What's new

Tutorial Organics for Beginners

Metatron

Man I went shopping today only to find the hydro store didn't have the kelp that they had listed! Stated before, powdered kelp can be exchanged for liquid kelp. I can't find it anywhere, but how do you incorporate it into your mix when the kelp meal is mixed in and cooked for 2 weeks?

I'm guessing just add the liquid kelp anytime I water, can some please point me in the right direction?

C

CT Guy

Man I went shopping today only to find the hydro store didn't have the kelp that they had listed! Stated before, powdered kelp can be exchanged for liquid kelp. I can't find it anywhere, but how do you incorporate it into your mix when the kelp meal is mixed in and cooked for 2 weeks?

I'm guessing just add the liquid kelp anytime I water, can some please point me in the right direction?

http://www.simplici-tea.com/seaweed.htm

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Also, I didn't realize (my partner didn't tell me) that we were out of molasses. What would the effect of brewing that veg tea without adding the molasses for about 15 hours and then adding it be? I am supposed to be going to dinner right now and do not have the time to grab it and then make it back to our spot.

dub 6

Sup Burn... Quick question for you and the organic gurus..

Using LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon of the soiless mix

And organic food source:
RECIPE #1
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon
1 tablespoon kelp meal per gallon
1 tablespoon Jersey Greensand per gallon

how would i incorporate diatomaceous earth and beneficial nematodes into the mix as preventative measures against pests?

how much and when would i mix these two things into the mix? or should the DE be top dressed once the plant is potted?

V

vonforne

Also, I didn't realize (my partner didn't tell me) that we were out of molasses. What would the effect of brewing that veg tea without adding the molasses for about 15 hours and then adding it be? I am supposed to be going to dinner right now and do not have the time to grab it and then make it back to our spot.

You can add just about any sugar product in a inc. It will not be optimal but it WILL work. Raw sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup all will go in a pinch but BSM being the best.

V

V

vonforne

Sup Burn... Quick question for you and the organic gurus..

Using LC's Soiless Mix #2:
6 parts Pro Mix BX
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon of the soiless mix

And organic food source:
RECIPE #1
1 tablespoon blood meal per gallon
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon
1 tablespoon kelp meal per gallon
1 tablespoon Jersey Greensand per gallon

how would i incorporate diatomaceous earth and beneficial nematodes into the mix as preventative measures against pests?

how much and when would i mix these two things into the mix? or should the DE be top dressed once the plant is potted?

First, this is to all :

B1 is taking a break. Me and Jaykush will be filling in with Crazy Composer helping also when he has time.

OK, I add the DE as a top dress when I use it. No need for the nematodes. I would just use teas, to me they are more beneficial than the nematodes. The tea will help maintain a healthy population of bacteria and other micro organisms that prevent disease and pests.

V

V

vonforne

I like liquid better......that is just me. I like to folair feed with it.

I add 1 TBS per gallon of water and then water in. Scratch the top of the soil and use a little bit of plain water to moisten the soil. Then add the kelp and water and what ever else you are using and then water. By scratching the surface of the soil you will find it drains slower rather than most of the water just shooting through the soil and out the bottom.

V

dub 6

OK, I add the DE as a top dress when I use it. No need for the nematodes. I would just use teas, to me they are more beneficial than the nematodes. The tea will help maintain a healthy population of bacteria and other micro organisms that prevent disease and pests.

V

Good lookin V, but I thought of using nematodes to take care of them bastard ass fungal gnats, and not so much to boost the microherd. I noticed a few of them this winter and I kno come spring they'll be booming in numbers. You think the DE will do the trick alone?

Thanks.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Bump....

So, I think that maybe I have a potassium defenciency? What would the best way to solve this, if that is what it is for sure? Here are the pics....

By the way, LC mix number 2 used. Watering with RO water and veg tea every third watering. Light is a 1000 MH. Strains are mixed.

Thanks!

V

vonforne

Good lookin V, but I thought of using nematodes to take care of them bastard ass fungal gnats, and not so much to boost the microherd. I noticed a few of them this winter and I kno come spring they'll be booming in numbers. You think the DE will do the trick alone?

Thanks.

Ya, the gnats lay their eggs in the first few cm´s of soil. Let it dry out on the top a bit. I have watered from the bottom for a few waterings as so not to wet the top layer and that will cause the little bastards a problem.

V

vonforne

Looks like a potash def. but could be P also your stems are purple..

Cure: Seaweed....liquid or Kelp meal made into a folair spray. Top dress with the meal also. You can also use comfrey tea and folair feed also. Wood ash is also high in potash but use caution with the wood ash.

P cure Worm castings, Fish meal, Soft Rock Phosphate, Jamaican or Indonesian Guanos

V

U

unthing

Hi

There's tons of info here, but I was wondering on particularly about composting inside one's apartment, this because I'm interested in it and don't have backyard or anything much outside space besides balcony (which is full of stuff anyway, I do keep some of my soil bags there)

I've seen these commercial composters for the kitchen which seemed to be plastic box with carbon filters to keep from smelling and container for drainage to keep it from rotting form excess water.

Anyone done diy-versions of these, am I missing some component here?

Edit: and it's winter here so not much worms to be found, so vermicomposting is out of the question at least for now.

Last edited:
Those plants look great! That little bit of burn on the bottom leaf most likely comes from the nutrients in the soil and the plants young age. Could not take it yet. It will grow out of that.

Plants look nice and green. Keep me posted n those pictures in the album.

V

Thanks again. Just wanted to let you know that the gals have bounced back in a big way since being transplanted into 5 gallon pots of LC # 2 pre-nuted with Mix 1. They seem to add 1-2 " /day. Several are showing pre-flowers, almost exactly on day 28 (two definite ♀, two likely ♂ .)

The sativa is my guinea pig for learning LST. So far, so good.

I'll try to get some pix tomorrow or the next.

pease

Hi all, it's my first post and -- surprise! -- I need some questions answered.

Right now I'm working with an old PC shell ((15.5" by 6" at the base and 16" tall)) for the flowering chamber and ex-speakerbox (( 12" by 8" and 33" tall)) for the mother, which I've duct-taped cardboard all along the inside. I was just about to put aluminum foil in it,, but I've decided to purchase some mylar as I've heard it has better reflective properties. My initial worries are that the veg box will be too small for my habits, but I can always make a bigger one later once I get the 'prototype down'. The biggest worry I have, though, is the smell -- as I plan to do this in an economy apartment.

The veg light I've got my eye on is this 5500 lumen one,, and Fleet Farm has 2700's I can get for 1/3 of the price of that one.

Uh,, to sum it up,, will i have enough space to flower two fems @ a time -- should I buy one or two of the 2700's??

Will my mother b cozy and have enough light with the 5500?

If I duck tape the computer case well enough,, will I have smell problems?? I don't care if my 1 bedroom stinks -- it's just the neighbors and landlord I'm avoiding.

Also,, as far as soil and nutrients I know nothing but potting soil and to let tap water sit for ~48 hrs before letting the plants drink... And maybe adding miracle grow to it once a week...

I'm on a limited budget and I've already shelled out on mylar and a digital timer,, the lights I will buy soon too..Some help pls? help me be like this guy >>>

moved from organic indo forum,, maybe this is the right place to put it. :hide:

I received one response telling me to go wit 5500 lumen light with both mother room and flower room,,, or would 2700 work in the computer flower box?

can chicken manure replace blood meal for LC#1? I have access to good quality fresh chicken manure I could compost if needed, what would be a better source of nitrogen?

V

vonforne

can chicken manure replace blood meal for LC#1? I have access to good quality fresh chicken manure I could compost if needed, what would be a better source of nitrogen?

Stick with the Blood meal ad compost the CS and try it alone later after the grow i going good with the BM.

V

Last edited:
V

vonforne

Hi

There's tons of info here, but I was wondering on particularly about composting inside one's apartment, this because I'm interested in it and don't have backyard or anything much outside space besides balcony (which is full of stuff anyway, I do keep some of my soil bags there)

I've seen these commercial composters for the kitchen which seemed to be plastic box with carbon filters to keep from smelling and container for drainage to keep it from rotting form excess water.

Anyone done diy-versions of these, am I missing some component here?

Edit: and it's winter here so not much worms to be found, so vermicomposting is out of the question at least for now.

Ther are small compostors on the market for inside the home. About Worm castings. Check the reference library and check outthehome made worm bins there.

V