What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

if u read the original post i believe these whisper fans are made to run at 150cfm regardless. I do not know personally but from what i've read people say these fans actually work harder when there is resistance on either the push or pull end of the system. assuming they have some sort of sensor that actually does this, these fans are bad ass!quote]

wouldnt it be possible to still be able to adjust the speed if the speed controller worked with the sensor? :witch2:

floydfanx6

picture.php

how do u connect ducting to 1 of the ends,,,1 end is obviously easily,but for the other end what do u need a special flanger?

E

EvilTwin

picture.php

how do u connect ducting to 1 of the ends,,,1 end is obviously easily,but for the other end what do u need a special flanger?

I'd look for a through-wall fitting in ducting section at Home Depot and mount it on a chunk of 1/4" plywood.. Then bolt to the fan flange.
ET

addendum: These fans are available with flange at each end so don't buy this version unless you need it for a specific application.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

overtheedge

I'd look for a through-wall fitting in ducting section at Home Depot and mount it on a chunk of 1/4" plywood.. Then bolt to the fan flange.
ET

I'm looking to do something similar. Just wondering-- how does the size of the duct relate to intake? Would a 4" duct be better than a 6"? Thanks.

E

EvilTwin

I'm looking to do something similar. Just wondering-- how does the size of the duct relate to intake? Would a 4" duct be better than a 6"? Thanks.

I'd suggest looking at what the intake side is attached to and what size is going to fit best. If there's a reduction to 4" anywhere on that side, then a 6' duct would offer little gain.

Seems best to keep the intake same size as the output side like any other fan.
ET

overtheedge

I'd suggest looking at what the intake side is attached to and what size is going to fit best. If there's a reduction to 4" anywhere on that side, then a 6' duct would offer little gain.

Seems best to keep the intake same size as the output side like any other fan.
ET

Thanks EvilTwin-- that makes a lot of sense. I was toying with the idea of making a big intake, like 8-10", but it'll be connected to a 4" so I'll go with a 4". Cheers.

hey guys i just got my panasonic 150 cfm yesterday and removed it from the caseing that it comes in. i was wondering if anyone knows if it can be mounted standing up like in the pic, without doing any damage to the bearings of the fan? and will it still be as quiet out of the caseing? thanx ahead of time for any help on this matter. peace

E

EvilTwin

Hi disfunktional...
What does the technical info say...the directions? All I can tell you is that I installed my 240s vertically when the more common installation would be horizontal and one has been in service for 2 years continuously with no increase in sound.
ET

floydfanx6

so i got the panasonic whisper 340 cfm,,its a very nice fan and very quiet
**THESE FANS DO NOT WORK WITH FAN CONTROLLERS
they do work,,but when u put it on the speed controller it makes an aweful humming,thats even worse then a normal inline fan noise. i thought at first it was the fan and i was very upset.
as soon as i removed the fan from the speed controller it stopped humming. so if u plan to get 1 of these fans it will not work with a speed controller

ZAPOT

Just tried to look for a sound sample of this panasonic whisper fan from youtube but didn´t find one. Can somebody make some sort of a sound demonstration about this fan compared to some sound that everybody knows so it would be very easy to hear the silence of it and post a link over here too?

ZAPOT

so i got the panasonic whisper 340 cfm,,its a very nice fan and very quiet
**THESE FANS DO NOT WORK WITH FAN CONTROLLERS
they do work,,but when u put it on the speed controller it makes an aweful humming,thats even worse then a normal inline fan noise. i thought at first it was the fan and i was very upset.
as soon as i removed the fan from the speed controller it stopped humming. so if u plan to get 1 of these fans it will not work with a speed controller

I´m pretty much sure that you can find an AC speed controller that´ll work with this fan. You just need to understand the principals of that model to know which one to choose..

Maybe it would be easier to find some suitable parts for a modification of the Whisper GREEN model that runs on DC power? Change the motion action sensor to photo diode or similar.

ZAPOT

Ok, even though it will be a little bit of work for me i´m going to try to get this whisper ceiling fan work in 220V/50Hz grid with power alternator connected directly to the DC motor in it. So i´m going to pass by the normal power (120V/60Hz) alternator in it if it can be done.

We don´t have anything near this quiet over here at this price and i do need a fan installation that can work off the normal grid also so this would be very beneficial for me. If no-one has any better ideas to give me then i would very much like to know the specks of that DC motor in it. I´ve tried to look for it but haven´t found yet.

Shiherlis

I have the whisperline bathroom ceiling fan, 80 CFM.

In the manual it has a diagram of ducting running in the shape of an elbow, out from the exhaust. There is a line through this diagram indicating that this is a no-no. I'm using this fan in a small grow tent. I was going to sort of hang it from the top bars. The fan's exhaust would blow horizontal, but the tent's exhaust hole is in the roof. So I want to connect the fan's exhaust to this hole in the roof with curved ducting. It wouldn't be as sharp of a bend as the diagram with the line through it in the manual, but I don't want to do anything unsafe or wear down the fan's motor. I'm visualizing the ducting to look more like a banana than an elbow... do you all think moving the air through a banana piece of ducting would lead to any trouble?

Shiherlis

I am using my 80 CFM whisperfan to exhaust my Homebox XS. I'm running a 250W HPS that has the ballast integrated into the lamp's housing, so the light puts out a lot of heat. I wouldn't try this setup at any time of the year other than winter. Right now I have the fan hung in such a way that the intake faces horizontal, so the exhaust can blow out the top of my tent. I didn't want to have to blow through a curve of ducting like I described in the above post. I am trying to figure out the best way to use a carbon filter of some sort and I'm starting to wonder if this fan will be powerful enough, after you factor in the loss of CFM's caused by sucking through carbon, to cool a 250 W light. If I can keep ambient temps pretty cool do you all think I could get away this setup?

Tar Heel

this was a very helpful thread, and I would like to start out by thanking you for all the research

I just got a 400w mh/hps setup and was wondering what would be the best way to incorporate these fans in a wardrobe sized growbox-23 sqft. thought maybe splitting up two smaller ones, with one running through a cooltube, unrestricted, and another running with a carbon filter

any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated