What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

I guess i do have a couple of options from amazon but shipping is rediculous and will take too long...need it this week.

I'm probably going to use the calcite and watch for magnesium def.

You can easily crush it your self but it dissolves in the soil with in a day or 2. I found a 50 lb bag of powdered at a landscape supply yard for about $10.
~DS

Last edited:
i got the calcite at lowes...all they had. I will do some more calling around tomorrow and see what i can come up with.

I'm in the north and its January so pickings will be slim.

G

greenmatter

You can find Espoma garden lime (dolomite lime) on Ebay for about $5 for a 5lb. bag. Hope this helps

you can get the same stuff at home depot and walmart where i live ..... i run the stuff through a coffee grinder to powder it. it works great, but it does thrash the blades on the coffee grinder pretty quickly . (it will still work for limestone , but i is pretty much useless to grind coffee)

@ Greenmatter I tried those places around my area and they carry Espoma but none of them had the lime. I had a heck of a time finding it for some reason.

h.h.

Veteran
http://yhst-81271578857918.stores.yahoo.net/sunleaves-soil-sweeter-5-lb--dolomitic-limeston5.html
You don't have to use dolomite if you're prepared for the consequences. Doing so will not bring blessings and is considered somewhat sacrilegious.

Just report back your results. Everybody asks the question but nobody ever tries to answer it. Greenmatter seems to be having luck grinding the Epsoma. I think I was dissolving it in water. Can't really say how it worked. Never did the recipe. I could never find peat without it being full of fertilizer. Now I have second thoughts about using peat at all.

consequences?? I figured i would get hell for getting off the recipe but sacreligious?

What consequences should i be aware of besides being short on magnesium?

After a little math i upscaled the recipe on pg 1.... hope this saves someone some time.

1 bag FFOF (1.5 cu ft)
4 gallons perlite
4 gallons EWC

That equals 20 gallons of soil or 2.5 cubic feet. Add 2.5 cups lime

trichogg

I have a question out to the ic organic crew... Is it ok to add chicken manure to a soil mix to cook if it smells like ammonia ? I know how it smelt when I got it and it's not the same... Will cooking make a difference ? This stuff has been sitting in the garage for about 6 months here in So Cal.

h.h.

Veteran
It's releasing nitrogen. Use it sparingly, it'll easily burn your plants. Maybe just use a little for top dress. I would resist mixing it in the soil.

grapeman

Veteran
I have a question out to the ic organic crew... Is it ok to add chicken manure to a soil mix to cook if it smells like ammonia ? I know how it smelt when I got it and it's not the same... Will cooking make a difference ? This stuff has been sitting in the garage for about 6 months here in So Cal.

chicken manure should be avoided in potted plants IMO. You need to know how long the manure has been composted and what the salt content is also. It is also known to tie up the availble zinc in your soil also, which could lead to zn deficiencies and others.

Just too many unanswered questions when there are many other safer organic products to use.

Mountain High

Veteran
First grow in amended soil.
I'm really interested in this method and decided to mix up some recycled soil using the 3LB recipe and let it cook for 6 weeks or so. I just planted freshly rooted clones into the soil this week and I am seeing pH issues, rusty spots and kinda droopy. Seems like they don't want to perk up. Roots look healthy, white and filling up the 16 oz beer cup fast. I never adjusted the pH from my past organic bottle nutes grows and I don't know why I see issues now.

I will give them some time and I just watered with some EWC tea, seaweed to see if they come out of it before I try adjusting the pH.

Any tips from the pros?

ExoSteve

If you adjust pH right now you'll have to adjust it for the entire grow...

ICMAG have some pH freak...:) Unless you grow hydro...don't mess with pH.

ExoSteve

I think what it destroy pH is to water with nutrients sometimes...and plain water other time.

You should check your runoff EVERY watering. That tell you how much your plant needs.

If you water with plain water and nutrients somtimes...its not the same ph. You should water evertimes with nutrients but some more ans sometimes less and ALWAYS WITH A RUNOFF to remove the build in salt up down.