What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

orient express

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@dubi , so the OE has been around for quite some time. You have tried many crosses with her, by this time, hopefully.

So, do you have advise/generalizations on types of crosses work best or work least?

Also, do you have specific crosses that you liked, that are not in the catalog?

At what height do you decide to put it into flower? Is this dependent on which side of the family that the particular plant resembles?

Any advice on scrogging these to nicely fill a 2 x 4 foot tent, @ 6 feet tall? Pot sizes, trimming and/or bondage?

I know, lots of questions. Maybe there is a grow journal that fits the questions.

Hi @Nannymouse

To be honest i have not produced an OE hybrid that i like more than straight Orient Express, i feel the OE hybrids (at least the ones i tried) easily lose the terps, effects and medicinal qualities i like so much of the strain.

I would recommend you to grow 2 Orient Express fem seeds in that small space. As stated in the Growing Tips of the strain description, OE is a very vigorous, branchy plant and reacts really well to topping, it's a perfect sativa/indica hybrid to build a lush greenery in SCROGs indoors that later produce very high yields when feeded properly strong. Since in that space you can grow very little plants, then better use the bigger pots that can fit in your space.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
really nice outcome from your outdoor harvest Luiggi :) buds were ripe enough for my taste at harvest time.
Yep, by the sound of your early smoke report and its anxiolytic and not so strong effects sounds like you indeed got a THC-CBD balanced pheno.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@sativaman514 @marijuaman An Orient Express - very China dominant hashplant indica pheno of creamy orangy terpenes was reversed and used as pollen donor to produce latest OE feminized version. While the mother is an OE tall sativa Vietnam Black sativa type of classic OE organic, floral, earthy terpenes. So in the fem version you can find both types of terpene profiles.

The current OE regular version only involves sativa parent plants (same sativa mother than in the fem version, and a sativa dom male) of organic earthy terpenes, so such fruity pheno of the fem version cannot be found in the regular.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Seems like the Black Viet pheno with narrow leaves can be quite fruity. I've been hoping for long for a sharp orange-tangerine smelling-tasting plant. Very pleased to read yours had the taste.
For me it was the other way

Correct @-OSAKA CASIO- the creamy fruity side in Orient Express comes the sweet and sour China Yunnan indica expressions. Vietnam Black mother is organic, earthy, meaty, floral, hashy ... but 0 fruity.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Your second Orient Express girl is looking great ! @StrongTree :love: It's obviously the short, compact, and bushy sativa pheno. How many weeks is she into flowering in the last update ?

Nizla

Hi Guys n Gals,

I'm here to show you my 2 Orient (feminized Orient Express, Ace Seeds) ladies and ask some questions :)
They are at the 54th day of flowering right now and leftie's stigmas are brown for some time already, while it's still pretty white on the right.
A.jpg B.jpg

Both of them look pretty nice and yummy.

C.jpg D.jpg

I think they will be ready soon, the trichomes on the buds are yet to turn brown.
But I guess in approximately a week, I will harvest.

One thing that's bothering me tho, is that I tried a bigger bud of the right plant last week (the whole branch snapped due to the weight) and today from the left plant.
I quick dried (which is bad in itself, I know) in the oven or used the fresh in my Vape.
There was almost no effect, I'd say max. a slight CBD buzz for some short time. (I'm a regular/daily, but not a heavy daily user - just need a small amount of some stronger stuff usually)

I bought this strain from Zamnedia, which just had information of the cannabinoid content like THC 16%, CBD 8%.
I was searching for a strain which should have a high CBD, but also high THC content, so I thought this is it.
Afterwards I read more into the strain and saw the differing canna contents.

After trying the fresh bud of both plants I ask myself, is it possible that both seeds have germinated into a plant that contains almost no THC??
I would be very disappointed, since I didn't want a just CBD plant at all (basically wasted money/time/security).

Well, maybe someone can give me some clearance here, I'm very frustrated right now :cry:

Nizla

I think you need to wait. Your plants look as if they have 2-3 weeks (if not more) of flowering left. Very possible you might have a couple of plants on the lower end of the THC scale.
2-3 weeks? :0
Why that?
The lower end of the THC scale would be a major bummer, I hope not. Also it's very frustrating that the information about this strain was so badly adopted by Zamnesia.
If a strain can produce such low THC contents, it should at least be much clearer for a customer.
Same for the Ace Seeds site, which promotes it with 16% THC, too.
Sucks for me now, since I didn't read every small (literally small, can't even zoom the pictures of the Ace Seeds lab reports on the phone) detail about this strain.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I may well be wrong in my estimate of time left. The flowers just look like they have a good amount of time to mature. I’ve only grown OE as part of a hybrid with CBD1. I’m sure others will be able to give you a much better assessment than me.

sativaman514

Nizla, your plants sure looks yummy, but yep, 2-3 weeks left to go to my own taste as well. Why ? So the plant can produce more resin and develop potency, deepness in the high.
I am not surprised if you smoked premature buds and feels like the potency isn't there. I've been having a G. of Zamaldelica myself for breakfast for the last year. Dependance develop over time, and it's easy to get used to a
higher % of THC.
Anyway, ACE have always been vey open and honest about their breeding. I have to say I don't feel like you about how they are branding the strain, since Orient Express have always been advertised with a large fork of THC potency. The outcome of a plant should be between 10 and 15%, with some extremes. Let's keep in mind 15% is far from the 25% THC you'll get from most modern crosses. Still, there are good reasons to have strains like Orient Express or Kali China in a complete personal pantry.

Last edited:

Nizla

Well I guess it won't hurt to let them mature more, no specific reason to harvest them next week for now.
After looking at the ACE Seeds site again, I gotta admit that I didn't read it correctly, since the info is correct in the Additional Information.
Still pissed that Zamnesia doesn't just adopt it like that then...

I stopped giving them fertilizer almost 2 weeks ago already, which would mean that they are running almost 4 weeks without new nutrients.
Since they both look still pretty green, I don't think it will affect them that much.
I also reduced the temperature during night and day to 18-22 °C a week or so ago (slightly open window near the box; outside temp is pretty low).
And last but not least I have a 11/13 light/dark cycle now, which will soon be reduced to 10,5/13,5 and then to 10/14.
Hoping to imitate the natural environment with these tweaks, while hopefully getting some nice sticky buds.

Nizla

A.jpg B.jpg

Both of them look pretty nice and yummy.

C.jpg D.jpg

So the harvest was done last Friday on day 85 after switching to 12/12.

The bigger plant on the right became a bit purple over the last weeks, and I also felt the buds expanded more on her.

After harvesting and having tried some small portions of both the plants over time.
I still didn't have any effect from smoking or vaping.
The THC content seems to be at zero.
My last hope now is that somehow after curing, there will be at least a small potency, to even call this real weed and not hemp.
For now I'm skeptical and very disappointed about how this grow turned out.
Out of all the grows I did until now, this is the one I dedicated the most time and thoughts to everything.

Also I don't understand how this is even possible, having 2 seeds that both produce plants with such a small amount of THC, when 7-16% are advertised for this strain.

Can anyone explain this to me?

goingrey

So the harvest was done last Friday on day 85 after switching to 12/12.

The bigger plant on the right became a bit purple over the last weeks, and I also felt the buds expanded more on her.

After harvesting and having tried some small portions of both the plants over time.
I still didn't have any effect from smoking or vaping.
The THC content seems to be at zero.
My last hope now is that somehow after curing, there will be at least a small potency, to even call this real weed and not hemp.
For now I'm skeptical and very disappointed about how this grow turned out.
Out of all the grows I did until now, this is the one I dedicated the most time and thoughts to everything.

Also I don't understand how this is even possible, having 2 seeds that both produce plants with such a small amount of THC, when 7-16% are advertised for this strain.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Curing won't make THC appear if there is none to begin with.

Nizla

Curing won't make THC appear if there is none to begin with.
Yes I know, but with my last grows I always had the feeling that the effect got enhanced greatly by curing.
So it's somewhat of my last hope for a change to the status quo.

I would be interested in some info from the breeders.
After all the info published online about this strain made me buy it.
I really don't understand how I could end up with TWO plants that seem to contain no THC...

Cactus Squatter

Yes I know, but with my last grows I always had the feeling that the effect got enhanced greatly by curing.
So it's somewhat of my last hope for a change to the status quo.

I would be interested in some info from the breeders.
After all the info published online about this strain made me buy it.
I really don't understand how I could end up with TWO plants that seem to contain no THC...
Curing will definitely help if there is enough thc to begin with, it’s just that you may have higher CBD producing plants this go around.
There is a high cbd leaning pheno in orient express, it’s possible both of your plants lean that way.
The last time I grew it I got 1 taller pheno that Dubi said looked like the mom plant. It was definitely a CBD leaner and doesn’t give you a high feeling. I turned that plant into tinctures for some elderly friends.

The other pheno I had was a shorter one, with a much stronger earthy funk smell to it. That one is very relaxing and stoney in a really nice and soft kind of way. I really liked this pheno and bought a pack of fems to run again soon.

Nizla

Curing will definitely help if there is enough thc to begin with, it’s just that you may have higher CBD producing plants this go around.
There is a high cbd leaning pheno in orient express, it’s possible both of your plants lean that way.
The last time I grew it I got 1 taller pheno that Dubi said looked like the mom plant. It was definitely a CBD leaner and doesn’t give you a high feeling. I turned that plant into tinctures for some elderly friends.

The other pheno I had was a shorter one, with a much stronger earthy funk smell to it. That one is very relaxing and stoney in a really nice and soft kind of way. I really liked this pheno and bought a pack of fems to run again soon.
Leaning to CBD is one thing, but it shouldn't mean I'm getting no effect at all.
I actually grew Dinafem Purple Orange CBD (THC/CBD 5/10) several years ago and I still had a nice effect from it!
I needed more to get the effect ofc, but with both the Orient Express ladies, I rolled pure joints, even added some of the hash I got from my harvesting scissors - - > no effect at all!
That is not CBD leaning, that is just completely non psychoactive.
Which was not specified at all anywhere in the product description...

Piff_cat

Leaning to CBD is one thing, but it shouldn't mean I'm getting no effect at all.
I actually grew Dinafem Purple Orange CBD (THC/CBD 5/10) several years ago and I still had a nice effect from it!
I needed more to get the effect ofc, but with both the Orient Express ladies, I rolled pure joints, even added some of the hash I got from my harvesting scissors - - > no effect at all!
That is not CBD leaning, that is just completely non psychoactive.
Which was not specified at all anywhere in the product description...
cbd is essentially a thc antidote. so if a line is already mid range thc, having 8 percent cbd could balance the effect out to zero. imo any cbd over 1 percent has no place in a drug line. its strictly for medical purposes. also quick drying is never going to impart a good effect. it severly reduces the amount of thca to thc conversion. decarb is not automatically 100 percent efficient with an inconsistent thermal temp. oe is high in sesquiterpenes which take longer to volatize then monoterpenes. this is why sativa in general need more time to cure before the true profile is reached.