What's new

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Thegreengrower64

Ahh, the contentious issue of flushing.
Organically grown cannabis; well, you don't flush that. So why would you in any other medium.
And please don't say, its the accumulation of heavy metals, as Organically grown is very heavy in the metal dept.
And why is cannabis the ONLY plant on the planet that is said to need flushing. Its bro science as they say. And again, why deprive your plants of nutrition in the final weeks ?
You could just taper off on the amount of nutrients given.
There are now studies that have confirmed that flushing is not necessary.
( just to say , been growing for many decades now, haven't flushed for god knows how long. My flowers look, smell, and above all, taste amazing. Never a complaint. )

CharlesU Farley

Ive been growing for 35 years,grown over 1000 lbs probably....in my opinion flushing positively influences the final product,predominately the burn.i dont believe its neccessary in organics though....
But hey,what do i know?!lol
Well I've been growing 56 or 57 (somewhere around there) years and that hasn't been my experience. And I would say the exact same thing you do, what do I know? I've got opinions, just like everybody else has assholes. :)

But one thing I do have is a little basic knowledge in botany and I'll take that over anyone's opinion or anecdotal evidence, every single time.

yahooman

Oh,and my sister has her masters in plant biosystems and has worked in the field for over 14 years.she has taught me a lot.you wouldnt want to argue with her.
You could also message any serious breeder like csi humboldt bohdi,karma etc and they all flush in the last weeks,you gonna say they are wrong too???

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
are outdoor plants flushed?….no

IMG_8620.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

Nannymouse

Hi all, since i'm in a cranky mood, i may as well join in. Just wanted to say that outdoor plants in general, die out or go dormant in the fall. Why? Well, here it is that they are going by their genetics, after most of the annuals have done their flower and seed thing, they just start fading away. The perennials, on the other hand, can go much longer...they are affected by lack of water, both in the soil and in the air, plus, they are subject to frosts and freezes. Remember that the cold rootzone makes for fewer of the nutes being absorbed by the plant. It also triggers saps to run downward, out of the leaf zone and into the root zone...the leaves lose their green pigment.

Some apple trees are ripe in August, other's are not ripe until winter. Are the apples in august always less sweet/flavorful than the ones in Winter? Not necessarily. Of course, we are not burning the apples...but these are all things that i consider.

I really would like to see some actual science on how cannabis reacts in both situations, side-by-side. Hasn't someone done a truly scientific study on this, by now? Peer reviewed, etc? Lots of stoner science in the world of weed.

Really, i'm okay with whatever works for you and your environment. Also, smoke vs vape, because i've found that i like UNCURED bud for vaping, as fresh as can be after a little dry out.

One of my questions is whether or not cannabis is really an annual, certainly the autos behave as such. But, i would argue that in the right zones, with the right plants, SOME cannabis could be considered a tender perennial. People's results could be different with different 'strains'.

Too many variables, not enough science, for me to consider it a subject worth getting the dander up enough to argue the matter.

yahooman

Oh,and my sister has her masters in plant biosystems and has worked in the field for over 14 years.she has taught me a lot.you wouldnt want to argue with her.
You could also message any serious breeder like csi humboldt bohdi,karma etc and they all flush in the last weeks,you gonna say they are

yahooman

Everybody does have an opininion for sure.like i stated before,in my experience flushing helps the final product.i dont know what else to say.ill take my experience and the practices of world class breeders over strangers word on a thread.but then again you probably feel the same way about me...all good,i get it
All i ask you is why do the best breeders in the world do it if it doesnt make a difference?

xtsho

You could also message any serious breeder like csi humboldt bohdi,karma etc and they all flush in the last weeks,you gonna say they are wrong too???

Well my niece has a PhD in soil microbiology, did plant studies at the Morrow Plots University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Has done research at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, has several peer reviewed studies published that can be found on Frontiers and other scientific websites, travels the world attending and speaking at conferences attended by some of the smartest people on the planet. I've spoken with her on a variety of plant related topics and she laughed when I told her how people were flushing cannabis plants to get the nutrients out of the buds.

And I could care less what some so called breeder selling seeds does or says. The majority of those guys don't have any actual educational background in Plant Science. In reality they're not even real breeders. They're just people like you and I chucking pollen. I've made strains as good as anything these name brand seed companies are selling. It's not rocket science crossing different cannabis strains. So yes they are wrong about flushing.

So go ahead and flush all you want. The only benefit it does exists solely in your mind. Some of us believe in science while others do not. There is so much nonsense in the cannabis growing world that it's spawned a multi-billion dollar industry selling bottles of water mixed with inexpensive salts, given cartoon names and then sold to naive cannabis growers at a 1000X markup. They even sell bottles of sugar water just for those that bother with the unnecessary flushing. Oh, those go for around $25 a quart for water and 0.25¢ worth of sugar.

Nannymouse

I will need to check that out, because i have questions about some stuff!

For one, it would be interesting to note how the subjective testers felt about the results of all that.

Nannymouse

Well my niece has a PhD in soil microbiology, did plant studies at the Morrow Plots University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Has done research at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, has several peer reviewed studies published that can be found on Frontiers and other scientific websites, travels the world attending and speaking at conferences attended by some of the smartest people on the planet. I've spoken with her on a variety of plant related topics and she laughed when I told her how people were flushing cannabis plants to get the nutrients out of the buds.

And I could care less what some so called breeder selling seeds does or says. The majority of those guys don't have any actual educational background in Plant Science. In reality they're not even real breeders. They're just people like you and I chucking pollen. I've made strains as good as anything these name brand seed companies are selling. It's not rocket science crossing different cannabis strains. So yes they are wrong about flushing.

So go ahead and flush all you want. The only benefit it does exists solely in your mind. Some of us believe in science while others do not. There is so much nonsense in the cannabis growing world that it's spawned a multi-billion dollar industry selling bottles of water mixed with inexpensive salts, given cartoon names and then sold to naive cannabis growers at a 1000X markup. They even sell bottles of sugar water just for those that bother with the unnecessary flushing. Oh, those go for around $25 a quart for water and 0.25¢ worth of sugar.
Oh gosh, remember back when you had to dry plants hanging upside down, so that the thc would run into the buds?
Lots of old stuff that we used to believe, for sure. It's like the sisters that grew up, always cut the end of the ham off(their mom only did it so that it fit the pan), just cuz mom did it that way, even though the girls' pans were big enough (nobody told the girls why mom did that).
Reminds me of the process of cracking an egg...it's one of those things that were passed from mom to daughter, for many generations. Different families have different methods of cracking that egg, (and some know the reasons why), and their are legit reasons why they do it their way. (Now, the guys might be doing half the cooking, and learning it from their parents(or technology,) Hubby cracks the egg on the side of the pan, i can't get him to stop, even though the clean up gal hates the egg burnt on the side of the pan, and on the stovetop, where it smokes up a stank. It still gets the eggs done, i eat them, they're great! I was taught to crack the egg on a papertowel, on the countertop, into an all transparent glass(edit, not the papertowel!), check for eggshells and bloodspots, top and bottom, and to smell the egg, before it going into the pan. Probably as much work, in all, as hubby's method. I'd say that his eggs taste better, but that's a longer story.

Kimes

I feed Calhex, I don't spend energy converting Nitrate to nitrite, nitrite to ammonia, ammonia to urea, urea to aminos, aminos to peptides, peptides to proteins, proteins to fatty acids. I don't feed any bug dumber than a grasshopper, scientifically speaking.
@ThievingDrugCriminal Care to share more about "calhex"? never heard of it.. cheers,

K

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

As soon as salts are absorbed they're broken down into ions.

1. Weed doesn't have a drain and if it did 2. you can't flush ions.

If your pot is harsh it may be the mix of terpenes/cannabanoids and such or you abused it all along by pushing it with too much rocket fuels such that the tender, healthy green foliage has been burned due to stress, tending to go dry, necrotic brown. Accordingly, this organic matter will tend to burn rough.

I'm 74, been growing pot and everything else under the sun since the 60's, but what do I know. :LOL:

Old Uncle Ben

Ahh, the contentious issue of flushing.
Organically grown cannabis; well, you don't flush that. So why would you in any other medium.
And please don't say, its the accumulation of heavy metals, as Organically grown is very heavy in the metal dept.
And why is cannabis the ONLY plant on the planet that is said to need flushing. Its bro science as they say. And again, why deprive your plants of nutrition in the final weeks ?
You could just taper off on the amount of nutrients given.
There are now studies that have confirmed that flushing is not necessary.
( just to say , been growing for many decades now, haven't flushed for god knows how long. My flowers look, smell, and above all, taste amazing. Never a complaint. )

Beats the hell out of me. Logic of the "pros" around these parts is by depriving the unit of production for bud (leaves) of nutrition you're somehow doing them some good. I mean, if someone says it on the internet and someone repeats it, it must be correct?

Makes sense to me. :)

Dr. Dank

Kimes

@Old Uncle Ben Small question about diy copper root pruning;

couldn't find the copper hydroxide powder in local gardening store but saw pure copper tape with adhesive on one side, against snails if I remember correctly..

like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Would those help with root pruning as it is copper, or does it have to be the powder form?, thanks

geep growing !

Last edited:

greenleader

@Old Uncle Ben You inspired me to try out Osmocote. Here in a local store in I found a 19-10-9 (6 months) by Scotts, mixed it up in Peat Moss and Dynomyco on a Royal Jack Auto by Royal Queen Seeds.
After flowering some Calcium deficiencies showed up and now in the advanced flowering stage some leafs are turning yellow.
So from this experience I can conclude that Osmocote does deplete fast at higher temperatures (82+) and needs to be re-amended. Also it contains no Calcium and that element needs to be amended.

I was wondering if mixing in Azomite could fix my Calcium needs? Right now I'm amending with Biobizz CalMag.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 9.25.30.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 9.25.30.png
    4 MB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Latest posts