What's new

Outdoors in California 2013

drfarm

Just a comment about the root aphids. Triazicide(spectracide) as a drench wastes them. tried the bayer tree and shrub once but the feed formula they have in what i used was intolerable. I will try the neem drench from links in this' to resist other pests. Ive a great trial room for that..lol (dang bugs) my main thought everyone should know is that any oil product (forbid, azamax, neem, organicide, etc...) is present sometime at 3 weeks, in some form. Running a butane extractor, i guarantee that even a minimal portion of treated plant in my half pound extractor will ruin the entire product. Greenish black nasty oil that will never form up. So i dont know its still toxic for three weeks, but in some level the residue is still present. Havent yet used anything but spinosad outdoor and cant comment on pesticide residues outdoor, but dont ever foliar late is my belief everywhere. (note: i believe trizicide wastes the rhizozphere too..just another thought)

Inspiring garden Mendo :) testing your fotos now in my od garden with a little half time peptalk. I hope they get the idea. Beautiful place there Mendo!

OLDproLg

Veteran
How crisp that country is,just beautiful.....

Gonna look like a city of SKY SCRAPPERS by the end times......
Has to be the best cali spot i ever seen!!!

Hey MENDO,why dont ya mulch those beds?
Just a thought,keeps them much happier......
Lg

mendo420

Veteran
I top dress.
The mulch gets in the way and starts weeds.
I tried mulching 1 season and these plants are way better than those.
Thanks

I just dumped ACT this morning.
I don't think the plants could be much happier!

Its critical mass in the garden. The plants are blowing up.

talktosamson

Veteran
I top dress.
The mulch gets in the way and starts weeds.
I tried mulching 1 season and these plants are way better than those.
Thanks

I just dumped ACT this morning.
I don't think the plants could be much happier!

Its critical mass in the garden. The plants are blowing up.

I also don't mulch or do straw on top of my pots and beds like some do. I also do a lot of top dressing and teas and hay/straw just gets in the way or makes it impossible before its all over with.

C

CountryGoldGuy

Looking good.

We mulch , apply teas, topdress. Nothing limits the others.

Saying that these plants are better than those in the past because you aren't mulching is not the way to look at it. Without side by side and proper control no conclusive results can exist.

I tend to agree with people that say "million ways to skin a cat" , I agree with them more when they have 200 lbs of cats and still want 1 of mine.

Beautiful light dep shots. Keep it going!! :tiphat:

You should see the full potential of the plants in pots that size. I've noticed in my 45 gallon the biggest plant is only as wide as the smartpot is.

I'm curious to see if any of those max out at pots width.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
I'm very curios how far the roots will spread in this beds. The biggest plant I ever seen with my own eyes shown roots no longer that 2 feet apart from the main stem and they went like 1.5' deep in the dirt, but this was happening on local soil which was plowed only 1' deep.

Keep up the good work !

OLDproLg

Veteran
Agreed,plants will shade the pots.......

YUP id say that is a good way to look at it!!
WHEN YOUR GROWING SKY SCRAPERS hahaha..
So cool dude....
Lg

talktosamson

Veteran
Holy crap that Mendo Dream is a monster....Ive always wanted to cross Urkel with Blue Dream. Call it Laura Winslow, because she was Urkels Dream right? :)

gonanchoa

nice plants!!
is it possible to put more soil than what the plants needs?? I mean like wasting money on excess soil that the plant dont use... your smart pots are huge!

talktosamson

Veteran
nice plants!!
is it possible to put more soil than what the plants needs?? I mean like wasting money on excess soil that the plant dont use... your smart pots are huge!

No...in the full sun where Mendo gardens, there is no such thing as too much soil, those monsters will use every damn inch before the season is over. I've had plants split my 2-300 gallon smarties and try to grow into the clay and I don't have even close to as much Sun as this dude...

mendo420

Veteran
You can never have enough soil as far as I'm concerned.
I have a plan and I'm sticking with it.

Some academic published an article about pot size limiting plant size last year.
check it out.

I love the 800's.

Every time I work in that garden I shit my pants. It is awesome.

my largest plant is in the 400's but time will tell.

mendo420

Veteran
Holy crap that Mendo Dream is a monster....I:)

My mendo dream = blueberry x mendo purple.
Its a dream to work with, grows HUGE and trims easy.
All the trimmers love working with it.

I'm going to cross Mendo Dream to Blue Dream this season
along with 30 other crosses and the S1 projects.

Lots going on in the seed department!!! :biggrin:
This years testers are looking GREAT (as you can see).

I'm extra excited for all the chem4 crosses shit is FIRE!!!!

Just harvested Purple Mendo Dream x Chem4 and smoked for the first time last night. Yummy! grape stoneyness.

V

Veg N Out

Mendo Dream sounds dank. Did you reverse the Mendo Purps or have some of the original seed stock from the same old timer that gave Jason Kings ex girlfriend those couple seeds the purps came from?