What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ORGANIC VS INORGANIC. The great debate.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Folks, if we can't all be civil and nonaccusatory then we shouldn't post until we're calm and sober. What many people don't understand is this constant bickering is very off-putting. I've been guilty of this too but I learned to not post if I'm fuzzy-minded, in a lousy mood, or drink too much.

Sorry, mushroombrew but I'm on the verge of deleting this subscription because the negative banter and insults are irritating... which largely negates all the terrific information in this thread. I'm sure I'm not the only visitor who will visit this excellent thread lesser and lesser due to visitors (as wise, practiced and helpful as they are) who constantly bitch at each other until everyone's ears are bleeding.

Totally understand. Interested parties can PM for results in a few months. Shut this down if need be.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
5 gallon homer LOS 10' x 5' 2000 watt hps

5 gallon homer LOS 10' x 5' 2000 watt hps

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
5 gallong homer bucket los recycle 5' x 10' 2000 watt

5 gallong homer bucket los recycle 5' x 10' 2000 watt

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

growingcrazy

Mushy if you are really looking for an organic IPM approach this is my take...

I like to use yucca and hemp seed oil as my carriers. If you use room temp water for foliars, hemp oil works very well.

1-2 tbl hemp oil 1 tsp yucca per gallon, you may need more depending on your water.

For IPM it is the typical on contact essential oils... lavender and mint are my go to combo.

For pest eradication I prefer habanero spray, 1 lb habaneros into a gallon of water, steep on the stove and strain. Dilute 50/50 with water and your carrier oils. If it burns your skin and nostrils, it will kill any pest it contacts. Take that as a warning.

Those few things will eradicate and keep 99% of pests at bay. Well cycled use of ladybugs/predators and you can have a very easy to maintain organic IPM system...

PM is the tough one... just isn't a way to kill PM systemically and organically... Your just keeping it in dormancy. Healthy plants will not grow PM...

MrBungle

I recently made a batch of sun steeped ghost chile tea... about 5 peppers in a quart mason jar squished with a wooden spoon and strained after a couple/few days... the first application, i did about a cup of "FU juice" as i like to call it... in a quart sprayer, and i used some doc bronners peppermint castile soap (a few drops) to create that fire and ice effect...

anyways.. I sprayed for a few seconds without a mask... that was a bad mistake.. my throat and sinuses were scorched for the day..

lol I put a mask, gloves and eye protection after that

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
they look awesome ,, is the yield typical of los or would you get bigger in io ?

not that there isn't room for improvement but for less than a 7' ceiling this space is pretty stacked with pot

picture.php

I don't think I am getting more biomass in there without issues

def not with a hydro system

this is 4 feet deep with plants still

picture.php

there are a number of strains that if I mono cropped I could put our ridiculous numbers from strains like glue or shire 2.0

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
and i love to force flower growing chem or transitional but over all los for the watt is producing the same for me albeit more smaller plants and much more soil (2x as much)

it was a very difficult habit to lose because I love growing in homers like this

it is just so easy to get good looking plants many of the "elites" I ran where new to me and I had no history on them including bubblebum

chem and transitional tech treated me very well

these are all handwatered with promix and some have geolite on top to keep from top drying too fast and you can see the homers are not close to full of promix

nursery pots are as full as I feel is functional

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Pretty much put glycine in its place. Good read. Can I ask you if its effective adding common soy plant protein hydrolysate (amino acids) to a high carbonate/low sodium tap water to try and get the calcium more available???
So, I tried something out the last few days: I mixed about a gram of pure precipitated calcium carbonate with equal amounts (on a molar basis) with glycine and aspartic acid in distilled water.
It didn't really work ;( . After an initial building of bubbles (half the carbonate reacted with the aspartic acid), the reaction didn't proceed even with hours of boiling.
I redid the maths and unfortunately it turned out to be obvious that only acidic amino acids will do the trick with carbonate salts. Using only glycine or other neutral or even alkaline amino acids would require the addition of some acid to obtain a slightly acidic pH but removing that acid would be quite difficult.
And that's why carbonates are only mentioned in patent claims for the synthesis of aspartate and glutamate chelates whereas metal oxides and hydroxides (often formed in situ) are used in industry and research for any kind of amino acid chelate synthesis. Too bad that calcium in tap/well/river water only exists in the form of carbonate/bicarbonate and only to a minor degree as hydroxide.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Bought some calcium oxide and redid the experiment: After an initial cursing attack because the calcium oxide came in golf-ball sized adamant lumps and not as a nice powder I have to say that the synthesis works like a charm when brought to a boil for a few minutes even when using coarse crumbs instead of powdered material! :)

Cvh

Supermod
Allright, I'm converted. I have been a long time Coco and synthetic grower.
But today I bought the Biobizz product line and also Bat Guano, Bio Bacto, Bio Myco and a complete organic powder mix.

Organic makes just more sense to me.

I have a lot of studying to do now also. Wish me luck.

Trich_Tyson

I️ like both. I’ll be returning to organic, at least one light, this summer in a little bed.
I️ will say that working with salts the past year or so has helped me immensely to understand nutrient uptake and nutritional needs.
By knowing exactly what’s going in I️ was able to more easily learn to read plants and compare my visual analysis to what I’m feeding to make logical decisions.
Now I️ will be able get back to soil building with a hopefully more informed system rather than just blindly following recipes and wondering what’s up when something goes wrong.

Smoke wise.. good coco grown vs good organic. Both good in my book.