't you just use that with a voltage controller? then you can dial it in to the perfect level.

Ya, Freezer-boy has obviously never heard a Panasonic. When I'm in my grow room, I have to touch the fan to feel vibration to be sure it's running. Granted, the whooshing of air movement is outside the grow room, but damn these things are quiet.
ET

i dont actually and im trying to figure out which one i need, and freezerboy has had bad experiences with inlines, im sure he thought i ment a normal one, not a panasonic fan put into an inline body

E

EvilTwin

i dont actually and im trying to figure out which one i need, and freezerboy has had bad experiences with inlines, im sure he thought i ment a normal one, not a panasonic fan put into an inline body

My Mistake Lordbudly...
I thought you said you had a 240cfm. But my advice is the same. Get one more then adequate for the job and then dial it down with a controller.

Freezerboy was probably referring to Vortex fans...but this whole thread is about Panasonic Whiperlines.
ET