What's new

Outdoors 2013 Blue Suger, Chem#4, BB OG let it fly!

furrywall11

:peacock:

Hi, thanks for reading I'm really stoked to be able to share my grow this year and I'm very desirious of all the grow tips that the pros use to make this look easy so let's get started. I didn't finish my grow log last year but no excuses this time.

I'm doing 15 200 gl smarties, 15 300s, and 3 or 4 30 gls all in Vermifire soil. The setup is on a nice terraced hill that gets good to very good sun. The line up is 12 Blue Suger (Blue Dream X Suger Kush), 12 Chemdawg #4, and 10 Blue Berry OGs. I'm running General Organics, ACT, with a couple doses of Overdrive at the end, b vits for stress, and I'm learning about doing some foliars and top dressings.

The trend in my neighborhood, that I almost went along with, is to take cuttings on April 1st, be vegging outside with supplemental lighting by the 20th, the idea being that fresh young plants that haven't undergone the stress of numerous transplants would catch up with any dinosaur vegged from feb and, with a lot less work. Most people around here aim to get about five lbs per plant but, there's one guy who, using the young plant method, got 10 lbs out of a 200gl smartie. SO, I almost went with it and then I was offered a batch of clones in February that I couldn't pass up so I started vegging then. I had a buddy watching the plants for a while and he forgot to transplant, they got root bound, nute locked, went into a kind of woody pre-flower mode and didn't grow for a month but this was probably a good thing because these plants, which recovered when I got back and transplanted them, are going into the ground six feet tall with the pot!! And bushy too!!

Which brings me to my first question.. Where can I find the link on effectively working with very large plants? Or maybe someone would be willing to offer some advice? I really don't think the 5 foot tall cage method that I had planned is going to work here hehehe. I'm concerned about a little bit of LST to spread them out a bit and support against the wind now. I've really never worked with plants this large on my own so any advice is welcome :)

Here are a couple pics. I'm realizing that I need to be out there around to get the good pics so these will be getting better. Sorry about the finger in the shot I was trying to block the sun :)

ChemDawg #4
IMG_1586.jpg

Row shot
IMG_1589.jpg

Light dep
IMG_1540.jpg

furrywall11

Hey, all...Just wanted to add that I live in California and I'm growing medicine per the allowances of state and county laws....

The plants are looking really good... still haven't come up with a scheme for dealing with their hugeness. The cannasearch profile of chem#4 says that it'll only be 7ft tall max but, I think they're going to be a lot bigger. They're really stretching out since they went into the 300's.

@Goldcountryguy thanks, I'm subscribed to yours too :) Those pics of the light dep are a little old, about ten days before harvest...we took it down and are busily manicuring it right now. I had Blue suger, Chem#4, BB OG, Green Ribbon, Green Crack, Blue Dream, and a couple S.A.G.E..

@Smoke Buddy Thanks, bud!

more pics in a couple days when they grow more :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
sick dep flowers

any questions just ask

for tall plants concrete mesh wire works well to make cages out of to support your structure.

cmon over to the big plants thread, its in tom hills forum in the seed breeders section of icmag.

thanks for sharing

furrywall11

Hey waddup ya'll

Vermifire, argh. This is the first year I've used it and the webpage read do not fertilize for two weeks, so I went with it, and my girls are slightly N deprived, and who knows what else. Perhaps the do not fertilize warning only pertains to smallish indoor plants. Live and learn.

Haven't had to water in five days because of the rain. Lookin' to do a feeding tomorrow but I might be trying to rush it just to take care of the N problem because the soil is still pretty moist....but..It's going to be over 100 degrees for the next five days so I'm leaning towards feeding tomorrow. Or maybe I'll do a SN14 foliar and save the feeding for the day after. We'll see.

Plans for the immediate future; implementing foliars; Calcium25 and Ocean Grown and also cage building. I've decided on 7 foot concrete mesh wrapped around the outside of the smart pots and cap of trellis netting on the very top.

The plants are looking pretty good.....A lot of growth since I transplanted on 6/15. Feeling excited about getting them more dialed in:)

Blueberry OG (This is one of my favorite strains.... I'm not going to lie.. it's the bag appeal. It just _looks_ better than almost anything...the fact that I've always been partial to Blueberry strains doesn't hurt...also... A real Outdoor Trooper...Once she gets going you can't stop her in veg)
IMG_1628.jpg

CheDawg #4 (I guess this might be the SFV cross? I was told that this clone came directly from Swerve) Anyways, it's vegging out nice...and I had some from the light dep and it's really stoney.
bcn topped 1

Aisle pic.. you can see some Blue Sugars in there
IMG_1631.jpg

'till next time..Happy growing! :)

furrywall11

Thanks, Biosynthesis. :)

They're all doing very well in this hot weather. I ended up doing a Calcium25 foliar and then, a SN14 foliar with a light General Organics feeding. They seemed to have liked it as they've grown 2 - 3 solid inches over the past 48 hours. Three days of 106 degree temps coming up. Someone said to me the other day only bulldogs and englishmen would be caught outside in this weather... Don't know what that means but, I'm doing my best to work inside for most of this coming week :D

mapinguari

Veteran
Someone said to me the other day only bulldogs and englishmen would be caught outside in this weather... Don't know what that means but, I'm doing my best to work inside for most of this coming week

It's from a Noel Coward song:

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one,
But Englishmen detest a siesta,
In the Philippines there are lovely screens,
to protect you from the glare,
In the Malay states there are hats like plates,
which the Britishers won't wear,
At twelve noon the natives swoon, and
no further work is done -
But Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

jtk707

Nice setup . I would recommend using general organics at half the recommended dosage . Cant wait to see these things take shape

furrywall11

Nice reveal, Mapinguari. Thanks, jtk707. I learned last year to definitely tread lightly with the GO, especially if I already have nutes in the soil. Heavy feedings can and will burn and lock my plants. I'm impressed with this GO/ACT combo, the buds were outstanding last year...I think the yield could have been a little higher but the quality was really there.

Someone just recommended dicalcium phosphate... says it can't be beat for rocking up flowers.....and it's inexpensive.. can't find a whole lot of info though

furrywall11

Everything's looking good.. These girls are really taking off. did a tea two days ago... 25-30 gallon per pot watering today... Learning more about watering. listening to the Joe Rogan podcasts while I'm watering lately, pretty entertaining most of the time. totally open to recommendations on podcasts if anyone has any to offer. i'm also listening to steinbecks grapes of wrath. I'm a bit sun burned from the last two days over heavy lifting.. just taking it easy. another update in a week :)

Blueberry OG
IMG_0006.jpg

Chemdawg #4 in a 300 gallon pot. This girl is going to be big come September
IMG_0010.jpg

Aisle shot
IMG_0008.jpg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you just pre amend the soil and simply water you will not get the yields of feeding nutes? Or you cannot cause you veg and flower in the same pot?

OLDproLg

Veteran
Another cool cali grow....

YOu folks get to grow the numbers they let,but boy
DO YOU ALL GET'em BIG hahahaha,great work killin it!
im a watchin......for the finish......
Lg

furrywall11

@Stoner Bob All of them excepting the Blueberry OG were topped a couple months back. One buddy of mine *strongly* suggests "topping" some side branches to create more bud sites. It might work out well with the Great Stretch almost upon us, I may try it on one.

@yesum The soil I use has veg nutes in it and I do a little extra too -- when flower comes along I'll add liquid flower nutes *trying out some new llama poo "bud rusher" --- anyone ever?

I'm trying to start pruning the undergrowth now... and maybe cleaning things up about 12-18" from the main stalk. Anyone have any pruning primers or tips? thx

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
listening to the Joe Rogan podcasts while I'm watering lately, pretty entertaining most of the time. totally open to recommendations on podcasts if anyone has any to offer.

http://www.matrixmasters.net/salon/
http://duncantrussell.com/
I listened to a couple podcasts from Rob Wolf, the Paleolithic diet guy, they were alright.
Aubrey Marcus, the onnit guy, has his own podcast too and its okay.
The series out of your mind by Alan Watts is good.
:whee:

furrywall11

Thanks, Boobs. Alan Watts, good call.

I've actually tried the paleolithic diet.. Wasn't for me. I'm A- blood type and, in my experience my body just tends to feel better on a mostly vegetarian diet with lotsa greens and grains. Eating tons of bacon was pretty fun, though. Rogan describes himself as the bridge between pothead and meathead. I like him but, not as much when he veers towards meathead and becomes repetitive.

I've been browsing this site lately: alterati.com -- Some good stuff!

peace!