What's new

Organic Fanatic Collective

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, i suppose if u grow in tubs or troughs a cover crop would be ok for indoor/container-type growing

not so much for indoor pots -unless huge

jjfoo

this was exactly my plan, until I realized my containers look pretty fishy. Then I was left with trying to grow cover crops inside, and I just can't afford the light.

What if you skipped the cover crops and just ammended the soil?

What kind of containers do you use?

You responded to one of my posts last week about using other meats than fish and told me about bokashi.

how long does bokashi take? I just got bag of it in the mail and some other septic tank stuff for dog waste. I'm started using them a couple days ago and it was like 78 the other day. I live in so cal so it isn't really that cold.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imo cover crops only work in pots if you cycle the pots you use. meaning while you have plants growing in one set, you have another set with a cover crop, and maybe even one more that had the cover crop tilled in and waiting for plants to be put in.

otherwise i think soil amendments are just plain simple.

unless growing outdoors like mentioned, because you reap all the benefits of a cover crop not just one or two.

maryjohn

Veteran
What if you skipped the cover crops and just ammended the soil?

What kind of containers do you use?

You responded to one of my posts last week about using other meats than fish and told me about bokashi.

how long does bokashi take? I just got bag of it in the mail and some other septic tank stuff for dog waste. I'm started using them a couple days ago and it was like 78 the other day. I live in so cal so it isn't really that cold.

Presently, I do as you guessed and just amend the soil. I have some pots sitting from 2 months ago with some bokashi in them. I am sure they are done.

Did you order a bag of the bran? You need to make or buy a bokashi bucket, or use some other way to ferment organic matter (you can research)

To do this real cheap, you can make your own fermented bran. Just get a bottle of EM-1 from SCDworld.com

Are you doing the doggie composter? I got lazy about digging the hole to put the composter in.

No dog poop in the pot of food plants with the exception of high berry bushes and fruit trees!

jjfoo

Did you order a bag of the bran? You need to make or buy a bokashi bucket, or use some other way to ferment organic matter (you can research)
Yes, and I am using a home depot bucket with a lid. Isn't that all a bokashi bucket is? I painted it black and keep it in the sun. I am keeping the bran in the fridge.

No dog poop in the pot of food plants with the exception of high berry bushes and fruit trees!
If dog poop is broken down correctly isn't it is as bat shit from bats that eat bugs?

maryjohn

Veteran
sort of, and no.

bucket: you need a way to get rid of the liquid, so most people use 2 buckets, holes in the bottom of one. google it!

I will not be responsible for you thinking dog poo is safe for anything. forget about dog poo. Forget about all poo from predators. don't know why bats is fine, as i don't use guano.

jjfoo

I will not be responsible for you thinking dog poo is safe for anything. forget about dog poo. Forget about all poo from predators. don't know why bats is fine, as i don't use guano.

Sounds good, I don't exactly want to put my hands in something with dog poo residue.

JuneBugJoe

I see some real good post in the beg of this thread... but there is a lot of repeat information as well... I just read the compost tea thread and it took like 3 days... haha this thread has about 3 times as many pages and thats just a lot to read on top of all the other things i want to get my face in to... :lurk:

Before i spend a week reading this thread does anyone have like a good list of pages that include good topics, highlights, great facts anything... Just dont really want to waste time reading old methods and repetitive personal issues...

Jay he's right. A fillet of ofc thread, locked and limited, would be helpful. I never saw most of these pages. Just the ones showing up in a search.

Then this thread would be more like an ofc inbox. You could also do am "ofc answers" one way or limited discussion thread.

Trichgnomes

I have been curious for a while now as to what other types of fungi are helpful in the soil food web, as well as any non-mycorrhizal fungi that may be symbiotes with cannabis. I found this study after a quick search, and obviously it is about grasses, so it may not be applicable, I just wanted to see if I could get any input on the topic.

All plants maintain associations with fungal endophytes and epibionts. These associations between fungi and plants are generally a cryptic phenomenon in nature. Fungal endophytes may inhabit tissues of roots, stems, branches, twigs, bark, leaves, petioles, flowers, fruit, and seeds, including xylem of all available plant organs. These fungi have been found to impact on the ecology of plants, frequently enhancing capacity of host plants to survive and resist environmental and biological stresses through mechanisms that are only partially understood. In this project we will explore endophtes and their secondary metabolite products in a broad range of plants that have not yet been explored for these symbionts; and we will evaluate the roles of reactive oxygen species and secondary metabolites in the hypha-plant cell interactions in the clavicipitacious endophyte-grass symbiosis. Endophytes frequently appear to function as defensive mutualists to their grass hosts helping plants to survive drought, insect attack or pathogen infections. Much of the work of this proposal is targeted at identifying the defensive secondary metabolites and evaluating their utility as biorationals for agricultural applications in insect or microbial pathogen control and for medicinal applications. We will also seek to develop a more complete understanding of the ecology and physiological interactions of endosymbiotic fungi and their host plants. This research will directly impact New Jersey stakeholders in that our model system for examining the endophyte-plant interaction are the grass endophytes that are present in many turfgrasses. One of the key ecological outcomes of endophytes in turfgrasses is enhanced disease resistance. We will seek to understand the mechanism of disease resistance enhancement. Because the turfgrass industry is important in New Jersey and the United States this research has the potential to develop information that may be useful in producing more disease resistant turf cultivars and have a positive impact in the industry.

http://www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/213280.html

jjfoo

I was at a store and saw Voodoo Juice. It is like around $300/gal and people buy it and stock it. The ingredients are a bunch of different bacteria. Is this something that can be cultured at home to make a bottle go way further?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
jaykush

Voodoo Juice is an 'Advanced Nutrients' product - link

Please be seated reading their 'data sheet' on their product. I'd hate to find out that you dropped your laptop trying to get through this gibberish.

Nothing short of amazing.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
im still more than shocked over the 300 per gallon lol.
You guy's should get together and mix some stuff up........sell it for $557.49 per gallon....Call it something trendy/catchy.....I would bet if you put a fancy high gloss lable on it that it would fly out the door........Kidding,but I do think it would sell.

V

vonforne

You guy's should get together and mix some stuff up........sell it for $557.49 per gallon....Call it something trendy/catchy.....I would bet if you put a fancy high gloss lable on it that it would fly out the door........Kidding,but I do think it would sell.

LOL...the bad thing is .........you are right.

V

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
As long as you include either the term 'Humboldt' or 'Dutch' and you're good to go.

BTW - the same company that makes the Voodoo Juice also as a seaweed product that contains 'water & seaweed extract' that has a MSRP of $160.00 per gallon.

CC

tag

after all is said & done, plants grown outtdoors in the sun rain & wind without salty, metalic fertilizers taste and feel best.sure super pumped hydro under lights can be crazy wicked, its pallet or range will be lacking the depth of outdoor organic

Latest posts

Latest posts