What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Operating passive with jacketed columns

IQProspector

I want to swap over to passive recovery from my current active recovery.

Can I utilize jacketed columns, collection pot, and solvent tank to run passively? I have been told that running passively might slow things down, is this only in regards to how much I can run at once, or the time it takes to recovery the butane?

Thank you for your help.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I want to swap over to passive recovery from my current active recovery.

Can I utilize jacketed columns, collection pot, and solvent tank to run passively? I have been told that running passively might slow things down, is this only in regards to how much I can run at once, or the time it takes to recovery the butane?

Thank you for your help.

Passive works from temperature differential, so doesn't care how you heat or cool them, and jacketed pots and columns are a clean way to do so.

Recovery speed is less with most passive systems. There are ways to speed that up.

The surface area of the evaporator and condenser, as well as the delta temperature affect speed. Increase any of them or a combination to speed things up.

You will still need an evacuation vacuum pump for removing the atmosphere prior to extraction.

The fastest "passive" system that I've seen had huge heat exchangers operating at -15C at the condenser using a refrigeration plant, and without balancing out with heat on the evaporator, would pull about -10" Hg vacuum.

IQProspector

Would running Passively affect my saturation times due to solvent moving thriugh slower going through?

Would passive affect my ability to dewax?

Latest posts

Latest posts