What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pakistan Yarkhun @ Mriko

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Yeah the West logically closer to the Nuristan, where people was able to acclimatize cannabis to the higher max possible altitude! That's the true birth place of the "indica ancestor" i think, Kafiristanican vibes!

Nuristan is geographically and culturally (and environmentally too I think, much greener) quite far away from Yarkhun and the valley is relatively narrow so the main difference would be about sun exposition I think.

Funny guardian for the precious, and hand-picked by yourself hey you definitely have to perpetuate them before they fossilize in the fridge man. So you probably save the best for the last, sacré toi

You of little faith... ;) The Pattrangas seeds are the very first one I grew, back in 2003. Good Lord, almost 20 years, that's crazy!

Purple Yarkhun, on the right, seeds have been shared on both sides of the pond (unfortunately never got any real feedback from the breeders who received it). I still have some but for some reason never managed to get them to germinate, they crack open, how a bit of white and that's all.
I have gotten much less seeds from Yarkhun Glory behind me, I guess it would be wise to give them a try this year although that will be indoor.
Both superb plants with top notch end product, but I remember the Glory when still very young, at about 2 feet tall, already reeked of a super sour skunky smell. On especially warm days and even specific times of the day (morning and before sunset) the pungent scent would fill the whole garden, and the wind sometimes would sometimes would blow it accross the house right up to the street. A 2-feet tall plant!! :peacock:

It would be tremendously fantastic if I can get the Glory seeds to germ an do therir thing the right way. I think I have less than 10 of these (not shared with anyone), will have to be most careful).

Loviing the pure kush smell like that, i bet it will be a good body relax one enjoy the aroma medecine ruya!

Wait and see, the Purple Yarkhun, related to the Blue Yarkhun dad, had a very nicely relaxing high, strong but not overpowering, with the mind pleasantly wandering, but all in al rmaining functionnal if needed, but the Laspur Gold was very spacey, near pychedelic and sometimes overpowering, debilitating and destabilising, was too strong for some of my friends. My, yeah, when I think about those glorious days, this one was particularly potent.

And congratz beautiful shots, jolie poupée!

Hehe, thanks, but all I do is pushing the button, all the credit goes to my old faithfull Dimage Z20 5Mp, 15 years old next month and still doing great!

Irie! :wave:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hehe, thanks, but all I do is pushing the button, all the credit goes to my old faithfull Dimage Z20 5Mp, 15 years old next month and still doing great!
Anyway the range of your views is scientifically perfect, good job man!

And yes the blueish green transmitted by the dad is a good save, it's rare nowadays to see that in modern hybrids. I found some with X18, Kerala ans Swazi too. Maybe related to high UV?

Ornamentally pretty but also genetically interesting!

The Pattrangas seeds are the very first one I grew, back in 2003.
Aaah it reassures me, it was the thing to start with according your vibes lived! :biggrin: So fingers crossed for the revival of your last ten and a possible reproduction! At worst even if there's only one male or one female it would be nice to combine that with the already saved Miragram x Laspur, triple happy end to explore.

Nuristan is geographically and culturally (and environmentally too I think, much greener) quite far away from Yarkhun and the valley is relatively narrow so the main difference would be about sun exposition I think.
More higher also i wonder ? Full micro climate oasis surely, well chosen by the ancient sages! Nuristani people is trace of a very old civilization, antediluvian imho.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone!

Alright, from now on I've decided that rather than doing so now and then, Monday would be update dayand, hey hey, Monday it is!

KushKush is still doing lovingly, with on most noticeable change, the glue/burnt rubber scent seems to have shifted to a sweet fruity one, I'm a bit baffled here, that's unexpected!
Can't identify precisely which fruit for now though. Seriously, ths morning I check them, as my nose get closer to the buds I start to feel this kind of warm feeling that comes with the scent, a clear mi of glue and burnt rubber, no question about that. I come back about 3-4 hours later, go to have a whiff, but no feeling of warmth around the nostrils (uh?) and, and, and waaaaaaaah? Fruity scent!!!
In a matters of hours...

I didn't the males indoor of course, just put them outside and let them do their thing. One's been eated by sigs & snails and out of the 3 remainings, one appears to flower faster than the others and when rubbing the stem I was pleasanty surprised to smell a clear perfume of thyme. I actually checked wether I ha rubbed a nearby thym pant by mistake, baaha ! So yeah, definitely thyme perfumed.
It's a bit oddly shape (no outside intervention, grew like that all by itself...), but hey, give freaks a chance!

Irie!

ngakpa

Veteran
Hi Mriko,

Great to see you!

fwiw, I agree with you:

The differences in hashish quality (and reputation) within Yarkhun are about terroir - e.g. soil quality, exposure etc.

I doubt there is any significant variation in genetics between villages - even from Patrangaz to Laspur

Cannabis pollen is produced in huge quantity and travels at least 5km, potentially even 50km

There will be more variation between plants in one field than from village to village along the valley

And there is cultivation in every village along Yarkhun to Mastuj to Laspur

And yes, about Nuristan:

It's down river from Yarkhun (same river becomes the Kunar) - but it's separated by at least 100 km of the Hindu Kush, and the highest mountains of the Hindu Kush at that

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Hey ngakpa :tiphat:

Long time!

The differences in hashish quality (and reputation) within Yarkhun are about terroir - e.g. soil quality, exposure etc.

I doubt there is any significant variation in genetics between villages - even from Patrangaz to Laspur

Cannabis pollen is produced in huge quantity and travels at least 5km, potentially even 50km

There will be more variation between plants in one field than from village to village along the valley

And there is cultivation in every village along Yarkhun to Mastuj to Laspur

For sure, "Bongo" is cultivated in all villages in the valley, even grows feral in some places, but when friends in proper Chitral restock on seeds for their personnal stash, they always get them from Pattrangas.

Pollen can even travel thousands of kilometers with ad hoc conditions, but I've been wondering for some time how far it is actually able to travel in a moutainous environment and my thoughts & feeling about it is that it only spreads on quite short distances, a few km at most.

More thoughts on that later, I have keyboard problems andd typing is taking muchtime...

Who wants some KushKush??

Still beautifull as you can see, resin is slowly starting to show up and buds give off a lovely-yummy sweet fruity scent, with light musky and bitumen tones, nom nom nom ;p
I'll probably try to reveg her after harvest, daylight lenght will be perfect then for that! But let's take her first to maturity eh?

Irie!

ngakpa

Veteran
but when friends in proper Chitral restock on seeds for their personnal stash

in conversations I had with farmers in Chitral about Cannabis, they all understood the crop to be the same - "just Cannabis" - regardless of location

the emphasis was always on the quality of the land as being responsible for the quality of the product

i.e., the reason Chitrali charas is good, in their view, is that the land is good for growing Cannabis (and not much else, they always say)

farmers in the Himalaya have exactly the same mentality, unless they have experience with outsiders (Westerners, mostly)

i.e., variation in the plant and product is about terroir

I had trouble explaining the concept of strains to Chitrali farmers I spoke with

ime, the only people who readily got the idea were the young guys, who had been working down in Peshawar

one brought some Afghan seed to his village, and he kept a plant going which grew into a massive tree (I guess it was the Mazari landrace)

the others I spoke with thought I was talking nonsense when I said there are different types of Cannabis in Thailand. They understood the difference as a function of the environment.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hey Mriko how is it going for spring bro, fruity kushkush suites in the box? Enjoy bro...

Here i play a F3 project for my Pakikush, definately full indica influence from the X18 as expected and wish since the F1 idea. The Yarkhun in the cross pass its more vigorous and branching traits. Well by hoping good clean repro and selection, some few intersex and herma ones to clean up ^^ Vive les landraces!

Pakikush F2 (X18 x Yarkhun)
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	17855945

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Hey Mriko how is it going for spring bro, fruity kushkush suites in the box? Enjoy bro...

Hey bro :wave:
Long time...

Not at the moment. Waiting for this session to be done (by mid-July or so), then for the following one I'm planning to do a session exclusively with seeds I've brought back. Yarkhun of course, but will throw in some Yarkhun x Parvati (provided they germinate...) and Hunza Thunj as well, still haven't tried this one out, shame...

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Cool time as an illusion ^^

I look forward your other valley of Yarkhun, maybe a little variation compared to the valley already explored and worked. x Laspur and x Parvati ok good suite bro! I am especially interested if you find some full short BLD like X18 or Deep Chunk, rare but not impossible i think. How are the Hunza Thunj btw, sativesque slim pistils like Yarkhun?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Well, there were lots of variations among the plants I hand-picked the seeds from and it showed in the plants I have grown outdoor, from the Purple pheno to the Tree pheno to the Blue male. Beside the pure Yarkhun, I also have some pure Sor Laspur left that I haven't tried either indoor. I hope I can do a repro with these, shame I haven't done it yet actually, idiot...

About the Hunza, the plants I have seen in situ were indica dom, rather massive, but I've seen also quite a few 12-footer shaped like a large ball. Big round bush on top of a thick trunk. From the little feedback I have received, there is selection work to be done, as plants range from the hempy type (high CBD maybe?) to wacky white pheno, fruity flavors or more kushy ones as well. Those I'll work on seeds from a reproduction done in Spain some years ago.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ha Hunza repro already done very nice, with multiple parents? Knowing herma or intersex report maybe? By hoping good improve vibes that's the difficulty with landraces, so many different kinds of specimen and terpenes to find or not and hempy ones yeah! The panel of breeding is pretty large, many lines in the line can be selected and prior with some Afghan or Pakistan ones lol birth kind ol place too, the variation like sativa/indica is intense!

I look forward your pure Hunza work Mriko, it seems to be more indca BLD than the Yarkhun finally! Vibes bro :smoke:

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Ha Hunza repro already done very nice, with multiple parents? Knowing herma or intersex report maybe? By hoping good improve vibes that's the difficulty with landraces, so many different kinds of specimen and terpenes to find or not and hempy ones yeah! The panel of breeding is pretty large, many lines in the line can be selected and prior with some Afghan or Pakistan ones lol birth kind ol place too, the variation like sativa/indica is intense!

I look forward your pure Hunza work Mriko, it seems to be more indca BLD than the Yarkhun finally! Vibes bro :smoke:

Greetings everyone,

Unfortunately those Hunza projects (and all others) are gonna have to wait for some time. My mom passed away last month and the only reason I still have a roof above my head is because the landlord takes loooong vacations during summer and is not back yet, neither is he aware of the news. He'll be back in less than a couple of weeks, and knowing the guy, there are 99,99% probabilities he'll happily kick me out, which will make me homeless. Therefore no growing possible for a while.
I'm gonna sell the seeds I made from this latest grow pictured above, and many others as well. I'll post a thread about that later today, but if some of ou guys want to receive the listing just send me a pm.
Take care everyone,

Irie !

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Be strong and positive Mriko, and be proud bro having taken care of your mother's old age is like a wealth that should bring you happiness in the future. My condolences to you and yours.

Je te consellerais de demander un HLM à la campagne, tu vas trouver un bon plan tkt, un petit jardin est aussi possible et avec les allocs tu verras ça passe crème. Je croise les doigts pour toi poto.

So please keep a good part of your seeds with you, la roue tourne tu verras... Irie!

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Thanks bro :)

Les formalités sont en cours côté logement, mais ça va prendre un certain temps car en laissant de côté une bonne partie de ma vie pendant des années, j'ai fini par me déconnecter totalement de l'administration. Jusque début Juin je tournais avec mon passeport périmé depuis 2014 et j'ai des années de retard avec les impôts (pas imposable, mais ça bloque plein de trucs, tu parles d'un idiot...

And don't worry, I have no intention to sell all my seeds. Only a small fraction of the, pfew, I don't know, 400 to 500 entries? :p Dang, I dream of a football-sized piece of land to lie and grow on :p I need to do some germination test first, but for some entries such as Hunza Thunj, Mazar e Sharif or Malana Jungli I have hundreds if not thousands of seeds. I'll never grow them all, so better not waste but share! Also the repro/preservation I made this past couple of years, such as Shirin Gol, Master Thai's Green Dragon or Waipi'o Hapa and maybe a few special F1s as well. But that's not the thread to discuss it, I just pray I'll be able to start a new grow session before the end of this year Insh'Allah :)

Irie !

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Thanks bro :)

And don't worry, I have no intention to sell all my seeds. Only a small fraction of the, pfew, I don't know, 400 to 500 entries? :p Dang, I dream of a football-sized piece of land to lie and grow on :p I need to do some germination test first, but for some entries such as Hunza Thunj, Mazar e Sharif or Malana Jungli I have hundreds if not thousands of seeds. I'll never grow them all, so better not waste but share! Also the repro/preservation I made this past couple of years, such as Shirin Gol, Master Thai's Green Dragon or Waipi'o Hapa and maybe a few special F1s as well. But that's not the thread to discuss it, I just pray I'll be able to start a new grow session before the end of this year Insh'Allah :)

Irie !

Sacré toi :) take care bro! And good luck with your seeds release, if i can help let me know !

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Finally Paki kush F2 from Roms. I did a small run earlier this year but got all males. Now I want to see this through!

kush.jpg
pakik.jpg

(I managed to collide one of the plants with the reflector right when I was taking them out for a picture. Lost all of it's leaves but it'll live. This pattern of screw ups is exactly why I need my medicine!)

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hey Thule good luck with them :) if needed let me know the last F3 is better and more stabilized. The second generation was something like 25% intersex or true herma despite its stable parents X18 and Yarkhun. I think that this recessivity come from the Yarkhun landrace side, with time and more generations the inbreeding will solve the problem but need careful and selection. Cheers bro

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hey Thule good luck with them :) if needed let me know the last F3 is better and more stabilized. The second generation was something like 25% intersex or true herma despite its stable parents X18 and Yarkhun. I think that this recessivity come from the Yarkhun landrace side, with time and more generations the inbreeding will solve the problem but need careful and selection. Cheers bro

I'll keep that in mind, thanks :) I'm hopeful there are treasures in the F2 as well.

Any hints on how to recognize the Yarkhun dominant phenotypes? Do you think CBD, THCV or other rarer cannabinoids made it to the hybrid? I wouldn't mind. Did anyone have the Yarkhun tested?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
THCV not impossible but rare i think, this hybrid is more 1/1 ratio of THC and CBD. No THC/THCV explosion like for the Afghan potent MIS lines, This double Pakistan isn't a THC winner but the combo with CBD is nice, cool relax body with soft energy, not as potent high as MIS i mean. But just my thoughts and feelings, need to true lab test all, look forward the results next years to devellop better conclusions... :D

About differences to recognize the Yarkhun is more narrow leafed with bigger distance internodal, flowers are more sativa too. The X18 is opposite broad leafed with hard buds, small stature and less stretch. Also Yarkhun ones are longer flowering.