What's new

Ongoing unhealthy root zone, soil mites... Fungus? Rot? Wtf? Need advice!

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Holdin' can you update this thread, hopefully you figured out the problem by now?
Hey moses, I completely forgot about this thread, thanks for reminding me.

With that being said, the only details I can provide as far as an update goes is I still can't pinpoint what the problem(s) were. I say were, because really now it seems as though things are back to normal. Plants in veg are growing at a normal rate, normal degree of transplant shock, etc etc. I don't think my problem had anything to do with my water supply, although around the time I was having these issues, I found out that our municipal water supply was continuously changing their source, from wells to local rivers, and now back to wells. That having anything to do with it, is doubtful.

Also, the H. Miles are no where to be seen, and those other < 1mm white/translucent mites seem to be gone as well. After the posting of this thread, I never drenched with anything pesticide related with intent on ridding them, as it was obvious the larger mites were harmless H. Miles, although I still don't know what the other ones were, though I don't think they were plant eaters.

THIS problem was never so much that I felt that I needed to shut down and reset, and my best guess was that perhaps there was some sort of root rot/pathogenic fungi/bacteria creating this problem... So basically what I did was go back to organic soil, recycled organic soil, at that. And let nature work out whatever the fuck the issue really was... I figure if it was root rot or some other form of rootzone pathogen, that the best thing I could do aside from shutdown and start over, was to amend and condition a ROLS through multiple runs, using things like neemcake, crab meal, very liberal amounts of EWC in the medium/top dressed, loads of beneficial fungi/bacteria via AACT's & OGB, as well as using aloe vera extract, fulvic/humic acid, as well as currently getting into sprouted barley tea for a natural blast of enzymes.

Currently I am on the 3rd or 4th recycling of two separate rotating ~1 yard batches of ROLS... In the middle of currently bringing down another very successful harvest, and have a beautiful group of plants in veg ready to rock.

:dunno:

I've had other issues along the way, like a near infiltration of broad mites, a couple suspected 'duds' in the last year+... But as a whole I currently am running an operation that is basically as problem-free as it gets.

medicalmj

Veteran
...using things like...as well as currently getting into sprouted barley tea for a natural blast of enzymes.
Yeah man I just got turned on to this method of making my own enzymes as a way to not get ripped off by that overpriced stuff at the grow store.

I used to be an avid home brewer so when someone mentioned SST (seed sprouted teas) I immediately got out some two row and made my own. While the person who turned me on was spending a lot more cash on the alfalfa and other seed sprouts, I figured the enzymes in malted barley are as potent and concentrated as they get.

The enzymes found in malted barley, β-amylase, α-amylase, β-glucanas, are what breaks down complex carb molecules into simple sugars. Sugars that are fermentable. It is this very fact that the malting is a precise science that demands the highest amount of these enzymes as possible during the process. Therefore I would assume if you want the most cost effective seed for enzymes, malted barley is the clear winner.

My question for you is, are how do the aforementioned enzymes compare with the overpriced bottled stuff at the grow store? Any idea how they produced their enzymes and what enzymes they include?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Yeah man I just got turned on to this method of making my own enzymes as a way to not get ripped off by that overpriced stuff at the grow store.

I used to be an avid home brewer so when someone mentioned SST (seed sprouted teas) I immediately got out some two row and made my own. While the person who turned me on was spending a lot more cash on the alfalfa and other seed sprouts, I figured the enzymes in malted barley are as potent and concentrated as they get.

The enzymes found in malted barley, β-amylase, α-amylase, β-glucanas, are what breaks down complex carb molecules into simple sugars. Sugars that are fermentable. It is this very fact that the malting is a precise science that demands the highest amount of these enzymes as possible during the process. Therefore I would assume if you want the most cost effective seed for enzymes, malted barley is the clear winner.

My question for you is, are how do the aforementioned enzymes compare with the overpriced bottled stuff at the grow store? Any idea how they produced their enzymes and what enzymes they include?

Right on... Yeah it was reading CC's posts, and then looking into the sprouted seed teas that turned me on to it. From what reading I did, it sounded like people have excellent results using all kinds of grain/seed, though barley seems to be the favorite, and I have easy and very inexpensive access to it.

As for your question, it sounds like you have a much better grasp on the science behind the SST's than I do, haha, but I will say that when I started using sprouted barely seed tea... It's given me noticeably better all-around plant health. Compared to growshop products, Hygrozyme being one that I used quite extensively, where I started to question the price/reward... Although that was during the time where I was having the phantom issues, a while back. So perhaps those "results" are skewed.

From the small bit of digging I've done, most companies that sell bottled enzymes for $30/liter or whateverthefuck have their "secret" recipes... though I think it's generally agreed upon that Hygrozyme is derived from barley. I also used a product called SLF-100 by a company called South Cascade Organics that markets the fact that their product is a different, unique sort of enzyme(s) that separates itself from other commercially produced and sold enzymes. Again, their formula is "proprietary" information, but a clear, odorless liquid that's indistinguishable from water that is obviously different from other products.

Long story short...

:dunno:

But SST's are where it's at, that's for sure :tiphat:

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I don't fully understand ALL of the science of barley SST, but it basically carries various (many) components that will indeed ultimately lead to less plant stress, a healthy immune system and rootzone, and an all around healthier plant. I'll find you some links when I have a minute.

Btw, look into getting some aloe vera extract if you haven't already, to incorporate aloe vera juice into your program. Various benefits and contains salicylic acid, which directly promotes a boost to the plants' immune system, healthy roots, and also aloe acts as a wetting agent as a bonus.

I have a feeling you're experiencing some issues moses...? Do share if so...

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes Holdin' I have issues the same as you describe in your first post but they are more severe. I also have h. miles showing up!

bigshrimp

Veteran
Hey holdin, I would be careful using any SST or sugar containing feeds in the rootzone. Your pathogens are still dormant in there and sugars can definitely upset the balance of soil easily. My opinion at least.

medicalmj

Veteran
Yes Holdin' I have issues the same as you describe in your first post but they are more severe. I also have h. miles showing up!
I'd bet at least a C-note it's not Hypoaspis miles but rather any number of soil mite that feeds on bacteria, fungus or decaying matter. Hypoaspis miles is a predator that doesn't just show up like the countless species of soil mites that will.

Something like great white, which I use, that contains many different species of beneficials will help keep your media in balance.

SST contains enzymes that break down organics, including stuff like dead roots, and make them available to the plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts