What's new

Panama reg’s go micro

OZZ_

Veteran
Looking great in that micro, Ozz

Thank you and happy New Years!

Day 50 12/12 looking great, throwing those sexy pink pistols too! Fade is coming on strong but what ya gonna do, she looks happy

picture.php

picture.php

:dance013:

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks for showing us your pink bits OZZ_ and happy new year.

Right back at ya frosty! Can anyone tell me if this fan leaf die off I’m having at this stage is normal? It bothers me but it seems to happen on all my grows starting fairly early on depending on the strain. Not sure if I should just accept it or try to rectify it. I’m seven weeks in now and I think I started seeing fade at like 4-5

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi OZZ_

Glad to see you have found a pink pistiled Panama and that you finally managed to fit our sativa genetics in your micro indoor space :)

Looks like your Panama is having some feeding problems yet she is still flowering quite nicely, and i'm sure she will provide a tasty and strong smoke,
hope the experience also helps you to learn about the feeding requirements of your cannabis plants for future grows.

It's very important to learn about the EC and PH you are providing to your plants in case you want to finish them healthy and up to their full potential.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi OZZ_

Glad to see you have found a pink pistiled Panama and that you finally managed to fit our sativa genetics in your micro indoor space :)

Looks like your Panama is having some feeding problems yet she is still flowering quite nicely, and i'm sure she will provide a tasty and strong smoke,
hope the experience also helps you to learn about the feeding requirements of your cannabis plants for future grows.

It's very important to learn about the EC and PH you are providing to your plants in case you want to finish them healthy and up to their full potential.

Hi Dubi, thanks for dropping by! I’m using organic soil. A mix of promix hp and happy frog soil, with added work castings and perilite, lime, a granular fert and some kelp meal. I’ve git her with some molasses a few times and top dressed two weeks ago with more work castings, a tablespoon of granular and a tablespoon of kelp which did help tremendously but yet, I’m getting these early fading leaves.

What do you suggest I do?

Range

I can't speak for dubi, but I'm wondering, do you pH your water?

Also, have you checked the pH of your soil?

Simple test kits for either water or soil usually cost $15 or less.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi OZZ_,

I would suggest to get a digital PH and EC meter so you can learn about the PH and EC of your waterings and feedings. It's an investment, but you will learn a lot about how to feed properly your plants, and they will widely reward you.

OZZ_

Veteran
I can't speak for dubi, but I'm wondering, do you pH your water?

Also, have you checked the pH of your soil?

Simple test kits for either water or soil usually cost $15 or less.

Hi Range,

Thanks for the input as always. I have not been doing that. I was using RO water for the first half of the grow with 5 ml/gallon of cal mag added. Then halfway through my RO filter failed after only 4 months of usage! Water started tasting really bad. So I had to switch back to chicago city tap water filtered through a britta pitcher filter. I have no idea what the parameters are and I’m sure that’s probably the problem.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi OZZ_,

I would suggest to get a digital PH and EC meter so you can learn about the PH and EC of your waterings and feedings. It's an investment, but you will learn a lot about how to feed properly your plants, and they will widely reward you.

Dubi, I appreciate you stopping by and your advice. I have had Ph pens in the past, but they always seem to be so finicky and always go bad on me. It seems if you don’t keep them wet they go bad and/or start giving wrong readings. They seemed to be a huge pain to keep them working right. Also, I’ve been told that I’m soil it shouldn’t matter as long as you have the right soil mix with the appropriate buffering components added in.

With that being said, however, I do believe I could benefit from one. Do you have a brand you recommend?

OZZ_

Veteran
I heard a rumor somewhere that the FoxFarm soils have fungus gnats......can anyone confirm, or deny?

I haven’t had any problems, but going forward I’d probably just stick with my straight promix/worm castings/perilite mix. I won’t be buying any fox farm soils in the future

BenoitV1984

Veteran
I'd say it is fertilizer related. Organic input using live bacteria and mycorrhiza won't tolerate salt (i.e they will die), and I mean salt chemically speaking, so not NaCl but an ionic association of anions and cations. As far as I know, those ph/ec +/- thingies are exactly that.

Side note about that... That is exactly those kind of salt based fertilizers and resulting industrial farming which have been destroying earth soil and mycelium for decades thanks to industrial farming, using god-knows-what war chemical shit left-overs Monsanto decided to rebrand for farming.

Do you know what happens with lignin based organic matter when you remove mycelium from the equation? Well, as no other organism on earth can process lignin, nothing actually.

Also, I’ve been told that I’m soil it shouldn’t matter as long as you have the right soil mix with the appropriate buffering components added in.

OZZ_

Veteran
I'd say it is fertilizer related. Organic input using live bacteria and mycorrhiza won't tolerate salt (i.e they will die), and I mean salt chemically speaking, so not NaCl but an ionic association of anions and cations. As far as I know, those ph/ec +/- thingies are exactly that.

Side note about that... That is exactly those kind of salt based fertilizers and resulting industrial farming which have been destroying earth soil and mycelium for decades thanks to industrial farming, using god-knows-what war chemical shit left-overs Monsanto decided to rebrand for farming.

Do you know what happens with lignin based organic matter when you remove mycelium from the equation? Well, as no other organism on earth can process lignin, nothing actually.

I don’t use salts, organic only.

My soil mix is a 50/50 split of fox farms happy frog and promix HP with added perilite and extra work castings.

Ferts is a general granular (Dr earths from Home Depot) with kelp meal and added dolomite lime.

An occasional molasses watering here and there.

Also I top dressed about three weeks ago with some additional work castings, and an additional spoon of the dr earths and kelp.

Yesterday I hit her with Neptune’s fish/seaweed and plan to do so again on next watering.

Range

I have had Ph pens in the past, but they always seem to be so finicky and always go bad on me. It seems if you don’t keep them wet they go bad and/or start giving wrong readings. They seemed to be a huge pain to keep them working right.

Absolutely agree. I've now resorted to the inexpensive pH drops to check the pH of my water, based on the same experiences as you. One bottle of solution lasts many hundreds of tests and it's so quick, cheap and foolproof.

I run organic but have found that because the pH of my water is so high (over 8.0) I still need to pH it down to about 6 - 6.5 for best results. I use regular "pH Down" which is simply phosphoric acid. If I don't pH the water, I find I still get deficiencies, and they usually show up around week 3 of flower, especially phosphorous deficiency. Which makes sense if you look at the following chart:

soil-ph-chart-marijuana.jpg

Now I'm just guessing here, but from what I can tell you may be dealing with a similar issue. Note the information for the pH in this report on the city of Chicago water:

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam...erQltyResultsNRpts/ccReports/CCA-2019-1-2.pdf

So you can see it is up at around the 8.0 mark at both treatment plants.

Referring back to the pH and nutrient diagram, this could potentially cause you some issues with phosphorus and magnesium, which if you Google "phosphorus deficiency cannabis" and "magnesium deficiency cannabis" look similar to some of the fan leaves on your Panama. Multiple deficiencies are always trickier to identify though.

Ultimately I wouldn't stress too much, the buds are still looking well-formed, and you get the fun of being able to incrementally make adjustments to fine-tune your grow, which in my opinion is what keeps it interesting and challenging.