What's new

OR tests microbial product claims and releases results

plantingplants

From the article:

" For the past three years, ODA has sampled end use products claiming to have these living organisms– whether they were found in bags of potting soil purchased at a garden center, taken off the shelf of a hydroponics store, or pulled from a 275 gallon container at a commercial fertilizer dealer."

“There are many steps along the way before it gets to the end user,” says Primbs. “There could be problems with the original batch, with the mixing of the product, maybe it wasn’t stored correctly. These are living organisms, so a lot of them won’t do well under high heat or without food for long periods of time.”

It's definitely important to understand these results in context. It's too bad they didn't mention which products were fresh and which were possibly older. At the very least, the results indicate either a lack of understanding or an apathy about keeping the organisms viable.

Muleskinner

Veteran
great thread!!! Thanks for bringing up the Oregon research.

As I suspected, Espoma kicked ass, registering double the stated volume of micro-biotics. Looks like "Dr. Earth" is good too.

IMO the best thing a cannabis grower can do is totally avoid all cannabis-industry products. Use what the rest of the horticultural world uses! Things like Promix and Fafard soil, Espoma nutes and lime, etc. Local organic soil and compost companies. You'll pay way less and get a better product.

I realized this a long time ago when simple honey worked better than "Clonex" on rooting clones. A lot cannabis/hydro products are absolute shit with toxic ingredients.

plantingplants

Yea, I realized that last year when I saw the price difference between Si supplements in hydro stores and AgSil. Also, it seems like you can trust that what the ag industry sells is what works because they don't have the profit margins to fuck around with snake oil. I'm sure it has its own problems too though.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
great thread!!! Thanks for bringing up the Oregon research.

As I suspected, Espoma kicked ass, registering double the stated volume of micro-biotics. Looks like "Dr. Earth" is good too.

IMO the best thing a cannabis grower can do is totally avoid all cannabis-industry products. Use what the rest of the horticultural world uses! Things like Promix and Fafard soil, Espoma nutes and lime, etc. Local organic soil and compost companies. You'll pay way less and get a better product.

I realized this a long time ago when simple honey worked better than "Clonex" on rooting clones. A lot cannabis/hydro products are absolute shit with toxic ingredients.

Do you know what the conversion is between colony forming units per gram and propagules per cc? If it is water then 1 CC = 1 g but I don't know the medium they were working with.