What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organics for mites

The_Weed_Worm

My experience with using both the neem seed oil and karanja seed oil is that it's most effective in alternating one with the other using liquid potassium silicate as an emulsion and yucca root powder as a surfactant. I add this to a mixture of kelp meal and neem/karanja seed meal tea and in particular the kelp meal component has been shown to inhibit the hatching of mite larva.

Having said that, it's also been my experience that a combination of fermenting both lavender flowers and rosemary with some kind of mint addition (marjoram, basil, spearmint, peppermint, et al) to copy the organic miticide out of Canada called EcoTrol and using the addition of both potassium silicate and yucca root extract powder to be a complete and total miticide.

Using the neem seed meal and kelp meal tea as the 'carrying agent' for the fermented flowers from the lavender and rosemary has proven to be extremely effective.

HTH

CC

NICE! Awesome research! From my experiences with making my own neem/flower/herb mixtures is they were too strong and ended up burning the plants, any advice.

Worm

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The_Weed_Worm

Here is the final formula that I ended up testing and given the results it will be the formula that I will be sticking with.

There are 2 components to this mixture and they are as follows:

1. The active component which consists of taking 2 cups of organic lavender flowers, 1/2 lb. of rosemary, 1/4 lb. of a a mint (however you get there - i.e. it doesn't matter), 1/4 cup Canadian glacial rock dust, 1/4 cup of SEA-90 (minerals), 1/2 cup of organic yucca extract (carbohydrate), 1/4 cup of EM-1 mother culture and 2 gallons of water. I fermented this down to < 2.8 pH

2. For the carrying agent I did the following:

1/2 cup of both organic kelp meal and 1/2 cup of a combination of neem & karanja meals to 5 gallons of water and bubbled out for 24 hours.

The final solution is this:

1/2 cup of the 'active component' to 1 gallon of the kelp & meal tea. To this I added 1/2 tsp. of potassium silicate and 2 oz. of yucca extract (surfactant).

Apply to the point where the leaves are hanging like they are dying from a lack of water. Re-apply every 72 hours until you've applied it 4x

Beyond the miticide deal there is the fungicide deal with this mixture from the kelp, neem, karanja, lavender and rosemary.

HTH

CC

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
I've now saved your recipes and will attempt them in the future (god willing I wont... but we know I will).

By ferment, you mean add yeast?

Edit:

I cannot seem to find karanja seed/meal on the web... I would like to try it and possible start some seedlings. Source?

Maina

Veteran
I got some organic tabaco and was told make a tea 10 grams tabaco 1 lt water set over night start with hot water.They said it will kill the shit out of them ANYONE?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I've now saved your recipes and will attempt them in the future (god willing I wont... but we know I will).

By ferment, you mean add yeast?

Edit:

I cannot seem to find karanja seed/meal on the web... I would like to try it and possible start some seedlings. Source?
Mr Celsius

Fermenting using one of the EM-1 concoctions or Gil Carandang's BIM formula. Yeasts are involved in both methods along with the lacto strains, enzymes, etc.

Both organic neem seed and karanja seed meals are available at NeemResource.com (DBA The Ahimsa Foundation) - I believe that Ms. Usha Rao uses the term 'cake' instead of 'meal' which is common in most parts of the world other than the USA.

These products are out of India and are handled by Parker Group India which is the major trade group for neem tree products grown in the ancient groves in Southeast India.

There is another neem seed oil product that is out of Florida. They grow neem trees and process the seeds into oil, cake/meal, etc. They also have bark and leaves available. Some Auyervedic practioners make and drink teas made from the leaves. Here's a link to the Florida producer, Neem Tree Farms. Check out the section titled "Raw Botanicals' as they carry some interesting products like the dehydrated aloe vera leaves. It's their claim that 1 gram = 3.8 kilograms of whole leaf. That's the claim anyway.

HTH

CC

DARC MIND

Veteran
when it comes to pest, I finding more & more, a series of pest control/management methods always prevail.
I tend to use a small arsenal of varies alternating natural prevention & control means of handling problem critters;usually found in the cabinat or growing in the garden. if further observation/monitoring indicate that my less risky controls are not working as planned, then additional pesticide control methods would be employed, such as a series targeted spraying of proper ID'd pest.
Monitoring the pest is key,understanding its life cycle,enemies, its needs ect also help.

IME, neem is not a pesticide with immediate knock down results,yes certain products are processed better,contain more of certain ingredient ect but that doesnt make it a end all, fix all some labels make it out to be.
from my understanding "it works on chewing and sucking insects and interrupts their basic instincts to eat, breed and lay eggs. Eating is interrupted soon after neem is applied, while other behavior disruptions may occur up to a few days later, if the insect is not already dead from starvation."
i find neem works pretty swell @ eradicating mites but after several sprays/weeks depending on size of borg problem/infestation.
using a combination of mite alternatives increases success ime & of course certain products are better then others.

heres another good neem product
supreme neem
"one of the highest grade pure neem oils for personal use available today. It contains at least 1900 ppm azadirachtin. The oil is cold pressed and extracted from neem seeds without heat, chemicals, petrochemicals and retains all the well balanced nutrients in the oil - many which would otherwise be lost. It is non toxic to humans, birds, earthworms or animals."
HTH

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Not entirely on topic, but more tangential to the topic. Has anyone ingested any of the lavender PE or FPE themselves? I've found limited info on culinary uses, but i'm curious about realworld feedback. thanks :) It smells really good...

mad librettist

Veteran
I'm running an experiment now on a stoner friend caring for a mum of mine that is infested. My hypothesis is that mites are a niche pest that evolved to take advantage of the unique inability of stoners to get their shit together.

He has strict instructions to spray every 3rd day with soap and water.

"the mites are back"

"did you stick to the schedule?"

"no"

the trick to fighting mites is not finding the right product, it's sicking to the damn schedule.

put down the bong, pick up your calendar, and stick to the schedule. You will beat the mites every time.

¿kama3

i dont know if it's really working since i got rid of my spidermite with green soap/tobacco juice but i recently got that i idea so i'm willing to share it.
first i had pepper plant along with cannabis plants, and the mites had colonized the whole garden except the pepper plant. then one day i thought i make some china style food and bought a pretty expensive chilli sauce thats absolutely not edible for me.
i thought i wont throw that away and use it to exterminate bugs, since this evaporates really strong aroma i think i can just put it in an opened case between my plants an idea or what?:tiphat:
lingham%27s-garlic-chilli-sauce.jpg
http://http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yApw4gLxzGU/SaKKzEDvLlI/AAAAAAAAMTM/hCiOcNCiY68/s800/lingham%27s-garlic-chilli-sauce.jpg
lingham%27s-garlic-chilli-sauce.jpg

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Well the lavender works it seems...i spray and theyre pretty much gone. But my motherplants are so big, that its impossible for me to get under EVERY single leaf even tho i try hard with my wand type pressure sprayer. So next step is to dunk the whole plant. Ill make a strong tea, and then do solution a little higher than what jay suggests. Then ill dunk the whole plant making sure stems and soil surface is properly drenched. A full on cleaning of the veg room with bleach and then a dunk again 5 days later..if that doesnt do the trick, then floramite it is!

Stay Safe

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
thanks GDK. I wanted to report on my results with the lavender PE as well. I did not find any moving spidermites the day or two days after spraying.
No residual smells or residues either.

good luck GDK

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
It was the moderator JayKush who first brought this to the board. He should be elevated to 'Organic God' by ICMAG - the lavender tea is without a doubt the most effective insecticide that I've ever used - including neem seed tree products, bicarbonates, et al.

Nothing short of amazing actually.

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the lavender works it seems...i spray and theyre pretty much gone. But my motherplants are so big, that its impossible for me to get under EVERY single leaf even tho i try hard with my wand type pressure sprayer. So next step is to dunk the whole plant. Ill make a strong tea, and then do solution a little higher than what jay suggests. Then ill dunk the whole plant making sure stems and soil surface is properly drenched. A full on cleaning of the veg room with bleach and then a dunk again 5 days later..if that doesnt do the trick, then floramite it is!

just repeat the spray every 5 days if your plants are heavily infested, ive seen very infested plants that needed 2-3 applications. but the good thing is your also feeding your plant along with killing mites. i apply lavender tea all the time for general plant health and i dont even have mites.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
jay- my hibiscus that perished after the lavender treatment has new regrowth from its stump. And 100% mite-free. :)

D

Duk~O~Deth

Thank you

Thank you

Jay

I took a cup of some desert lavender added it to a gallon of water and bubbled that for 24hours. Added 2.5ml "Dr Bronner's Magic Soap" (18-in-one Hemp Peppermint Organic Castille Soap).

I sprayed the plants for two weeks every 5 days.

THE MITES ARE GONE.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful bit of knowledge.

The mites can drive some of us to madness and desperation. Truly light in the darkness.

p.s. You really should get moving on a patent on this spray. Thanks for sharing

DOD

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you don't need to bubble it just so you know, a waste of electricity imo.

i have no need for a patent, im sure some sorry lame ass will try and steal it and make cash but im not in it for the money. if everyone makes/spreads the word on making it for free no one can make cash off it.

nice dig. maybe that was the hibiscus plan all along.

mad librettist

Veteran
just repeat the spray every 5 days if your plants are heavily infested, ive seen very infested plants that needed 2-3 applications. but the good thing is your also feeding your plant along with killing mites. i apply lavender tea all the time for general plant health and i dont even have mites.

watch it! if your temps are on the high side the mite life cycle speeds up. It can get as fast as 3 days from egg to egg laying.