What's new

Oregon Marijuana Legalization Measure Makes Ballot

RoadRash

I think one of the core things about any laws that go in the direction of marijuana re-legalization is -

do the local cops use the laws as a tool to harass, persecute, and incarcerate small time growers (fewer than 100 plants) ?

I think it depends on the county, and the city, and the state.

Jhhnn

Veteran
For the record, I edited my post #8 after reading the measure again. Article 75 rescinds laws against paraphernalia for persons 21 & older after going on at some length to define paraphernalia. Mea Culpa.

What's happening in the northwest should serve as fair warning to legalization proponents everywhere to get in on the front end, on the formulation of proposals to be presented to the voters. Don't leave it to people who are trying to make the best of what they see as a bad situation, the public's desire to end the marijuana war. In CO, we were very fortunate that true advocates like Mason Tvert had a strong hand in formulating A64.

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
This is going to be a nightmare if OR passes this. The OLCC runs the liquor in this stat with an iron fist. Now cannabis??? Let's hope not. I'm down for it being legal, but at what cost?? We just got legal dispensaries in this state ,let's go with that for a while before we give the power to the fucking OLCC. SL

RoadRash

This is going to be a nightmare if OR passes this.

For many families, American drug laws are a nightmare.

A few months ago, some SWAT team tossed a flash-bang into a baby's crib, somewhere in the South. There were a lot of news articles about it.

The laws should have a language outlawing the use of SWAT teams in Cannabis cases.

Jhhnn

Veteran
For many families, American drug laws are a nightmare.

A few months ago, some SWAT team tossed a flash-bang into a baby's crib, somewhere in the South. There were a lot of news articles about it.

The laws should have a language outlawing the use of SWAT teams in Cannabis cases.

The law should be structured in such a way that the vast, vast majority of marijuana raids should never occur at all.

We've had very, very few here in CO since the Feds shut down the Uribe clan's operation. Denver cops busted an Amsterdam style toking club, but not in swat fashion. Hell, I can't even find any news stories about any raids at all.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the baby you mention was living temporarily in a home outside of Atlanta Georgia. last I heard, he was in a medically induced coma & had about a 50-50 chance of survival. police said that when they made the alleged meth buy, there were no toys, no crib, no indication of children. but the night of the raid, the suspect was gone & the visiting families van was in the driveway with childrens car seats visible inside.

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
Are you f-ing kidding me......Liquor Control board! After all the preaching about liquor being way more harmful an deadly, OR is about to hand them the key to your future. When will sheeple get it.......politicians an the gub'ment work for us. We have strayed so far from democracy.

Another WA type law. Seems like it will pass.......money talks, blah, blah, blah. Good luck OR.

RoadRash

Are you f-ing kidding me......Liquor Control board! After all the preaching about liquor being way more harmful an deadly, OR is about to hand them the key to your future. When will sheeple get it.......politicians an the gub'ment work for us. We are strayed so far from democracy.

Another WA type law. Seems like it will pass.......money talks, blah, blah, blah. Good luck OR.

I'm not sure if Oregon is going out of their way to make Cannabis as hard to obtain as possible - or if they're just acting like it.

It's about $380 to go through the OMMP paperwork, prescription + filing the forms.

Oregon is also trying to make it impossible for small growers to do anything illegal - for example, it's not legal to sell Cannabis in Oregon. Only to 'cover your expenses'.

Somehow, I don't think all of that is an accident.

Oregon politicians seem to be terrified of the change that is occurring (has already occurred) in their state.

People growing marijuana FOR PROFIT ! ... call a SWAT team ... they must have forgotten to dot an i or cross a t on that there paperwork ... /sarc

shaggyballs

Veteran
The law should be structured in such a way that the vast, vast majority of marijuana raids should never occur at all.

We've had very, very few here in CO since the Feds shut down the Uribe clan's operation. Denver cops busted an Amsterdam style toking club, but not in swat fashion. Hell, I can't even find any news stories about any raids at all.

So you should never go to jail.....but you may.:biggrin:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Are you f-ing kidding me......Liquor Control board! After all the preaching about liquor being way more harmful an deadly, OR is about to hand them the key to your future. When will sheeple get it.......politicians an the gub'ment work for us. We have strayed so far from democracy.

Who does not want government weed?
What is wrong with you....it is legal.
Any kind is good as long as it is legal...RIGHT?????:biggrin:

monsoon

If you cannot read and cannot seem to follow the stated laws, then YES, you may go to jail.

Just like driving. You can go 100 in the 25, but you MAY get tossed in jail for doing so. The Public never said "25 is the new 100". They said "the limit is 25". (6 plants, not 99)
MOST folks understand this approach. Those who don't are gonna be disappointed with the new allowances coming down the wire.

Drug dealing, as we know it, behind-the-scenes/uncontrolled/unregulated/untaxed, isn't gonna be a part of the new "legal" mix and will never be sanctioned by any state.

"Legal", as with alcohol, is gonna have set limits. To think otherwise is unrealistic, at best.

the moonshiners wanted exactly what many growers want. Did it happen after "Prohibition" ended? Nope, it didn't. Same thing here, IMO. No new model, just the same old shit.

Jhhnn

Veteran
If you cannot read and cannot seem to follow the stated laws, then YES, you may go to jail.

Just like driving. You can go 100 in the 25, but you MAY get tossed in jail for doing so. The Public never said "25 is the new 100". They said "the limit is 25". (6 plants, not 99)
MOST folks understand this approach. Those who don't are gonna be disappointed with the new allowances coming down the wire.

Drug dealing, as we know it, behind-the-scenes/uncontrolled/unregulated/untaxed, isn't gonna be a part of the new "legal" mix and will never be sanctioned by any state.

"Legal", as with alcohol, is gonna have set limits. To think otherwise is unrealistic, at best.

the moonshiners wanted exactly what many growers want. Did it happen after "Prohibition" ended? Nope, it didn't. Same thing here, IMO. No new model, just the same old shit.

Meh. A great deal of what happened to moonshiners was an issue of economics & of consumer preference. I rather suspect that the price of booze dropped in no small way, even with taxes. Obviously, the big guys can make it a helluva lot more cheaply buying the raw materials by the trainload rather than by the bag.

Consumers obviously prefer brand name alcohol, as well, which they can buy OTC most everywhere in this country. The only places where moonshine persists are places where the mythos of the lost cause lingers. While smoking pot has always been a badge of the counter culture, so drinking moonshine has been to that other sub culture as well. Other than it being cheaper, if not by a helluva lot, there's no other reason to drink the nasty stuff over store bought liquor. It's flavorless, and as smooth as a string of barbed wire going down.

RoadRash

There is definitely a 'divide and conquer' attribute to the current (mostly Fed) drug laws, and the state implementation.

Imagine if you were a Christian, and the mere act of going to meet with another Christian was not only illegal, but the police get a federal grant for the arrest if they can find this small instance of fellowship.

Imagine if we couldn't drink a beer in a brew pub with other beer drinkers.

That is one of the ways Cannabis users are persecuted.

There is something about people joining together to smoke something therapeutic, or simply for fun, that appears to shiver their timbers.

Moonshine is underground, many who are not in the circle don't understand the beauty of making your own bliss in a bottle. I cant make enough moonshine to last (15-20 gallons) i don't sell it so i am not concerned about the law. It has its place like any other vice, but i assure you many people who are properly exposed to moonshine enjoy the buzz, it's alive and well in these parts and they are really gettin good at delivering a product that doesnt taste like barbwire....finally...just like beer and wine, all we need is proper thinking for laws that are reasonable. OLCC running cannibis is equivelant to Dept. Of fish and wildlife running Parks and Rec. Not reasonable or logical.. Bad planning Vote NO start over.

paper thorn

Veteran
People growing marijuana FOR PROFIT ! ... call a SWAT team ... they must have forgotten to dot an i or cross a t on that there paperwork ... /sarc

Yep, going down the road the other day and saw the cops in their bullet-proof flak jackets with "Narcotics Task Force' on them holding their machine guns. CSU vans coming down the road. OMG, a meth lab perhaps!? No, just an old couple with expired MMJ cards and a grow within 25 miles of a dispensary.

Jhhnn said:
Other than it being cheaper, if not by a helluva lot, there's no other reason to drink the nasty stuff over store bought liquor. It's flavorless, and as smooth as a string of barbed wire going down.

I had some moonshine, wow it's been about 30 years ago, that was so smooth. Totally fuck you up, went down so smooth, it was easy to drink way too much rotf.
But yeah, homegrowers are the new moonshiners.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Yep, going down the road the other day and saw the cops in their bullet-proof flak jackets with "Narcotics Task Force' on them holding their machine guns. CSU vans coming down the road. OMG, a meth lab perhaps!? No, just an old couple with expired MMJ cards and a grow within 25 miles of a dispensary.

AZ seems like a deeply, deeply conflicted place with an authoritarian mean streak. Not quite the same kind of ball breakers as OK or TX, but it's not for lack of trying.

This is going to be a nightmare if OR passes this. The OLCC runs the liquor in this stat with an iron fist. Now cannabis??? Let's hope not. I'm down for it being legal, but at what cost?? We just got legal dispensaries in this state ,let's go with that for a while before we give the power to the fucking OLCC. SL

This. OLCC is the biggest cartel in the state. I don't trust them for a second handling legal marijuana. It will be Washington all over again most likely.

I'm definitely voting no on this. I'm happy with the OMMP program as it is for now.

paper thorn

Veteran
^jhhnn~ assorted city cops are ok with it for the most part, but the sheriffs. a few of them have big old hard-ons for all things MMJ.

They think the dispensaries are buying cartel schwag so they can make more money, (rubbing their hands). Even though the accounting and video of the Cultivation Centers and inventory control is so tight. idiots. One county has even got former dispensary owner from Colorado running their MMJ task forces. (her fam still runs a big dispensary in CO.)

Last edited:
Lol. Ca has it the best. Want to smoke. Get your card for 50 bucks. There are over 420 qualifying conditions for it. Grow your 6/6. Don't want to smoke then don't worry about it.
This is all about the money and most of the smucks are falling for it.