What's new

Panama

MrFancyPlants

I have a Panama that is currently in 12/12 and is reaching the end of the second week of flowering. I would like to try to get a consensus as to the proper light schedule for flowering this strain. I am considering 12/12 for the first 2 weeks of transition, then dropping down to 11/13 for the next 8 weeks, then 10/14 till harvest. What light schedules do you use? Any help is appreciated, Thank you!

I grew with 13/11 to 11/13. But I was also growing her side by side with a Honduran and a Malawi, which are less adapted to indoor. So, like OZZ suggested, it makes sense to try 12/12 next time. In any case, she was very quick to set flowers after the switch, so no issues there. After she started reflowering around week 10-11, I stopped all feeding (I use third/quarter strength fish hydrolysate) and switched to 10/14, hoping to speed up the finish. I feel like it may have helped, and the switched seemed to have a similar effect on the other sativas in the tent. Harvested at 13 weeks. Next time I will probably add two more weeks to let her bulk up and mature even more, chopping at 14-15 weeks. And I will also NOT be growing her in 5 gallon bags next time
watchplant.gif

chusss

A couple pics of my panama with pink pistils, i dont have smoke it yet

Attachments

• 030420202641.jpg
    030420202641.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 030420202650.jpg
    030420202650.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 30

Kissgardens

Ended up missing taking pics on week 11 but here she is for week 12.

As she is still reflowering, the trichomes where starting to turn amber, maybe ~10%, I decided to cut her down. It was super interesting to watch the leafs fade to a dark purple / black.

In these pictures, I bet you can't tell I have animals. ;-)

Pretty excited to sample these soon.

Attachments

• 2020-07-18 Panama.jpg
    2020-07-18 Panama.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 2020-07-18 Panama 02.jpg
    2020-07-18 Panama 02.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2020-07-18 Panama 03.jpg
    2020-07-18 Panama 03.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 44

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Hi all Panama Lovers-

I have had the pleasure of growing out a few panama plants outdoors / under polycarbonate in the UK this summer.
They are just coming to their finish now - I have been putting them in a dark place each night for 12 hours in order to force flowering. This means that I can flower the more temperamental sativas in the hotter part of the year, rather than in September/October.

My favourite 2 had big fluffy buds that were absolutely loaded with trichomes and stank heavily from early on.
1 smelt very strongly of Sweet Vanilla and Lemon - very much like a baked US Cheesecake.
The other was less vanilla and more pepper instead but still sweet and quite similar.
The quality of the terpenes really is superior on these 2 plants. Very very refined. More like a perfume than an aroma!

Unfortunately Cheesecake did suffer from a little bud rot but Pepperface did not at all.
I had a perfect Double Thai male F2 (an absolute stonker from a later release) so I hit both those Panama beauties with the pollen (as well as an F1 female from one of the very first Double Thai releases)

The goal of that cross was 2-fold:
1) use the best, most refined Panama females in order to tame that Thai with respect to flowering times and growth vigour and to add some yield and resin quality to the Thai male.
2) From the other perspective, the quality of the Thai highs will hopefully shine through and lemony scents should absolutely abound....all without using any indica genetics.

My only worries are the bud rot in Cheesecake and the sheer time it takes to start the Perfect Thai male. Maybe careful selection will help. Panama is the female so hopefully will dominate a little with flowering times and flower initiation.

Pepperface has glorious physical flower quality (see photos) and Perfect Thai had a glorious plant structure and was fuzzy with resin on the stem, shoots and male flowers (I may still have a photo somewhere..)

The sheer quality of the aromas and resins has blown me away. I grew Panama before many many years ago but these seem much better - perhaps that is just my own sativa growing experience?

Grover Sativa

Veteran
I tried to get some obvious photos of the seeds swelling in their bracts. I hope you can make them out amongst the resin!

I can't wait to try Cheesecake Thai!

a few more photos. They are all from Pepperface, I think. (Tomorrow I will try to get some of Cheesecake):

Grover Sativa

Veteran
The other Panamas had huge yields and much tighter buds but less resin and quieter aromas (mainly of sweet vanilla and chewing gum)

One of them has really struggled with The Ol' Greybeard (bud rot) whilst the other has not blinked an eye. I have to admit that the dark place they go to at night does not have great airflow and I pack the plants in there quite tightly, too. I should think about how I can improve that aspect next season. Small wall mounted fans should do the trick? Less plants?

If I were to go anywhere with the Panama, for UK growing, mould tolerance would be a trait to look out for - exactly half of the Panamas showed no signs of mould whatsoever, both from the fluffy and tight phenotypes - and I really do like the aromas and resin quality of the fluffy flowered females as well as 'tame' nature of the sativa.

I also notice that those tiny little indica-like red plants that used to pop up in the very early releases of the Panama have totally gone now and that the refined terpenes and rain quality are now 'through the roof'.

What a fantastic plant - worked much better than I thought it would here in the UK. I can't wait to smoke it - especially Cheesecake. I love that smell so much. Very refined.

GS

Mimpi Manis

Panama cure and smoke (vape) report... sort of.

Panama cure and smoke (vape) report... sort of.

There can be no doubt that some strains definitely change and (generally) improve with a few months on the cure. Panama has taken on some lovely floral notes after about three months in the jar. Effects are now what I'd call pretty stoney. Some minor top end and euphoria. A little body... but it didnt stop me gettin' the house work sorted. (A mans work is never done!) Are the more heavily Indica leaning strains similarly improved by a good long cure in a similar way to the sativas... any of you well travelled afficionado's?

So what would I cross this baby with for a bit more top end? This will likely piss a few of you off, but GHS Strawberry Haze would be a good match I reckon. But there you go.

The Panama definitely has some desirable attributes... rocksteady genes with all that excellent work done up to the F13's by ACE. Crikey, that'd be a fair slab of ones life outdoors wouldn't it? Which is my lot actually. (50 years and counting). Lady Jane has been quite the muse for this old Hippie black duck. Shame most of the world still hasn't caught up to all the good things on offer. Here in particular. More to go round I suppse? Lj.

PanColaFin-web.jpg

PanCure-web#1.jpg

PanBud#2-web.jpg

Pan3-web.jpg

nldfarmer

Maybe this is better for an email, is there a rough timeline for the more modern Panama breeding? I have Panama fem ordered 09/2017 and am wondering where that falls in the timeline. I could be totally wrong but was this around when the line was recalibrated around the Panama Goddess?

I have 3 fem seeds left and am wondering what to expect out of them.

Mimpi Manis

You said:
What a beautiful flower!

Yep. The sheer genetic diversity and range of this plant is amazing. I reckon the Goddess of all things spent a little extra time on the Green Lady. Even the Goddess has to have a hobby. :smoke: Lj

Loved the Steven Stills link. Man he's one tasty player aint he?

-Rioht-

Hey guys,

Ordered some Panama reg seeds and will be starting an indoor grow soon.

Any recommendations on nutrients/feeding these beauties to ensure I get some a great harvest out of these?

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Hey guys,

Any recommendations on nutrients/feeding these beauties to ensure I get some a great harvest out of these?

Mine were 100% organic and grew great. Lush from beginning to end.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey guys,

Easy growing solid plants. Great feeders . You’ll have no Problems with moderate to heavy feedings during peak flowering. :headbange

mcoocoo

Just finishing up week 10 of 12/12 flowering and the plant is still putting out white pistils and all of the flowers are starting to build fox tails. Would dropping the lighting to 11 hours instead of 12 help them start to ripen?

Grover Sativa

Veteran
Just finishing up week 10 of 12/12 flowering and the plant is still putting out white pistils and all of the flowers are starting to build fox tails. Would dropping the lighting to 11 hours instead of 12 help them start to ripen?

It is not necessary to wait for every single pistil to die before harvesting. Harvest when you want. If the majority of the flowers are swollen, the plant stinks and the resin glands are swollen and on stalks, you can harvest. It is a growers tilt.

mcoocoo

Thanks Grover Sativa, I would rather not have to go to 11/13 with this plant. She is really plumping up her flowers now. She started to re-flower a bit in week 10 but the fox tails are swelling right up, filling the flowers out nicely. The trichomes are mostly cloudy and starting to stand up on their stalks. I will probably harvest at the end of week 11, maybe a little later. I Would like to make sure most of the clear trichs have turned milky.

-Rioht-

Mine were 100% organic and grew great. Lush from beginning to end.

Thanks! I'll be using coco + perlite and Gail green organic amendments so hopefully mine turn out great as well.

Dubi, if my seed batch of regular panamas were from batch 07-ABR-2020 (guessing that's April?). Any info on what phenos I could expect from these?

Latest posts

Latest posts