What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

mark lar

Jakeh, check out the Pasasonic Whisperline inline fans, different from the Whisper fans. I originally purchased a ~125cfm whisper fan only to find out the Whisperline 240cfm was cheaper and just as quiet.

huntingbb

Feedback - buddy got the whisperline, the 8" duct 450cfm model, I'll get the exact model from him later today and post this week. Seemed like inline design, has brackets to mount to walls and struts. Its surprisingly loud and bulky at full speed, and lower speeds were somewhat ineffective over 400w of light. I think a good vortex style fan with insulation layers and batting layers in a bit of a box would be just as quiet. I recommend getting the stuff that's flame retardant just in case. Anyway, so one vote against this bugger, it had issues with just a 600w in line with it and a few bends. (ducting loop was tried both as input 6" -> hood 6" -> fan 8" -> exhaust 8" and input 8" -> fan 8" -> hood 6" -> exhaust 6" respectively). Totally useless when trying to add an icebox in, however the chiller was also at fault, so more on that in a few months when said buddy starts over.

MMJcali

hey ventilation engineers, what size should the intake holes be at the bottom of the cab for this fan? the outlet diameter is 4", but the intake surface area of the fan is 10.5 inches square....following the 10% larger intake rule:

10% more than 4" could be done with two 3" holes.

but 10% more than 10.5" square...sheesh, you'd need two 8" and a 3" I think...

Thanks!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The easiest solution is a 4" hole saw. One hole at the top for exhaust, two at the bottom for intake.

MMJcali

The easiest solution is a 4" hole saw. One hole at the top for exhaust, two at the bottom for intake.

and if your exhaust is on a shelf in a separate sealed off compartment at the top of your cab, I'm guessing you would need 2 4" holes in the shelf to give the fan access to the cab and 2 4" holes at the bottom of the cab to give access to outside air?

sorry if thats confusing. thanks for the help!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't do the multi chamber thing.

My guess would be yes and you may want to consider 3X main intakes.

Jebfx

I got a small box. stealth. About 30x20x25 inches. Planning on using a small 63 w led panel (penetrator pro).

Would a 80CFM Panasonic whisperline ceiling fan be able to pull through carbon layer? How mouch carbon would i need for this setup?

I go for the panasonic because of its quiet. But its kinda big so I loose some room in my box.

If you know a better solution feel free to suggest it :)

Jebfx

I see the grill is 13 inches so I guess i need 13 inches for the fan + 13 inches( the panel is 12,5"), then 26" in cabinet length at least?

Or can the fan be mounted vertical and exhaust through the top of the box?

I just have to say I bought the 110 cfm model of this fan a few months ago and it was awful, a complete waste of money. After about 4 days it started getting louder (and it wasn't so quiet to begin with) ... My 6" vortex is much quieter.

Jebfx

I just have to say I bought the 110 cfm model of this fan a few months ago and it was awful, a complete waste of money. After about 4 days it started getting louder (and it wasn't so quiet to begin with) ... My 6" vortex is much quieter.

Did you buy the Panasonic Inline? Or a Panasonic Ceiling fan like the one in the picture, 1. post.?

Did you buy the Panasonic Inline? Or a Panasonic Ceiling fan like the one in the picture, 1. post.?

It was a panasonic ceiling fan exactly like posted and it was one of the better models (there are 2 lines, one quieter and more expensive). The goddamn thing is absolute garbage. These are NOT made for pulling through any static pressure and turn to complete dogshit when you try to do so. I merely tried to pull through a carbon filter and even let it exhaust straight out (with no ducting or pressure on the exhaust) and the carbon filter was plenty large enough (low static pressure) and the goddamn thing couldn't handle it. I assume that's why it got slightly noisier. The whole thing is pretty much made of plastic and the casing is pretty weak. You are going to want to tape it and screw into it and then fitting to it is a royal pain because it doesn't have a regular 4" or 6" so you have to fit and tape flush up to the intake or make an adapter, or make a large square that fits the whole thing. My 6" Vortex is LEAGUES quieter than this thing. It's not overly loud but it has a signature noise kind of like a car muffler, the overall noise isn't bad but it isn't constant it changes some so that it is much more noticeable.

I replaced it with a 4" Delta fan, the one with 27" of static pressure, and got a computer speed controller. I am still not happy because although this was less louder than the panasonic it is still too loud. I'm beginning work this week to soundproof the cabinet using a dynamat knock-off, build an insulated box for the fan, and make a home-made duct muffler in efforts to quiet the goddamn cabinet.

Jebfx

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I am unsure why there has been different expierences with this fan, maybe someone else has similiar expierence with the newer fans .

Did you build a adapter and connected a can filter or did you use the DIY in the first post?

If so,
How thick was your carbon layer?
Or how big was your can filter?

I first started with the DIY in this post, problem being it didn't pull worth a shit, so I figured the problem was the surface area of the filter. A cylinder filter is going to have much more surface area than a square one, so I got a 150cfm bought filter and connected it using a custom made adapter... Still didn't pull worth a shit.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
@ squirrel: maybe you got a defective fan or you didn't prefilter well and the inside got real dirty? I've bought 3 of these and I'm happy with all of them. I have a 110 pushing through a 1" layer of carbon on a 10x10 tray and it pulls through it just fine, doesn't even "gear up'.

also the fans DO come with standard 4" and 6" ducting...if you hooked up plastic flexy dryer ducting that stuff is not always 4" and maybe that's where your fitting problems came in. I know that I hooked up another whisperfan last nite and a 4" piece of hard ducting fit it perfectly. ...did you make sure to properly prefilter the intake so it didn't clog your fan and filter?

I really don't see how you can say that a 6" vortex is quieter, no disrespect but I'm gonna call user error on this one....or faulty equipment. Or possibly the wrong fan model...do you have the model # still?

D

dramamine

StealthDragon--- I totally agree. I have a 290cfm Whisper Ceiling and use it as the only exhaust for my 6x6x7 flower room. It pulls through about 2.5 inches of carbon, the ducting is standard, like you said, and it's much quieter than a vortex or what have you.

I seem to remember something being said about some other panasonic models having non-standard sized ducting, but I don't remember which fans they were.

Anyway, the guys having trouble with the fan being loud or inefficient might have another model or something. There are a lot of panasonic whisper fans, but the whisper ceiling fan is the only one that is specifically made to self-compensate for static pressure. If it is really that shitty, I would exchange it for a new one because these fans do work and work well.

pho

Just bought a 400+ CFM Whisperline fan for my room as well as a Whisperlite bathroom exhaust that I'm going to mod like in this tutorial. They arrived yesterday while I was at work and I'm going to set them up today. Can't wait!! Fucking Vortex fans sound like jet engines!!!!!!!!

Jebfx

Could some of you with 80CFM ceiling fan post the size of the whole fan without the grill? Im designing a microbox and want to be sure that it fits.

As for now I think I have to put it vertically.
Kinda big fan for a micro grow but I asume this is the most quiet alternative out there which can pull through a carbon filter!

Jebfx

The regular 80CFM ceiling fan is > 0.3 sone. I could go with the Lite model, the 50CFM has the same sone > 0.3, but the 80CFM lite has 0.5 sone.

Is this a big difference in sound?

The box is small, about 60x70x70cm. I guess I dont need so thick carbon layer,but would the 50CFM be able to pull through it at all? I really want to go with 80CFM to be on the safe side.

big twinn

Veteran
Ok i dont understand how to attach the cool tube tubing to the standard 150cfm whisperfan....for a cooltube setup do i need an inline panasonic whisper fan? if so where can i find one in 150cfm...having trouble finding one!
thanks!