What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Just a random tought that passed thru my head:

A - Does the discard material from my vaporizer (Vaped up to 215-230 deg. C) have any of the qualities of biochar? I remember that biochar is burned at low temps without oxigen.
B - How can I use the discards from the vape best in my soil?

Thanks!

S

SeaMaiden

Exploziv, I believe it will decompose instead of behaving like biochar. No reason not to use it, though.
I am going to make my own soil mix for the first time
I will use org. soil 80% and wormcastings 20%
for nutrients im gonna use fish meal, kelp meal and dry beer yiest, cup of dolomite lime
also i will prepare some wormc. tea with mollasses for bacterias and i will use some myco
Im trying to make it as simple as possible so any tips would be appreciated

what do u think about it, is there any common mistakes for the firsttimers to care about?
what about temps, its a bit cold outside, can it delay soil cooking and bacterias?

Don't use the fish meal if the mix is going outside. Just. Don't. Do. It.

Unless, that is, you don't mind animal digging it up and stuff. I already made that mistake. Raccoons find it irresistible.

Last edited:

bigshrimp

Veteran
Low temp pyrolysis starts at 390-570 f . In not sure if vapes can run that high but that's a good starting point. I'd pyrolize further or compost through worm bin, they should love it.

O

onlychild

I've covered about 7o pages, still looking for high npk organic views

I've covered about 7o pages, still looking for high npk organic views

First Off Kudos to all who make this a better post! :woohoo:
quick and precise question for the experts here, I've seen a powder seaweed that's rated 1-1-16. do we like that number so high in organics, it matters right? should I use as a stacker or stick to my wonderful maxicrop product?

Much Karma To Everyone Here.
:ying:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
The reason for the high 'K' numbers comes from adding 'Soluble Potash' which isn't what it sounds like but that's another story.

Plus if you live in the USA and have access to the powdered seaweed extract from Acadian Seaplants, it's 45% less than the Maxicrop powdered product.

The Maxicrop 'liquid seaweed' products are simply re-hydrated seaweed extract powder with 'Soluble Potash' to bump up numbers.

Check the labels......

O

onlychild

The reason for the high 'K' numbers comes from adding 'Soluble Potash' which isn't what it sounds like but that's another story.

Plus if you live in the USA and have access to the powdered seaweed extract from Acadian Seaplants, it's 45% less than the Maxicrop powdered product.

The Maxicrop 'liquid seaweed' products are simply re-hydrated seaweed extract powder with 'Soluble Potash' to bump up numbers.

Check the labels......
Thank You for the reply, i was referring to techniflora 1-1-16 powder seaweed, which is omri listed. I was under the impression it was 100% pure organic Norwegian kelp...without Soluble Potash added. I should of stated my question clearer. my bad

B

BlueJayWay

It's not 100% pure Norwegian kelp, its a very concentrated powdered seaweed extract - go very lightly or you will burn the fuck out of your plants, even if I was still using it, that container would last a lifetime - didn't like it one bit.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had some high p guano around that I figured I would add to my mix this round. I am wondering if 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of high p guano is going to be too hot in this mix ratio.

I mixed about 8 gallons of this ratio of mix into 2 mostly full 5 gallon buckets to cook for a couple weeks.

6 red beer cups FFOF
2 red beer cups chunky perlite
1 red beer cup coco coir
3/4 measuring cups EWC
1/4 measuring cup High P Bat Guano
1.5 tbsp. powdered dolomite lime

Each plant will be in only 1/2 gallon grow bags of this mix. Last run with my micro SOG I used the half gallon bags with the same mix basically minus the guano and I watered with nutes too in mid flowering.

I was thinking that would be ok originally. But now am kind of scared, I have been seeing 1-2 tbsp guano per gallon soil mix and I have about 4 tbsp per gallon of mix.

If its a bit on the hot side I have a couple gallons of plain FFOF I could mix it all back together with to cool it down slightly. If it should be fine then Ill just rock with it.

Hey growers not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here goes.
Have a 5yd pile of Mushroom compost, consists of organic Chicken manure blended with organic straw, after the mushrooms burn up what they want from this mix it is steam sterilized, comes to me piping hot.
Its been sitting in a pile for 2 yrs now and I have tested it for PH/Nutes and it is showing me a PH of 7.6 to 7.8 with almost no N but moderate to high P and K. Looking to build my own soils from this base, wondering if someone can suggest how to get my PH in line and boost the N. at the same time. I have done a couple of experimental grows in this mixture by adding Perilite into the compost but as you may guess I am having lock out issues on nutes once the plants get some growth to them.
Hoping to keep things organic, any thoughts are helpful.
Thanks
C

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bueno time if you are concerned your mix is 'hot;' it probably is ~ i wouldnt use FFOF to cut it down though; i would use peat/perlite ~letting the mix sit moist for a while really helps to let everything mellow out; a dose of compost tea during this time helps

medical grower you will be OK using this mushroom compost as the 'EWC' component in your mix ~note that EWC should be at least 50% of this 'part'
may not be as 'alive' as we would all like to see but from sitting it may have some microbial action going on
it will not be optimum
edit further review; do not use mushroom compost

Last edited:
medical grower you will be OK using this mushroom compost as the 'EWC' component in your mix ~note that EWC should be at least 50% of this 'part'
may not be as 'alive' as we would all like to see but from sitting it may have some microbial action going on
it will not be optimum[/quote]

Keep the compost at 50% of my mix, PH will adjust down enough?
Thx
tiphat.gif

mg

itisme

Veteran
Use 1TBS dry high P bat guano and 1 TBS liquid seaweed and mix it in 1gallon of water, you can also add 1tsp of molasses to boost the microherd.

Liquid seaweed is essential in every organic gardeners cupboard.

So I am making my own soil. I did not have room to break it down and do it in parts so I have a full bale of Pro Mix BX @3.8cu ft, (3) 30lb bags of EWC, and I had to add about 3 or 4 cu ft of perlite to make it look aerated.

I mixed in these ingredient and the 1/2 or 1 cup per cu ft recommendations at the begging of the thread.

Dolomite Lime powdered
Kelp Meal 0-0-1.5 I think it was
Blood Meal 12-0-0
Bone Meal 6-9-0
those are already in there and moistened

I have ordered....
Dr Earth Soft Rock Phosphate 0-2-0
Dr Earths Alfalfa Meal 2-1-1
Diatomaceous Earth not sure of the NPK but it has lots of trace minerals and helps fight insects, Right?

1. I would like to add NEEM CAKE....should I?
2. When I hit flower will it be ok to do a light dose of the mix SUBY used above? I have some Indonesian Bat Guano I could use and make a tea but I don't want to burn them.

S

SeaMaiden

I would add in some Azomite or similar (micros), and I would definitely add the Neem cake or meal. I would keep some of that Neem on hand as well, it comes in handy if you see pests. I would use the kelp meal to make a tea instead of buying something else. The guano tea amounts don't look bad to me or as though they could burn plants unless the plant is very young.

The DE will offer up Si as well as some pest-fighting, yes. The soft rock phosphate won't be biologically available for a year or two, and I'm basing this on Eliot Coleman's work. So you'll probably need to provide more ready P. The bonemeal's P could suffice in the meantime, but I cannot say for certain, it's been a while since I've used it. I have made tea with bone and blood meal. Both stink like gack.

You could also add in crab meal and the chitin promotes fungal growth in the media. Be aware it also adds CaCO3. I can't remember if it's got an NPK listed, I'd have to check my bag again.

itisme

Veteran
Sea Maiden...
I just ordered some organic fish meal, neem cake, and crab meal.

I have some Indonesian bat guano I am wanting to add....0.5-13-.02 and I was hoping that would be enough without burning my well rooted clones.

I just ordered the Azomite.

W89

Veteran
So I am making my own soil. I did not have room to break it down and do it in parts so I have a full bale of Pro Mix BX @3.8cu ft, (3) 30lb bags of EWC, and I had to add about 3 or 4 cu ft of perlite to make it look aerated.

I mixed in these ingredient and the 1/2 or 1 cup per cu ft recommendations at the begging of the thread.

Dolomite Lime powdered
Kelp Meal 0-0-1.5 I think it was
Blood Meal 12-0-0
Bone Meal 6-9-0
those are already in there and moistened

I have ordered....
Dr Earth Soft Rock Phosphate 0-2-0
Dr Earths Alfalfa Meal 2-1-1
Diatomaceous Earth not sure of the NPK but it has lots of trace minerals and helps fight insects, Right?

1. I would like to add NEEM CAKE....should I?
2. When I hit flower will it be ok to do a light dose of the mix SUBY used above? I have some Indonesian Bat Guano I could use and make a tea but I don't want to burn them.

Good luck with your soil mix mate, I would cut the blood meal and just use alfalfa and the bone meal for organic fish bone meal.
Neem is great stuff and kelp is one of the best things I would recomend you use.. I use it in pretty much every watering.. It contains so much good stuff you cant go wrong

SmokeandVapor

couldnt figure how to edit the last post so i must say this is a useful thread and i search for it often imo it should be a sticky

please sticly and bump and feel free to remove the other post unless i figure it out lol