What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Sasult

Tribalism makes you blind to the faults of your side. All politicians are two faced, it's part of the job. Greed is human nature, and the corruption is our fault for allowing it. Keep fracking away from the water, considering one is vital for life that is an easy choice. Ethanol is silly, biodiesel is better but still soso.
My outdoor stuff is organic, because I can make enough compost to do it for free. The organic industry is hypocritical for example kelp. It has a way more important job to do than grow my weed. Then to ship it when I can grow nettle or comfrey on site.
Sorry about the rant but seasonal depression is wearing off, and I must say osmocote helped in that department all my plants look great despite a bit of neglect.

RottyRzr

I don't care what anyone says about them. I love Amazon. Order at 5:00pm and get it delivered at 8:30pm.

I'll give my review after this years outdoor gardening season. Looking at the feeding rate it doesn't look like it takes much so a little goes a long ways it appears.

View attachment 18984667
View attachment 18984668
I don't see calcium listed. I wonder if it's in the Nitrate Nitrogen i.e. Calcium Nitrate?
Edited to add pic:
1713047403902.png

Tomatoesonly

I don't see calcium listed. I wonder if it's in the Nitrate Nitrogen i.e. Calcium Nitrate?
Edited to add pic:

They assume people are using some sort of tap water, and that almost always has calcium in it, as well as the soil they believe you are using. If that's not listed.. it's not in there. Alot of nutrients don't' have calcium.

Brother Nature

Of course it's not "green". It takes diesel to make corn and process corn for ethyl production.

Some of my friends refuse to use gasoline that contains alcohol for their small engines - lawnmowers, trimmers and such. Apparently it's not good for gaskets and other engine parts.
I bought an old 'dead' Harley off a guy who bought it as a show piece, then only ran ethanol fuel (avgas) through it cause 'he liked the smell'. Destroyed his carb, thought the bike was dead and sold it to me for pennies, I replaced the carb, pistons, bored the cylinder out a smidge and traded her for a relatively new car. I do run ethanol fuels in my Aprilia though, they're strangely cheaper in this part of the world and with a modern fuel injected engine, it makes enough of a difference to notice. Diesel is also super cheap here cause we're a mostly agricultural country, a gallon of petrol will cost roughly $10 and a gallon of Diesel is more like $5. Best car I ever had was a diesel too, 1992 Merc 190D, the girl had 782,000km's on her when I sold her off to a collector, aside from replacing suspnsion parts over the years that thing drove better than most new cars.

Anyways, I'm still rocking my osmocote mix and loving it, used recycled indoor osmocote mix soil in my outdoor plots this year too and am almost annoyed with how much I have harvested cause I have no one to help me trim it all...

CharlesU Farley

I'm in the tree business and run all my two cycles on supper because I can't get gas without ethanol except that crazy expensive caned shit. You are good with super for mix but low octane with ethanol will ruin them. Yeah pretty much everything needs diesel. Trucks trains ships tractors
I'm real lucky. In my part of the SouthEast, we can get ethanol-free gas but it's only about 30 to 40 cents more expensive. Couldn't imagine having to buy that shit containerized at a store, especially if you're doing a tree business. An oldies who is even older than I told me a long time ago not to run any two cycle equipment that had anything whatsoever to do with gasahol, as it was known that at that time.

Reading your post, makes me feel _guilty_ about going up to the attendant at the gas station and raising hell because I pulled up to the wrong gas pump to pump unleaded into my 4WD and paid 30 _whole_ cents more. 😂

My guess is in Texas it's pretty damned easy to get alcohol-free gasoline. Just depends on the luck of the location where you live for a lot of commodities.(y)

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

Ahh, the contentious issue of flushing.
Organically grown cannabis; well, you don't flush that. So why would you in any other medium.
And please don't say, its the accumulation of heavy metals, as Organically grown is very heavy in the metal dept.
And why is cannabis the ONLY plant on the planet that is said to need flushing. Its bro science as they say. And again, why deprive your plants of nutrition in the final weeks ?
You could just taper off on the amount of nutrients given.
There are now studies that have confirmed that flushing is not necessary.
( just to say , been growing for many decades now, haven't flushed for god knows how long. My flowers look, smell, and above all, taste amazing. Never a complaint. )
It’s really evident in recirculating systems. At the end, they stop eating anyway. The Rez will go down 50% and almost double ec as the plants are done eating.

Cactus Squatter

I'm in the tree business and run all my two cycles on supper because I can't get gas without ethanol except that crazy expensive caned shit. You are good with super for mix but low octane with ethanol will ruin them. Yeah pretty much everything needs diesel. Trucks trains ships tractors
Same here, we either have to buy high octane race fuel to get ethanol free, or pay that $37 a gallon shit for the premixed cans. It’s insane.

Cactus Squatter

That sounds like cool work. Year's ago I work doing cleaning at a sand pit and then later helped with the mine reclamation I've always been intrigued with the progression back to forest from nothing
It’s an amazing field for sure, we do a lot of burn scar work as well as work with the mines after they clean up their tailing piles at the old sites.

Hiddenjems

Same here, we either have to buy high octane race fuel to get ethanol free, or pay that $37 a gallon shit for the premixed cans. It’s insane.
We run the street cars on ethanol and the track cars on methanol. The power increase over pump gas, and gasoline based race fuels is huge in boosted applications.

Alcohol is hygroscopic. Exposure to air leads to it picking up moisture content. This combined with the extremely small jets in small engines plugging up with the slightest corrosion is why e10 or e15 ruins small engines.

Even here in corn country we have regular pumps that are ethanol free. I’d try looking around your area for a gas station with real gasoline.

Cactus Squatter

We run the street cars on ethanol and the track cars on methanol. The power increase over pump gas, and gasoline based race fuels is huge in boosted applications.

Alcohol is hygroscopic. Exposure to air leads to it picking up moisture content. This combined with the extremely small jets in small engines plugging up with the slightest corrosion is why e10 or e15 ruins small engines.

Even here in corn country we have regular pumps that are ethanol free. I’d try looking around your area for a gas station with real gasoline.
There are very few that are ethanol free, and there are none within a quick drive of me except for the really high octane stuff at the race pumps. Except at the lake. I can get ethanol free at the lake but I think they’re currently around $9 a gallon there.
We do have tons of farm diesel around my place though.

Nannymouse

I did try the osmocote, and may go back. But i did have a hard time understanding when to add more. I hated being behind the curve, maybe it's something that a person gets a feel for, over time. My eyes are pretty bad these days, and don't see the subtle 'first signs'. I went to just pHing, adding just a teaspoon of mega crop to every five gallon pail, and water with that every time. Like i say, i could go back to the osmocote, it is easy peasy. The only plant that i grow that hates EITHER is the peace lily, and she hates anything added, even tap water. She seems to run off RO water and air.