What's new

orient express

That OE is insane brother! Hell of a nice grow. Cant weight to hear how you do at harvest.

How have you (or others) fared when growing this strain i doors?

The Fem seeds have done well. Surprising Sativa leanings, and it has handled heat and humidity like a champ. But its the last month of flowering that is the hardest, so hopefully I can avoid mold issues.

Dubi, I took this picture this afternoon. How many more weeks would you guess I would need to go? There are three plants here (tall in the back is more sativa leaning). The slightly shorter ones to the left and right appear to be more indica influenced, but the buds are already swelling. 2-3 more weeks maybe for the foreground ones, and 3-4 weeks for the one in the background? I don't know exactly when they started flowering since I was on vacation in mid-august,but I assumed it was roughly day 30 today, but given their development it might be more like day 40+.

Thanks

eY42Cax.jpg

This plant is so solid that I have been watching very closely for mold. Today I found two tiny spots and cut them out. There were a couple healthy sugar leaves that I put under the scope and found that the tric's were 25-30% amber so I whacked it down and put the stem in a bucket of water (shown) with an aquarium pump running to give it a couple days of super flush. It was grown in a 20 gal smart pot.
This was a "fem" seed and about as opposite of Hellgrammites plant as they come.

Thick as heck there Beaver.

Did you grow this outside or inside? What percentage of the pistols were dark? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a lot of white pistols in there. Just curious if this strain starts producing amber trics without a lot of darkened pistols.

Thick as heck there Beaver.

Did you grow this outside or inside? What percentage of the pistols were dark? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a lot of white pistols in there. Just curious if this strain starts producing amber trics without a lot of darkened pistols.

It was grown outside, and yes, there were still some white pistols present, however there was a lot of amber and the threat of bud rot pushed me to harvest sooner than I wanted to. Today I took it out of the aerated bucket of water and did a bud wash before hanging it up so it got a few extra days of growing. I had brought it inside after chopping it and had it in a small dark room with 40% humidity (compared to 80 outside) I'm thinking it will work out.

I have another 4 "standard" O.E. going and they all look sativa'ish and I'm happy for that.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Can you guyz tell me if it is possible during veg to identify males with sativa phenotype from the Orient Express ?

I would like to make some seeds from this phenotype, and it would be perfect if I could recognize and select him during veg.

Gracias muchas

Hi So Jung,

Yes, it is very easy to find sativa leaning phenotypes in regular Orient Express version and they are easy to identify during growing stage.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I see this thread is 10 years old and the Orient Express is still going down the line, the plants have many growers very happy, they look good quality, interesting and not too expensive either.

This one goes into my list of ones to try straight away, ACE seeds are company i did not know about but there is some valuable reading in these long threads.

Thank you to the breeders and the growers contributing.
If anyone has any more to say or show with this one i would be pleased to hear or see it.

Thank you hush i appreciate your answer and it confirms what i have seen here where you have the same people digging into many of the varieties offered.

ACE are the people giving the older smokers the chance at some familiar vintage but more scarce genepools. The names are simpler for the varieties which i think works for me as i can remember them better haha!

Hi dugzy,

Thanks for your kind words and support, much appreciated! :huggg:
I also feel blessed with the great community we have built in this room over the years, thanks to all the contributions from many many great growers and kind souls from all around the world.

Some threads about some of our older classic strains are too long, but all have huge amounts of interesting info about our lines, and they are a true reflection of the state of the lines and how they have evolved through the time ... i have worked very very hard (especially in the last 6 years) to keep our classic lines with the highest level of quality i could achieve, thanks to the collaboration of my colleagues at ACE too.
When i read some of the old threads i feel a bit nostalgic, i really miss the time when charlie and me used to collaborate closely ... time flies and life goes on!
So no time to be sad when present time and future is so beautiful and bright!:ying:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wow Hellgrammite00! Amazing Orient Express trees! :D
Really impressive :yes:

I would say they still need approx 3-4 weeks more since the last picture was taken, but since you are growing different plants with probably slightly different flowering development, kindly show us some closer pics of the buds and colas of each plant so i can give you a more accurate reply.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
This plant is so solid that I have been watching very closely for mold. Today I found two tiny spots and cut them out. There were a couple healthy sugar leaves that I put under the scope and found that the tric's were 25-30% amber so I whacked it down and put the stem in a bucket of water (shown) with an aquarium pump running to give it a couple days of super flush. It was grown in a 20 gal smart pot.
This was a "fem" seed and about as opposite of Hellgrammites plant as they come.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76669&pictureid=1885690&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76669&pictureid=1885691&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Congrats on your Orient Express harvest, BeaverIslander :)
She probably needed 2 weeks more of flowering as far as i can appreciate from here, but your are right, these lush hashplant phenos with such big dense floral structures are more sensible to botrytis. Nevertheless, it's amazing the amount of buds this pheno can produce in such small space. :D

Hope she had enough time to provide a finished product of your taste. :yes:

Wow Hellgrammite00! Amazing Orient Express trees!
Really impressive

I would say they still need approx 3-4 weeks more since the last picture was taken, but since you are growing different plants with probably slightly different flowering development, kindly show us some closer pics of the buds and colas of each plant so i can give you a more accurate reply.

Thanks Dubi. Here are some more pictures taken this morning.

We had a quick but fierce storm move through last night. Wind gusts near 40mph. The trees toppled, but fell against the greenhouse frame. The largest tree I roped back up towards the middle of trellis, but the top colas are still leaning. Ton of water in the ground, so they look a bit saturated. I think a couple of dry days should make them more perky again.

I numbered the plants below (1 being the most Indica in shape, and 3 being the Sativa in structure.) #1 and #2 look in person the most further along. The buds have not really swelled yet (looks heavy on pistills and leaves still). My guess is the 20th of October would be the earliest.

#3 has less trichomes, and although the pictures don't do it justice, they look at least a week behind the first two. But I haven't grown these genetics before so not sure.

TU9z7G5.jpg

Plant 1:

28lENh2.jpg

Plant 2:

XNoOSKN.jpg

Plant 3:
x4uHe94.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Hellgrammite00,

Thanks for sharing pics of each Orient. You are right, they still need to pack more weight and sweat more resins .... plant #2 looks like the more advanced one, i estimate they still need 3 weeks more since this last update, hopefully the weather brings sunny, warm and dry days in October.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your Orient Express in late flowering, El Supersativa :)

Looking great! That's the vietnamese sativa dominant pheno i like the most: high yielding, with high flower/leaf ratio, yet with a short height and flowering from the chinese.
Usually this pheno delivers a very pleasant, clean, uplifting and anxiolytic high quality sativa effect.

Update: Due to more wide-spread bud-rot, I had to harvest a bit early. I harvested most of one plant on the 5th, and the rest from the other plants on the 12th. I was pretty picky, and threw away any colas with any bud rot.

My question is on the smell. The batch on the 5th I let dry for about 5 days, and the buds and stems were getting fairly crunchy. I dry-trimmed and began a cure. The trim over time has a nice floral, earthy smell (very dried out). The buds however have a stronger Onion/Diesel smell, that is simply overpowering. The buds do not feel too wet/dry, so the cure will likely to go fine, but is this smell expected? Will it diminish during weeks of curing? The trim smells less harsh, and again more floral notes that is more palpable.

Here is the first batch, with probably another twenty-five 32oz jars to follow.

vqrwVkF.jpg

Last edited:

Ncali

Veteran
The Vietnam black has interesting earthy terpenes profile, that's normal. Congrats on a successful harvest, looked like monster plants!!

deepwaterdude

Update: Due to more wide-spread bud-rot, I had to harvest a bit early. I harvested most of one plant on the 5th, and the rest from the other plants on the 12th. I was pretty picky, and threw away any colas with any bud rot.

My question is on the smell. The batch on the 5th I let dry for about 5 days, and the buds and stems were getting fairly crunchy. I dry-trimmed and began a cure. The trim over time has a nice floral, earthy smell (very dried out). The buds however have a stronger Onion/Diesel smell, that is simply overpowering. The buds do not feel too wet/dry, so the cure will likely to go fine, but is this smell expected? Will it diminish during weeks of curing? The trim smells less harsh, and again more floral notes that is more palpable.

View Image

Very nice pics a couple of weeks ago and nice jarring haul;) That's absolutely massive! I had a Bangi Haze with garlicky terps, nothing close to the half ounce of pure onion weed I bought some years back. Terrible stuff, very dirty high, and just amazingly onion. Blech. :biggrin:

View Image

Thats an insane haul? How may pounds of cured per plant?

Thats an insane haul? How may pounds of cured per plant?

Lot of bud rot, and I got VERY picky since the plants were larger than expected. If a fat cola had any budrot, I threw it out. Didn't want to risk contamination, and I am not growing this for any type of selling.

I would say I got roughly a pound per plant (3 total) of excellent stuff. I think I could have gotten 5-6 pounds in perfect scenario (no bud rot, held until harvest)

Lugnu

That is a very informative treat, took me a long time to read all the posts, very nice.
I am a outdoor grower and bought a pack of Orient Express x Nepal Jam seeds for my next outdoor season.
Now when I read the lasts posts from you Hellgrammite00 I am very concerned about my project. I live here in Atlantic Canada with sometimes rainy and for sure humid weather. I have to pick strains with a good resistant to fungus and mold. How was the weather during your outdoor grow ?