What's new

OR tests microbial product claims and releases results

MileHighGlass

Just FYI.....WA and OR both require heavy metals testing on all fertilizer products. This is not a unique requirement to DEM.

From what I can tell, they haven't been singled out or tested on any microbial claims, this is what the Dept. of Ag was looking at, not nutrient levels claimed vs actual. I don't even know if DEM products make microbial claims.

They are correct that much of what is in a product doesn't have to be on the label. Too much to explain here but a true statement. I know I had to fight to get all of my ingredients onto my label for the products we sell. If an ingredient doesn't contain NPK or another nutrient you are guaranteeing then it doesn't have to be on the label.

Lastly, I'm with DEM regarding OMRI. Not a good standard, they do allow some inorganic materials with their certification. They are just a group of people that got together and decided to make an independent certifying agency and start charging companies a portion of their profits to get their seal. WSDA or OR Tilth are much better certifications in my opinion. Or the CA one, which I'm working on right now, is crazy difficult in regards to restrictions and paperwork.

Is this tad? I think I just put 2 and 2 together. :)

plantingplants

There's a myco product coming out of the giant pumpkin arena that claims 300 spores per gram of g. intraradices and their most recent tests show it at 500-600 spores/gram. I'd list it but since I found out about it I added it to my product list at our farm and website and don't want to get accused of advertising.

There's this great pumpkin myco product that you listed on your website but you don't want to say what it is because that would be advertising? lol that's a little wormy.

http://wallacewow.com/products/wallace-organic-wonderwow-pumpkin-pro-mycorrhizal-inoculant

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Im positive there is a company in Oregon, maybe this one?? That tests nutrients for what they claim...

I couldn't find it on their website....

Does anyone know what this website is? Tried Google, but no luck...

EastBayGrower

Veteran
I second just going.back to using. The best auality castings /compost/frass and screw all the off the shelf.inmoculants...

Makes me wonder about all of them now.. Cause like 90% of.the tested ones are wayyy under what the label says...

I wonder why they all tested so low. I couldn't imagine all of these companies acting fraudulently. Bad storage maybe? How many samples were tested, how were they tested, etc? Did it die or was it never there to begin with? Lots of questions. Ogbiowar improved my roots for sure, and my friends use Mike o' rizae and great white which also make more, bigger, whiter roots. So there must be something in these products that works. Hmmmm...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bad storage is an issue. Have you ever seen a grow store with a fridge, let alone the freezer, that would be a necessity for the length of time the product typically sits in the warehouse/shop.

This is last years news by the by. I found a few that predate it since but my bookmark filing system spans three devices and one flash. It's a real pain in the ass tracking anything down.

But it's there if you have the time. I imagine there will be much more debunking as time goes on. I have a half written email to Chalker-Scott trying to convince her to rip through everything. That pile of bullshit goes deep. How many of these products contain a small hit of nutrients and chelators..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow i wonder what Cap has to say about this, THNKS ABUNCH!!! i wonder how accurate these tests are cause its VERY ALARMING, i spend Wayyyyy too much on beneficals to be buying useless crap... real eye opener! THANKS!!!

i reposted the finding on caps section on that other site to see how he responds, im curious to see if any quality control is done, ive spoken to overseas producer before and even they admit its hard to tell the actual concentrations of microbes, this is looking like a crap shoot and your better off going with a known working brand instead of the highest labelled concentrtion you can find, cause this study shows that its total BS, they could put down a million ga-jillion Baccilus spp. and it doesnt make a difference... sad to see cap fall to this level but we're all human i guess..

EDIT: didnt even take an hour for mods on the other site to delete my posts nd thread in Caps forum, shit is a joke, they said they deleted them because i should send cap a pm, but people should know this!!! spread the word!

This backs up what I've been saying for years. Most of these guys just repackage stuff they buy in bulk from Asia. If you want to buy a microbial inoculant look for the independent lab testing. The more reliable companies seem to be older ones catering to lawn care professionals but 'verify' - always.

If you want microbes, extract and grow them yourself - easy peasy.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
if I wanted any snake oil ,,I shure as hell would go catch one and extract it myself...do you think butane would work....??????? yeehaw so many suckers out there and shady companies...do your homework

This backs up what I've been saying for years. Most of these guys just repackage stuff they buy in bulk from Asia. If you want to buy a microbial inoculant look for the independent lab testing. The more reliable companies seem to be older ones catering to lawn care professionals but 'verify' - always.

If you want microbes, extract and grow them yourself - easy peasy.

Are there any products that you recommend for those that don't want to brew their own? Thanks very much.

Granger2

Veteran
ODA only tested for 3 species. They didn't say where they obtained them, if they were expired or what. If they were obtained from hydro stores, there's no telling how old they were and what conditions they were stored in.

You can say what you will, but I've tried every organic control for Root Aphids that I could find. Using OGBioWar Foliar and Root saved my ass. Haven't seen an RA for at least 2 years. That's all I use now. I don't brew it. Just mix and drench according to directions of Root and Foliar. OGBW, if fresh, is absolutely NOT bullshit.

The only RA measure I use is OGBW, but I also use a simple EWC ACT weekly. I use a variety of inoculants to make my teas. 3 different EWC's, Ancient forest, a good local compost, my 35 year old compost, etc. I use Earth Juice nute line, inoculated and brewed till the pH is where I want it. -granger

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Poor storage may have been a leading factor. If your source has high turnover that may be it right there.

Latest posts

Latest posts