What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organics for mites

mad librettist

Veteran
dear jesus!

that fucking rocks!

Jay you did it! An organic miticide that is stoner proof!

how selective is it? is there a comprehensive post anywhere? shelf life? can be made from dried?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea i use a small amount compared to other plant extracts, lavender is strong stuff in general. usually when it comes to herbs the stronger the plant smells the less i use.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
I went pretty light on my lavender. 3g grams of dried flowers only. Very fragrant. I also let the solution sit for 4 days before using, but even at that concentration it seems to have killed all the spider mites that were hit.

Mad Librettist yep it sure can be made from dried flowers also. That's what i did. Smells great and i've been using it on furniture as well. :)

thanks again Jay Kush :D I'm telling everyone who will listen.

bendoslendo

The Azamax did elicit a response but did not kill them....

Azamax works best as an anti-feedant and should be applied as soil drench or added to reservoir without nutrients. It is not a contact killer, which is why you observed what you did.

Ras Mason apparently has the inside poop on azamax. His advice worked for me. Read down for info https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=164645

My hypothesis is that mites are a niche pest that evolved to take advantage of the unique inability of stoners to get their shit together.
:laughing: hilarious

Thanks Jay Kush and all others who brought it up, I'm buying some lavender seeds and dedicating a small area in my veg room to a nice lavendar bush just in case these little nasties ever return.:wave:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Jay Kush and all others who brought it up, I'm buying some lavender seeds and dedicating a small area in my veg room to a nice lavendar bush just in case these little nasties ever return.

its ok you can grow the lavender outside, they are winter hardy, drought tolerant, and there not illegal. the final product will be much better given proper sunlight and soil outside. once established lavender will give you multiple harvests of the blooms each year, it can be dried and used at least a year later before going "bad", fresh dried or fresh plants will have more essential oils/plant compounds.

D

Duk~O~Deth

I hope I am not speaking out of turn

but I really think that this information should be a sticky in the Cannabis Infirmary section

To be honest I am not a strictly organic grower. I do however read this forum habitually and learn from it every day.

I would say that not every grower does and it would benefit the community greatly if other growers could see this as an option. In my opinion this is also a health issue. So like you said Jay we should spread this around the best we can. I will do what i can for patients her in this state.

thanks again

DOD

DARC MIND

Veteran
Azamax works best as an anti-feedant and should be applied as soil drench or added to reservoir without nutrients. It is not a contact killer, which is why you observed what you did.

Ras Mason apparently has the inside poop on azamax. His advice worked for me. Read down for info https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=164645
clack and myself imo have listed better neem products then the overpriced azamax. azamax and azatrol are common neem concentrates sold @ hydro stores but only contain 1.2% of Azadirachtin. (1200ppm??) & im not sure how the neem is processed.
supreem neem oil contains at least 1900 ppm of azadirachtin & NeemResource.com neem cake or oil (is it really 4500 PPM??) are better buys imo & foliar applying should be ur choice if mites on foliage is ur target

post #89 gives u the inside scoop on azamax same with the first few pages of this thread.
hth

MrFista

Veteran
CC1

I was thinking about a business concept of fermenting rosemary, mint and adding cinnamon oil and clove oil and making an insecticide. "Rose Mary's Mighty Miticide Mystery Mix"

Oaksterdam U has a branch operation in Molalla, Oregon called "Ball Sack U" and I've completed all of their classes.........

• Flushing - It's Not Just for Human Exudes
  • Boil Those Roots! It's the Dankiest
  • Molasses - Can You Ever Use Too Much?
  • Endo vs. Ecto - Does it Really Matter?
All I would need is a dozen sock-puppets to promote this new product and I could be walking in tall cotton.

Looking for a career change?

CC

ROFL! HAHAHAHAHA.

I found thousands of seeds in lavender heads when you dry them they fall out. I'll toss em in/on some mix and see if some take or not.

Lavender is a good plant to put around/close to your citrus trees along with rue and nasturtiums underneath as ground cover to keep grasses back.... A plant guild of companions. Use the dwarf varieties of lavender unless you got lots of room.

bendoslendo

yes winter hardy in new england. not all cultivars but the ones you'll find locally most likely

I grabbed a pack of these http://www.amazon.com/Lavender-Seed...V5X6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293159924&sr=8-3

Sounded good due to it's short size. I'll probably pick up a start in the spring when they are available at the local garden center as well.

Come to think of it, I might have a massive lavender bush growing in my yard already. Any way to identify the plant while in winter mode?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Come to think of it, I might have a massive lavender bush growing in my yard already. Any way to identify the plant while in winter mode?

can u take a photo

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
very interesting thread, i actually did some experimenting with eucalyptus oil spray against mites. while it was successful in getting rid of the mites in the end, i killed a few plants trying to find the right dose, lol. after a while i just left a jug with the mixture i'd made for spraying in the veg cab and a few weeks later i noticed not 1 mite left, neither did they come back when i planted the plants outdoors to flower.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
very interesting thread, i actually did some experimenting with eucalyptus oil spray against mites. while it was successful in getting rid of the mites in the end, i killed a few plants trying to find the right dose, lol. after a while i just left a jug with the mixture i'd made for spraying in the veg cab and a few weeks later i noticed not 1 mite left, neither did they come back when i planted the plants outdoors to flower.
gaiusmarius

In the commercial horticulture industry there are 3 or 4 miticides that are either eucalyptus based or include either the oil or some other form of extract (alcohol?)

It's said to be very effective when applied to conifers and other hardy shrub stock.

CC

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Well....i dunked all of the plants thoroughly in a solution of lavender tea, spinosad and a few drops of detergent, making sure i washed of the stems too. That was sunday. Today is thursday.
its ok this spray kills mite eggs too.
Im sorry to say that its not the case @ my house. Like i said i dunked the plants. Washed everything and i mean EVERYTHING with a strong bleach solution. After i washed everything i sprayed everything with the mist sprayer with a bleach solution as well to make sure u got in every crack. Pots was washed as well. Floor was covered in bleach solution. A day after dunking the plants i examined them vigilantly and found no living mites, but plenty of eggs. Today thursday i can see very few adolescent mites, from the hatched eggs. So theres absolutely no doubt that the lavender kills the mites....but eggs? I dont think so. I will now continue to dunk every other day for a week. Then i hope theyll be gone! Thanks Jay.

Stay Safe

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i knew there was going to be mixed results( as there are a LOT of variables between all of us using this), from my experiences and clackamas coot and a few others, it does kill eggs( more like deform and render useless, we both used a microscope to test it visually, i checked the eggs every 5 hours when i wasn't asleep) even still, i recommend a few applications to do the job. plus your plants will love the folair feeding they are getting too. glad the dunk worked out for you. hope they dissapear, all that bleach works sounds like pain in the ass

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Indeed it was a pain in the ass. Both the veg room and flower room was subjected to the bleach treatment. Well yea i almost thought it was too good to be true if a single application would annihilate all mites and eggs. Now that you mention it...the mites that were alive looks a little crippled as well. Moving slowly and a general "weak" appearance. I will report back as i go along with the dunking. Also ill spread this simple recipe as far and wide as i can. This should definately be a sticky!!!!

Stay Safe