What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

V

vonforne

Hello B1, Just checking in with you.

BTW, this is the most viewed thread here now. Good job brother.

V-man

stoned_skater

Reusing LC Mix #1

Reusing LC Mix #1

Add the same amount of worm castings, perlite and dolomite lime to the mix as in the original recipe when reusing it. Remove the root ball and reuse it right away.
Burn1

Burn One - Would I use the same formula to reuse LC Mix #1? Also, I'm curious why you would add more perlite - does it break down and lose effectivess or something?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
stoned_skater

When I re-use my soil and add compost and/or EWC, by volume I add the same amount of pumice. Otherwise I have found that the 'new soil' is quite dense (lacking aeration) if I don't add an aeration amendment.

That's been my experience anyway.

HTH

CC

jasonk

Hey everyone, I found some Blackstrap molasses at the local grocery store, but it's ingredients are "Blackstrap Molasses (Sulphites)"
This deosn't sound like the un-sulphured kind I was supposed to get!:wallbash:
Can someone confirm this? What's wrong with the Sulphites version?
Also, I can't seem to find instructions on how to use this. When and how much?

I'm currently feeding 3 seedlings 5-1-1 fish emulsion until my Neptune's harvest arrives.

Thanks!

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone, I found some Blackstrap molasses at the local grocery store, but it's ingredients are "Blackstrap Molasses (Sulphites)"
This deosn't sound like the un-sulphured kind I was supposed to get!:wallbash:
Can someone confirm this? What's wrong with the Sulphites version?
Also, I can't seem to find instructions on how to use this. When and how much?

I'm currently feeding 3 seedlings 5-1-1 fish emulsion until my Neptune's harvest arrives.

Thanks!
I'd look for unsulfured blackstrap molasses.
Burn1

V

vonforne

Thanks CC. How was your experience re-using that soil - I've never tried it.

In my experience the soil gets better with time. Once you start re-using it the nutrients are more available and the soil has balanced itself out.

Like CC said do not forget to add perlite or more pumice. You do not want to choke the plants out.

V

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
stoned_skater

My experiences with 'used soil' is exactly the same as Vonforne - the soil gets better over the years.

I think that the most important part is to start with top quality products. The additional price (if any) is more than made up by the quality of your soil.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Vonforne

At a trade show put on by the OAN (Oregon Association of Nurseries) a few months back, a representative of a company who is importing a wide range of neem tree products showed us a 'neem coir' which they claim can last up to 8 years before it breaks down making it even better than coconut coir and especially peat moss.

They're due back at the big OAN show next month in Portland and I'm going to try and buy a few bales of the product to test. If this product can compete as far as pricing vs. traditional soil bases (peat or coconut coir) then it could be a real boon to the horticulture growers in this area.

Interesting product.

CC

stoned_skater

Thanks CC and Vonforne - looking forward to trying. Happy that I used greensand in the original formula because apparently its benefit increases with time.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
stoned_skater

This article may further explain why re-using your soil is a good idea. Keep in mind that the author of this article is the guy who imports Archipelago Bat Guano (0-7-0) and it's his job to maximize the sales of this product.

He's probably too honest to ever become wealthy from his endeavors perhaps?

An interesting read to say the least.

HTH

CC

jasonk

I'd look for unsulfured blackstrap molasses.
Burn1

Checked 3 more stores today, however they all sell the same brand with 3 or so different types of cooking Molasses. The only one that sounded near correct was the Blackstrap with sulphides. Is there a specific reason why it's not recommended?

Thanks!

I N Hail

Growing Grower AKA Wasted Rock Ranger
Veteran
jasonk ,if you haven't looked at one yet,i had to get mine at a health food store
( weird i know, that much sugar and at a health food store)

V

vonforne

jasonk ,if you haven't looked at one yet,i had to get mine at a health food store
( weird i know, that much sugar and at a health food store)

I went to a health food store in America. Tree of Life is a good brand from there. It costs a little more but well worth the price.

V

Bushboy65

Hello B1, and every 1 else.

Forgive my low post count, but up till now I've bin a hydro guy and was happy with what I had going on. I lurk and read when I can. Don't chat often.

Anyways I've been looking for this plan for a while. Every time I used 'store soil/less mixes I wasn't happy (for the green as well as house plants). After reading this thread (yup 4 evenings of ignoring my better half lol) I am getting a glimmer of why this was. So after reading lots I went ahead and mixed up some LC#2 since I had 7 clones in Rockwool that needed a new home fast. Figgured I'd get them going in 6" pots while the main course 'cooked'.

Here is my problem. I knew the amounts didn't jive, but I couldn't figure it out in time. I used the 3 quart pot as 1 part, but counted it as '1 cu ft' instead of the total of 10 parts = 1 cu ft. therefore I added to much lime. Bottom line is I added 5 cups of powdered Dolomite Lime to 1 cu ft of mix (ya i know the math is wrong I used 1 pot = 2 parts).

I haven't seen this Q in the thread so I am asking what happens when you add to much lime? Im thinking I should just mix new mix asap and repot the clones b4 to much damage occurs.

Any input?

Thanks

jasonk

I finally found all the ingredients for LCs #2 mix. The smallest nursery in town had the EWC! I also found some molasses at the health food store. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Unfortunately I had 3 seeds already started in plain Pro mix with perlite and was watering with water straight from the tap. I have given them a dose of fish emulsion once a week for 2 weeks now and have what looks like an N deficiency (browning tips and yellowing of the oldest leaves, please correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure if this is the place to post pictures, but you can check out my album to see the problem leaves.

Now that I have all my soil ingredients and the Neptune's Harvest on the way, it's time to do this by the book. Am I too late for these three seeds (3 weeks old now)? Can I simply transplant, removing some Promix and re-potting into bigger pots with LCs#2? How long should I let my mix sit for, and should I add molasses and/or fish emulsion to the water I wet it with? I'm looking into finding some Liquid Karma as well, does a typical hydro store carry this?
I'd like to get away from the fish emulsion as much as possible, even just the moist soil stinks up the room for over a day! How necessary is it with Neptune's Harvest, and is there a better alternative?

Thanks for any and all help!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I finally found all the ingredients for LCs #2 mix. The smallest nursery in town had the EWC! I also found some molasses at the health food store. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Unfortunately I had 3 seeds already started in plain Pro mix with perlite and was watering with water straight from the tap. I have given them a dose of fish emulsion once a week for 2 weeks now and have what looks like an N deficiency (browning tips and yellowing of the oldest leaves, please correct me if I'm wrong). Not sure if this is the place to post pictures, but you can check out my album to see the problem leaves.

Now that I have all my soil ingredients and the Neptune's Harvest on the way, it's time to do this by the book. Am I too late for these three seeds (3 weeks old now)? Can I simply transplant, removing some Promix and re-potting into bigger pots with LCs#2? How long should I let my mix sit for, and should I add molasses and/or fish emulsion to the water I wet it with? I'm looking into finding some Liquid Karma as well, does a typical hydro store carry this?
I'd like to get away from the fish emulsion as much as possible, even just the moist soil stinks up the room for over a day! How necessary is it with Neptune's Harvest, and is there a better alternative?

Thanks for any and all help!
jasonk

It's been my experience that if the plant is alive then putting that plant into a better soil is a good thing.

RE: Fish emulsion - this stuff is bad, bad, bad given the level of mercury, arsenic, i.e. heavy metals. You're much better off with fish hydrosylate which I believe Neptune's uses in their products. Check the label to be sure.

HTH

CC

V

vonforne

Vonforne

At a trade show put on by the OAN (Oregon Association of Nurseries) a few months back, a representative of a company who is importing a wide range of neem tree products showed us a 'neem coir' which they claim can last up to 8 years before it breaks down making it even better than coconut coir and especially peat moss.

They're due back at the big OAN show next month in Portland and I'm going to try and buy a few bales of the product to test. If this product can compete as far as pricing vs. traditional soil bases (peat or coconut coir) then it could be a real boon to the horticulture growers in this area.

Interesting product.

CC

That is interesting. This is the first time I have heard that. It´s Google time.

I have taken a bigger step with the coco this round. I mixed 60-40 peat and coco and will run it in flower for this round. I did about the same for my 2nd transplant in veg.

Thanks for the tip on the Neem coir.

V