What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

senate

Having a hard time finding either of the Scott's products even on the internet. DO they exist still? And are you saying the link I posted is not good to use for dolomite lime?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Having a hard time finding either of the Scott's products even on the internet. DO they exist still? And are you saying the link I posted is not good to use for dolomite lime?
No I'm not saying that. What I was saying is that Home Depot & Lowe's carry both Dolomite Lime and Limestone, i.e. no S&H

Dolomite Lime is Dolomite Lime - the brand doesn't mean anything

Scott's = Miracle Grow - they ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon.

CC

Siomha

hi everybody, iam reading here for a while now and decided to go organic on my second grow.
thanks for all the great info here specially to BurnOne :thank you:

i will skip on the spaghnum and

the soil is Biobizz All Mix and for the seedlings its Biobizz Light Mix.

so far i was able to get following ingredients:

dolomite lime
seaweed powder
guano
organic wormcasting
perlite
alfalfa powder
stinging nettles pellets
organic tomato fertilizer 7,0%N, 3,0%P, 10,0K
the fertilizer contains bonemeal, feathermeal, Molasses, microorganism.

i will use the stinging nettles tea for misting the plants

step in for any suggestion, thanks

Hello everyone,I am a long time gardener but fairly new to organics.Have had early success with tea feeds and soil mixes.I probably should have run all of this with older established individuals but ended up using it all on brand new babies.They are doing really well,lovely dark shade of green and establishing roots quickly.My question may seem a bit off but here we go.I know that when brewing tea if it smells bad/like shit your not aerating the mix enough.I have several new babies in cups and they are just about ready to transplant into one gallon pots.When I lightly cultivate the surface it smells like shit,pretty bad.I understand its what I am feeding the babies,they look great,I was just startled by the smell.I have really learned so much from this thread and want to thank everyone for all the valuable information shared in this thread.Take care and be well but most of all be safe my friends.

senate

If Bongaloid's mix is only for the start of 12/12, could you get away with vegging in just the regular LC mix (peat, ewc, perlite, lime) until bloom if you keep repotting? Could I just add water until bloom? Or, would you need to use veg nutes until repotting into Bongaloid's mix?

Also, the first mix with the blood and bone meal etc, it says you need to water it down adding liquid karma for a couple weeks. Do you do that with all the just-add-water mixes as well or just that one?

Thanks!

jubiare

Durdy

A soil's efficiency is measured by its Cation Exchange Capacity (CeC) and Sphagnum Peat Moss has a CeC of 100 and coir has a CeC of 70

So a more apt description when comparing these numbers would be that coco coir is less efficient at exchanging ions than Sphagnum.

Increasing the amount of viable humus in your potting soil mix will resolve that quickly.

HTH

CC

Clackamascootz, thanks for that. I used a 50/30/20 coco/perlite/ewc ratio; based on what you said/know, should I have added more ewc? Am I right to say that given what I have, I'd better water with ewc + humic acid teas all the time?

I seem to experience what looks to be some magnesium uptake problems.. I have used dolomite lime (just to confirm that)
Actually also granite dust, rock dust, zeolite and rock phosphate

Best,
Jare

Hello fello icmaggers, long time lurker here I thought since gaining such great info from you peeps just lurking around why not make an account instead of being in the shadows forever lol, please excuse the silly screen name I kno it's corny it's all I could come up with tho haha

bid26

Does anyone have any experience using a nutrient line combined with LC's mix? I'm about 1 1/2 weeks into flower and I ordered ingredients to make myself an organic nutrient tea to feed with. Due to Hurricane Sandy, the shipment was delayed more than a week (the plants were already needing some nutes) and it arrived damaged, so I have to return it.

I know that a local store sells the General Organic Go Box or something very similar to it. Does anyone have experience using a nute line like GO instead of a nute tea that LC described? Would it still be considered an organic grow if I were to use GO with LC's mix?

From what I've seen, the Go Box is organic but any advice is appreciated! I'll probably have to run out and pick something up soon and I can't rely on shipping at the moment - we're getting hit with another storm the next few days.

S

SeaMaiden

I have zero familiarity with those products, but if your girls are hungry, you know that your own body is manufacturing a perfect fertilizer, for free, every day, right? Start dilution ratio at 10:1, move up or down from there. If nothing else, it'll tide them over until you have your chosen fertilizers.

Is that urine 10 parts and water 1 part sm? Also what if you have a poor diet is it still usable without negative effects?

Was also wondering if anyone has read the book The Secret Life of Plants? I was thinking about purchasing it..

Coba

Veteran
yes, good book. at least, I thought so anyways...

plant sentience and our (people and plants) symbiotic relationships should be required reading for elementary children... well, at least the symbiotic part.

OrganicLearner here's a link to a thread about that kind of thinking
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=202912
here's another... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=225489
question.
when urinating on my plants, is my urine better in the morning? should I be saving that first piss o' the day? or, does my golden shower get better with the more coffee I drink? or after breakfast? or mid-day? I know my evening lizard drain is usually too polluted with pale ale... or is this a desirable quality in fertilizer piss?

if I were a caregiver, and my patients want full disclosure... should I tell them I use my own urine as a source of nutrients for their medicated inhale?

hey, did you know... aloe vera contains urea too? it has the most concentration of urea of any plant material... just an fyi fer ya

S

SeaMaiden

Is that urine 10 parts and water 1 part sm? Also what if you have a poor diet is it still usable without negative effects?

Was also wondering if anyone has read the book The Secret Life of Plants? I was thinking about purchasing it..

No, ten parts water to one part urine. How poor is your diet? I can't say about the diet, though logical, linear thinking would dictate that if your diet is poor, your piss is poor, too. But the thing is, is that none of the research I've read discusses the diet of the contributors.

The Secret Life of Plants has made many assertions which I believe have been debunked. I suggest Gaia's Garden, Teaming with Microbes (primer on soil food web), or if you really want to read just about plants, perhaps What a Plant Knows, but IMO it was not worth the $20 for an e-book that the publisher will not allow to be shared. Get a hardcopy, read it and pass it on.

Yes, I am that cheap. :tiphat:

Coba

Veteran
Its good to know that in a dire circumstance I can feed my plants.

My personal symbiosis with my plants starts and ends (then starts again) at the compost pile... im cheap too. But, i know what i put in is what i get out, and vise versa. My personal symbiosis with the aquifer is very similar.

I still like to act like my plants can tell what im thinking though... mythbusters be damned.

Respect

Thanks for those links coba, interesting stuff.. My diet isn't too poor but I do have top ramen and fast food occasionally when I'm not home sometimes..the urine fert is definitely a good thing to know but if I try this I'd rather do it right in the morning after first cup of water..

wouldn't want to have any piss poor performance so prior planning might be necessary ay sm..lol

Neo 420

Veteran
Does anyone have any experience using a nutrient line combined with LC's mix? I'm about 1 1/2 weeks into flower and I ordered ingredients to make myself an organic nutrient tea to feed with. Due to Hurricane Sandy, the shipment was delayed more than a week (the plants were already needing some nutes) and it arrived damaged, so I have to return it.
1.5 weeks into flowering and the nutes is gone? Which soil mix did you use? There is a difference between act tea's and nute tea's. ACT tea's are for establishing microbes in your soil and a nute tea is for adding nutrients. What nutes did you order?

I know that a local store sells the General Organic Go Box or something very similar to it. Does anyone have experience using a nute line like GO instead of a nute tea that LC described? Would it still be considered an organic grow if I were to use GO with LC's mix?
There is debate on the level of "organicness" of the GO lines but if GO floats your boat why not? I personally never used GO products and never will. What is your plants showing to alarm you there is a lack of nutes?