What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OUTSIDER ART

fulltimehuman

:dance013:ha ha I love walking thru the hood and seeing this kind of art. Pure free expression for the world. There are about ten different creatures on this lawn! :dance013:
IMG_3668.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DAT

wow that is so wicked. where do you live>? there aint nothing like even close to that coolness around my hood. its pathetic . hopin to land a gig in Portand OR.. fuck man keep your fingers crossed 4 me , this could be the big break ive been waiting 4.
get out of this seattle BS. and live in a more Progressive Cool Place.
Im working on a couple paintings get those picks up 4 u tonite.
Also found a dispensary that shows art and looks like I might actually be able to make a couple bucks from the crowd I see in there and , tips jars were overflowing.

fulltimehuman

nice! Im in long beach socal. Its so full of culture its like a fungus. Im aching to do the oposite and get just a little closer to nature. I miss her

DAT

id love to kick it LongBeach 4 a while. check out the scene for a while, toke on the beach. see whats shakin in the art scene over there. The LA Modern Museum pretty good. I saw a real good Photography show there years ago of Cindy Shermans.
and Charles Bukowski is from San Piedro. I would like to visit his grave. But the outdoor get away scene is pretty lame. The dry terrain dosent appeal to me.

DAT

im really working a lot on the new painting. What i was afraid to do in the last Trichome painting i decided to do with this small painting. I took it to another level by adding the spiral image over the initial trichome layer. I had some really terrific parts that i worked over . not sure how this one will play out but and this is rather challenging for me.This might turn out to be a big ugly mess but i needed to paint this out this to answer some questions about depth and layering.
my cuts and clones are finally looking better.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The sprial and its effects do add some dimension and more color varients. :good:

That must be the industrial sized phototron?

(I put some pics up just for you :) )

DAT

hi WG! I have the orginal classic phototron that they no longer make. I got it back in 2008. I don't think it is industrial size. its the largest size that they make back then . it has T4s on the top and T5's on the bottom. The lights are u shaped.
I saw your pictures and they are super cool. I will add the trichomes to my pistils in my new large painting like your photographs had.

fulltimehuman

Lookin groovy! I used to rock a phototron too. And yeah I love San Pedro.And Bukowski! I have a cd somewhere of jpgs of pages and pages of hand typed poems etc. true poet. Just a little drive out around the corner from San Pedro and theres even hiking trails out in Palos Verdes! Hey anytime your in socal or wanna come well make room Ive always got a room couch etc. but my wife will talk your ear off....be forewarned haha. I still haven't 'integrated into the scene' art wise here. I have a few friends with art collectives even a gallery that actually sells stuff but that requires putting together a group of art...etc. I have always been an awful curator. Your paintings are cool!:tiphat:

DAT

damn we have a hella lot in common. I feel like jumpin the first flight to LA to hang with you and your wife. Its so hard to meet cool people up here. ever hear of the SEATTLE freeze. such Phonies. Buk is king. I will never forget picking up my first book by him when I was living in Philly. I spent the next month devouring everything he had ever written.

DAT

im seriously struggling with this painting. Im not having fun and trying to relax but the tension is maddening. I have such highs and lows creating my art. Im trying real hard not to analyze my work as I make this piece.. and I want to back away from it but cant. Its become an obsession. im moving in a different direction but I don't know what that direction should be anymore. I look at it from a distance but don't want to. Im focusing on the surface but not too much...I was doing those trichomes but now its not about trichomes anymore and I don't know if I want it to be.

DAT

WHOO HOO I just had a major break though to another level with the painting. I JUST FUCKIN LUV sharing these narcotic moments with U! im dancing again,:dance013: the music sounds great :dance013:and im on top of the world now.( celebrating with some fresh Dog Kush a magical Breeders Boutique strain)woof woof
PEACE OWt and have a wonderful Thankgiving!!!

DAT

Austrailian Aboriginal.
Art has always been a part of their life naturally. it would be super fun to sit with them for a day, week, year.. and be a part of the art tribe. its kinda dream of mine. i think about them a lot in the studio.
PEACE
im going out to my studio now. Im terribly discusted with my painting. I was thinkin about getting that new Chucky doll and doing a photo series of him with his butcher knife stabbing my painting and shredding it to pieces.
Im going to attempt to draw live from my flowing tent tonite as my FireBall is just lookin so spectacular its really got my attention.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
That's a huge change and quite a departure from classic DAT. A case of taking it too far? Ive had lots of art-centric friends and exes so I know how easy it is to stop too soon or not soon enough.

Do you like Paleolithic art?

DAT

I don't think its taking it too far. I destroyed my art periodically through my life . I have made so much art that has just been destroyed and tossed into the garbage after spending months creating it . Ah let me tell you , the best photos i have ever taken were of my husband ripping apart a 10 ft by 10 ft canvas collage , it can be very very sexy..Installations filled with stuff, here today gone tomorrow.. its all about the process. I would do it but I don't have the money to buy a chucky doll right now.

I like Paleolithic Art and would dig doing a hike up to some to see if i could feed in on the ancient vibes.

I have been growing now for 7 years and making ganja art the entire time. Not once have i ever sat in front of my plants and attempted to draw them, not until tonight.
Hella bright with the 600 watt HPS. gotta wear sunglasses , sunscreen and a big rim hat.

DAT

FIREBALL still life

FIREBALL still life

the set up for My very first Ganja Still life drawing.
2 Fireballs and One BluePit starting to stack and fill in nicely
. under 600 watt HPS.:biggrin:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I get it. I end up doing that with most of the stuff Ive created, be it an artwork or something written. Tend to do it with my possessions too. I get tired of seeing all the detritus of the passing years.

I like that photography idea. I bet you got some amazing shots. Was your ex open to being photographed? Ive done a few sittings and always had trouble not being goofy - a defense mechanism for feeling uncomfortable. That would really make that ex angry and disappointed.

Chuckie would be funny and lewd if you made use of all the aspects of his personality.
-----------------------------------------

I couldn't help but think of Ayers Rock and the stone art there with the mention of Aborigines and that made me think of cave art. Talk about doing something for the process. Its mind boggling to think that someone would crawl into the spaces that they did, without the convenience of electric light, to paint someone that possibly no one else would ever see.

I wonder if the artists were also the smartest of their groups/tribes. As if they painted in these places understanding human curiosity and knowing that someday someone else would be there - leaving like a reward for their perseverance.

EDIT: Very nice!!! You got skillz Dat

Former Guest

I used to work for an artist and her home was just spectacular in a gloomy sort of way. she took the old plastic dolls and tore their limbs off and made décor with them. she painted wooden chairs in the dotted type art that's tribal looking. she collected ravens and they were all over her place and she had black floors?!?! the color collage was ruby blood red, black, white with lots of natural wood furniture; some painted. she also did wire art by taking one long piece and twisting it in spirals forming the shape of naked men and women. everything was just so clever and it reeked of genius. I will have to try and find her name as it's been so long and I will see if I can find her art online to show you.

I love your pieces DAT :huggg:

Freet

LLB, You were jerking my chain big time, then I found the fun shares album... I recognize that lap.. Your not the only one that loves DAT to pieces.. Had me going for a while... Not really, the syntax is so different..:dance013:

I don't mean to pigeon-hole your work DAT, but I get such a nice Chicano feeling from some of your graphite pieces. The self portrait is super. And I have really enjoyed fulltimehuman's woodcuts and collage. DAT since you are great in graphite, I wanted to ask what pencils and paper are you using?