What's new

Original Chocolate Diesel + 3 More Diesels!

als_weed

Original Chocolate Diesel + 3 More Diesels!

SDX001.jpg

Chocolate Diesel(CTSD). Chemdog Sour Diesel(CMDD), Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze(SSDH), and Alderpoint Sour Diesel(APSD) should provide a nice retrospective of Sour Diesel. From the legendary and the infamous, to the current day, these crosses span the breadth of diesel.

If you're tired of cookies and cake, this hunt is for you!

I'm going to list some information about each cross and the history of the parentage. If this makes your eyes glaze over, feel free to fast forward to the action.

Meanwhile us weed nerds are in for a real treat!

als_weed

Chocolate Diesel (CTSD) - Maphial

Chocolate Trip x Sour Diesel

SDX002.jpg

I decided to reach up to my top shelf unobtainium collection and pluck something interesting to share.

These seeds were on top.

When I got these, they were $100, and 1 of 25 packs. At the time, I didn't have space and only lightly sampled acquisitions. So I popped one seed, got a fine lady that ran for eight years. She got lost in a move and I never had the opportunity to circle back.

So this strain came about because Katsu(still a member here) bought seeds of Chocolate Trip from the legendary Dutch Flowers and grew them out.

Dutch Flowers would put out single packs of crazy genes with awesome descriptions, that would draw equally crazy prices.

Chocolate Trip is probably the most well known. This is their original description:

CHOCOLATE TRIP - bred by Dutch Flowers
Chocolate Trip will please indoor growers looking for exotic sativa quality in a highly manageable hybrid exhibiting the curiously strong chocolaty sweetness and brain-wiring psychoactivity of fabled Chocolate Thai pure landrace. Chocolate Trip’s stocky, tight-noded phenotype thrives under indoor lighting, and will reward with an abundant yield of dense buds of top notch headstash quality.

We obtained Chocolate Thai from growers in Hawaii (who also sourced our Lemon Thai, already offered here). The Chocolate Thai had a classically thunderous, soaring high that immediately won everyone’s preference. Unfortunately, the superb quality came with a 14 week flowering period price tag. The buds were incredibly aromatic and resin coated, but very spindly, with strings venturing on their own out of the thin main floral cluster, giving it an overall skimpy braided look. Curious structure, definitely landrace looking, but hardly productive even outdoors. Our Chocolate Thai source had warned that to obtain a reasonable yield outdoors, his method was to crowd many plants in a limited space outdoors, in a style reminiscent of hemp grown for fiber.

While the Lemon Thai only needed heavy parent selection, the Chocolate Thai demanded a lot of work to make it worth growing for the indoor grower. We used an Indigo Diamond female crossed to a male Chocolate Thai and selected the best female out of over a hundred seedlings. This female was then pollinized with a pollen pool composed of the three best males of a twin cross where the roles were reversed, i.e. a Chocolate Thai mother crossed with an Indigo Diamond male.

The resulting Chocolate Trip passes with flying colours the flowering time and yield breeding goals: it takes around 50 days or less to flower, and is an extremely generous producer of hefty, thick buds that carry the trademark spicy sweetness of the Chocolate Thai. As a result of heavy selection, the Chocolate Trip exhibits an amazingly short and bushy phenotype: will finish under a meter (40 inches) tall if flowering is induced at 16 inches. This plant will yield an average of 4.5 ounces of exceptionally aromatic buds that retain the vanilla candy taste and trippy psychoactivity of the Chocolate Thai.

The Chocolate Thai has passed all its extreme sweetness and spicy exotic taste on to our Chocolate Trip. The taste is exceedingly sweet, and flavor is highly appealing with a very strong vanilla note over a peanut butter background. It is this extreme vanilla sweetness over a peanutty base that brings the smell so close to chocolate, although we are sure that the uncanny chocolate smell in some imported Thai is the result of a peculiar curing procedure that may include substances unrelated to cannabis.

Chocolate Trip’s Indica base hits very hard, but still gives an extremely energetic, lucid, visual high. It has both a lot of “bass” and “treble”, yet the overall tune is definitely speedy, like a dance track. The Chocolate Trip prowess is to satisfy the Indica and Sativa lovers equally, even when it is clearly sativa dominant in both high and taste. This allows for a powerhouse high, but there is no “dumb” or “lock” effect: remarkably cerebral and active, with a knack for inducing visuals (as some smokers report colours).Stocky, tight noded phenotype, great yield, quick flowerer, Chocolate Thai high and taste with a hard punching Indica base make the Chocolate Trip an excellent all-around strain for growers looking for landrace qualities in an easy to manage plant.

I just love it. In any event, Maphial crossed Katsu's cut with Sour Diesel and this legendary strain was born.

Many strains have it as their secret ingredient in special crosses. GG4 is a daughter, as well as several other branches of the weed ancestry tree.

These seeds are getting a light peroxide pre-soak, with a slight emery board scratch. At around 20 years old, these are the oldest seeds in this run. My experience is that viability really falls off at this age, so if we want to look, now is the time!

als_weed

Chemdog Sour Diesel (CMDD) - Reservoir Seeds

Chemdog x Sour Diesel

Resdog was a hell of a character, no matter what you think of him. He brought Sour Diesel and Chemdog to the masses and this is his cross of the two.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (SSDH) - Connoisseur Preservation

SSSDH x SSSDH

SDX003.jpg

These seeds are Connoisseur's preservation project of the original by Reservoir Seeds. I was in the middle of doing an extensive look with all of my original SSSDH seeds, when disaster struck, and I never got a chance to finish the study.

Another Res project that I think he was most proud of. The guys at Connoisseur thought well enough of it to preserve the genes and pass them out.

als_weed

Alderpoint Sour Diesel(APSD) Aficionado

Leggett Sour Diesel x (Sour Diesel IBL #72 x Original Diesel BX)

These folks have been winning awards with their outdoor strains. I have to be cautious with large plants, but the chance to look at these is worth the extra effort they will require.

Here is their description of this strain:

LONG AWAITED RELEASE!

Leggett Sour Diesel "clone-only" x (Sour Diesel IBL #72 x Original Diesel BX)

The leggett sour has by far been my favorite cutting of the Sour Diesel. As a farmer who specialized for years in selecting and cultivating sours for buyers the alderpoint sour can best be described as a "frostier sour" with a nose that's reminiscent of old-school Headband (Sour x OG Kush) but with alot more bass on the gas. The resin grows TALL and falls off the stalk easily, so handle with care after drying and curing. CURING NOTE: It is in my experience that classic sours and headband's tend to not fully develop their nose and bouquet until after several weeks of curing. 3-4 weeks of cold curing has produced the best possible sours and was the current technique I used when I Won at The Golden Tarps awards for best in category for our Spyrock Sour. Cold Cure sours at 50 Degrees F and 50% humidity in darkness.

These plants grow LARGE - select for dark leathery green leafs with a sheen that is often indiciative of sour diesel of OG foliage.

This creation was bred in the Alderpoint Area of the Souther Humboldt mountains and is aclimated to similar arid-temperate climates.

This is a TRUE 9-10 WEEK SOUR!! Outdoor growers beware! As a winner of multiple full-sun Emerald Cup awards....I highly highly recommend a greenhouse or a cold frame cover as a minimum to get the best-possible expression from later blooming sours. Does epic indoors and in summer deps.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
Have good lucky foe finding the right interessing Phenos or Keepers for you .

SSSDH & Chemdog Sour Diesel both are good strains

SSSDH OjD cut is nice and old cupwinner from some years ago

TTF_Farms

Chocolate Diesel (CTSD) - Maphial

Chocolate Trip x Sour Diesel

View attachment 18767189

I decided to reach up to my top shelf unobtainium collection and pluck something interesting to share.

These seeds were on top.

When I got these, they were $100, and 1 of 25 packs. At the time, I didn't have space and only lightly sampled acquisitions. So I popped one seed, got a fine lady that ran for eight years. She got lost in a move and I never had the opportunity to circle back.

So this strain came about because Katsu(still a member here) bought seeds of Chocolate Trip from the legendary Dutch Flowers and grew them out.

Dutch Flowers would put out single packs of crazy genes with awesome descriptions, that would draw equally crazy prices.

Chocolate Trip is probably the most well known. This is their original description:

CHOCOLATE TRIP - bred by Dutch Flowers
Chocolate Trip will please indoor growers looking for exotic sativa quality in a highly manageable hybrid exhibiting the curiously strong chocolaty sweetness and brain-wiring psychoactivity of fabled Chocolate Thai pure landrace. Chocolate Trip’s stocky, tight-noded phenotype thrives under indoor lighting, and will reward with an abundant yield of dense buds of top notch headstash quality.

We obtained Chocolate Thai from growers in Hawaii (who also sourced our Lemon Thai, already offered here). The Chocolate Thai had a classically thunderous, soaring high that immediately won everyone’s preference. Unfortunately, the superb quality came with a 14 week flowering period price tag. The buds were incredibly aromatic and resin coated, but very spindly, with strings venturing on their own out of the thin main floral cluster, giving it an overall skimpy braided look. Curious structure, definitely landrace looking, but hardly productive even outdoors. Our Chocolate Thai source had warned that to obtain a reasonable yield outdoors, his method was to crowd many plants in a limited space outdoors, in a style reminiscent of hemp grown for fiber.

While the Lemon Thai only needed heavy parent selection, the Chocolate Thai demanded a lot of work to make it worth growing for the indoor grower. We used an Indigo Diamond female crossed to a male Chocolate Thai and selected the best female out of over a hundred seedlings. This female was then pollinized with a pollen pool composed of the three best males of a twin cross where the roles were reversed, i.e. a Chocolate Thai mother crossed with an Indigo Diamond male.

The resulting Chocolate Trip passes with flying colours the flowering time and yield breeding goals: it takes around 50 days or less to flower, and is an extremely generous producer of hefty, thick buds that carry the trademark spicy sweetness of the Chocolate Thai. As a result of heavy selection, the Chocolate Trip exhibits an amazingly short and bushy phenotype: will finish under a meter (40 inches) tall if flowering is induced at 16 inches. This plant will yield an average of 4.5 ounces of exceptionally aromatic buds that retain the vanilla candy taste and trippy psychoactivity of the Chocolate Thai.

The Chocolate Thai has passed all its extreme sweetness and spicy exotic taste on to our Chocolate Trip. The taste is exceedingly sweet, and flavor is highly appealing with a very strong vanilla note over a peanut butter background. It is this extreme vanilla sweetness over a peanutty base that brings the smell so close to chocolate, although we are sure that the uncanny chocolate smell in some imported Thai is the result of a peculiar curing procedure that may include substances unrelated to cannabis.

Chocolate Trip’s Indica base hits very hard, but still gives an extremely energetic, lucid, visual high. It has both a lot of “bass” and “treble”, yet the overall tune is definitely speedy, like a dance track. The Chocolate Trip prowess is to satisfy the Indica and Sativa lovers equally, even when it is clearly sativa dominant in both high and taste. This allows for a powerhouse high, but there is no “dumb” or “lock” effect: remarkably cerebral and active, with a knack for inducing visuals (as some smokers report colours).Stocky, tight noded phenotype, great yield, quick flowerer, Chocolate Thai high and taste with a hard punching Indica base make the Chocolate Trip an excellent all-around strain for growers looking for landrace qualities in an easy to manage plant.

I just love it. In any event, Maphial crossed Katsu's cut with Sour Diesel and this legendary strain was born.

Many strains have it as their secret ingredient in special crosses. GG4 is a daughter, as well as several other branches of the weed ancestry tree.

These seeds are getting a light peroxide pre-soak, with a slight emery board scratch. At around 20 years old, these are the oldest seeds in this run. My experience is that viability really falls off at this age, so if we want to look, now is the time!
Wow!!!! How amazing!!! Love the work your doing! I'm running the chocolatina ATM so I can't wait to see genetics like this Chocolate trip just absolutely amazing!!

TTF_Farms

Chemdog Sour Diesel (CMDD) - Reservoir Seeds

Chemdog x Sour Diesel

Resdog was a hell of a character, no matter what you think of him. He brought Sour Diesel and Chemdog to the masses and this is his cross of the two.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (SSDH) - Connoisseur Preservation

SSSDH x SSSDH

View attachment 18767190

These seeds are Connoisseur's preservation project of the original by Reservoir Seeds. I was in the middle of doing an extensive look with all of my original SSSDH seeds, when disaster struck, and I never got a chance to finish the study.

Another Res project that I think he was most proud of. The guys at Connoisseur thought well enough of it to preserve the genes and pass them out.
So cool he preserved it so you can pop them!!

TTF_Farms

Alderpoint Sour Diesel(APSD) Aficionado

Leggett Sour Diesel x (Sour Diesel IBL #72 x Original Diesel BX)

These folks have been winning awards with their outdoor strains. I have to be cautious with large plants, but the chance to look at these is worth the extra effort they will require.

Here is their description of this strain:

LONG AWAITED RELEASE!

Leggett Sour Diesel "clone-only" x (Sour Diesel IBL #72 x Original Diesel BX)

The leggett sour has by far been my favorite cutting of the Sour Diesel. As a farmer who specialized for years in selecting and cultivating sours for buyers the alderpoint sour can best be described as a "frostier sour" with a nose that's reminiscent of old-school Headband (Sour x OG Kush) but with alot more bass on the gas. The resin grows TALL and falls off the stalk easily, so handle with care after drying and curing. CURING NOTE: It is in my experience that classic sours and headband's tend to not fully develop their nose and bouquet until after several weeks of curing. 3-4 weeks of cold curing has produced the best possible sours and was the current technique I used when I Won at The Golden Tarps awards for best in category for our Spyrock Sour. Cold Cure sours at 50 Degrees F and 50% humidity in darkness.

These plants grow LARGE - select for dark leathery green leafs with a sheen that is often indiciative of sour diesel of OG foliage.

This creation was bred in the Alderpoint Area of the Souther Humboldt mountains and is aclimated to similar arid-temperate climates.

This is a TRUE 9-10 WEEK SOUR!! Outdoor growers beware! As a winner of multiple full-sun Emerald Cup awards....I highly highly recommend a greenhouse or a cold frame cover as a minimum to get the best-possible expression from later blooming sours. Does epic indoors and in summer deps.
Planning on doing light dep next year! Super cool this strain is very responsive to that!!!

als_weed

48 hour Germination Update

First. thank you all for the kind words of encouragement! It's truly a pleasure to have you all along for the ride on this wild adventure!

CTSD: 6/9

SDX005.jpg

We got 6 with tails! With seeds this old, it can take up to another week to germinate. I added a couple drops of 3% peroxide, mumbled something, and gave the hand gesture of growth and hope. My experience is that late poppers are super weak and rarely recover without extreme intervention. We shall see.

CMDD: 6/10

SDX006.jpg

Doing the same as above.

SSDH: 6/7

SDX007.jpg

Same procedure

APSD: 11/11

SDX008.jpg

None to send back! As expected, the youngest seeds faired the best in germination.

Next we go to the dirt and see who makes it through the next hoop. I have opted to go with my standard soil mix to start these sprouts. I was considering petri dish starts, but these look pretty healthy, with no obvious fungal attacks.

As always, your questions and comments are welcome.

-al

exoticrobotic

Pretty quick and uniform germination results for 20 yr old seed.

Well done!!! I look forward to seeing the results.

With the SD seedlings do you see 1 or 2 male preflowers a couple of weeks before female flowers show?

:joint::good:

Last edited:

als_weed

Pretty quick and uniform germination results for 20 yr old seed.

Well done!!! I look forward to seeing the results.

With the SD seedlings do you see 1 or 2 male preflowers a couple of weeks before female flowers show?

:joint::good:
Pretty happy so far. After 48 hrs, the prospects for seeds really plummet. We have enough to get a glimpse, but would really like to see another pop. On to the dirt!

As far as SD preflowers, I don't know. It's been a long time since I've popped SD or crosses and I can't honestly remember directly observing that in those strains.

But this is the perfect experiment to find out! We will definitely be looking for that trait now.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Boys in general will be taller and tend to shoot their load as fast as possible, but there are always exceptions. I've been fooled by cryptic primordia and surprise bananas before.

Gotta watch them whipper snappers!

I'll do another round up soon.

Thank you for your interest.

-al

als_weed

I'll have a sprout round up soon, but while we wait, let's have some seed fun.

I had considered putting these in this experiment. But 2 packs of 20 year old seeds at once seemed like trouble.

SDX009.jpg

Jojo Rizzo was quite the prolific breeder. Probably most remembered for developing Crystal Locomotive. It's Arcadia Trainwreck x Aloha White Widow.

ATW was super potent pure Lysol on an 8 foot tall bean pole frame, quite famous for just falling over for the last few weeks of bloom. Some of the earliest serious pruning techniques were developed by Pistol Pete, getting this plant to produce buds, rather than frond like foxtails. Anyone remember the Pistol Whipped tech?

Most White Widow of the day tasted like burnt plastic. No body really cared much since this was one of the few power plants for indoors other than Northern Lights. AWW brought a fruity sweet flavor and a little color to the mix.

His crosses consumed the lion's share of my seed popping for quite a while as I pursued F1s, F2s, and Bxs trying to find the perfect balance of the parents.

For me, the difference between the parents created extreme variability. I found a lot of promising plants, but ended up running more of his other creations like Blowfish. He was also into preserving Hazes.

I don't have many packs of his left because I popped so many. I learned a lot about the mechanics of breeding from him, but more importantly, the mentality you have to maintain. You just have to be fearless. Make mistakes, learn, move on and give no fucks. Follow the vision of the cross and use data. Follow your nose, but don't let it fool you.

He is missed.

Here's what I have left of his work.

SDX010.jpg

Here's some of my unobtainium collection that I need to start popping. I plan on doing projects like this along with looking at the strains we create here.

SDX011.jpg

So what sounds good? Original Tom Hill Deep Chunk or Breeder Steve's favorite Shishkaberry#3?

The blurry one in the middle is Pacific Pow - the sister of sorts to Purple Butters and Airborne's G13.

Suggestions?

Thanks for letting me ramble down memory lane.

-al

Pineboy212

I’d go with the shiskaberry,I really miss blueberry,trying to get it back n my stable,I had a good one,shiskaberry x Dutch treat ,wish I still had her was the first plant I ever grew as well from cash crop ken
BC5F971C-4F72-47AC-8AF3-0A5537E38832.jpeg

Last edited:

TTF_Farms

I personally would LOVE to see the space rhino!!! I had an amazing white rhino pheno years ago and lost her:/ would love to see the rhino make a comeback and be a part of that!!!! Omg! How amazing!