What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

G

Well i think i might have figured out what it was and when talking with Dr D in chat
im using citric acid powder for lowering PH. And now am using GH 3 part nutes.. And after checking PH one afternoon on a visit to the grow locale.. It had risen to 8.0
so i added citric acid and got to 5.8 left went back later that evening it was back up to 6.9 and i had much foam built up in the res.. Freaked a little bit and changed out the res. Cleaned everything new fresh ph'ed water then added nutes checked res next day ph was up over 7.0 so i brought it back down using citric acid.. Went back later at night foam once again, So i have stopped the citric acid and foam has since gone.. the 2nd foam up kinda made my roots a lil tannish color.. So im waiting to see if all is good or what.. Im going to get some liquid PH down and see how that works.. Ill let you know.. Hope this is the cure.. peace.. Hope i made sense. Cos im higher than jeff spicoli could ever be...lol.. :yoinks:

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
LQQK see.. All threads new updates on 11/01/05
Sack's Bubbledust Outdoor Grow
Sack's Cappuccino OD Grow
Sack's Limon OD Grow

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey mpro personally id probly have a rez on the two buckets then just top the other up by hand(or run a small rez for that one too) this would make it easier if you are running diff strains on diff schedules...also i feed diff amounts at diff stages of growth so running from the same rez would not work for me..

Know one lookin good mate, nice selection too il be interesed to see how your SIR comes out that is bred by the same peeps as Dankouver

Hey Mary good to hear things are goin well can u link me to your grow iv been missing it..i usually top up thru the net pot and just lift the lid to check..btw what plant did you get 7 o's from and how long did you veg her for that is a nice yield iv yet to grow a big plant in a bubbler to get a top yield llike that

Hey sacko mate higher than Jeff Spicolli huh? lol i think that ph down shud do the job for ya just fine

il get up some new pics of the SB clone this afternoon she has doubled in size and has a nice root system kickin off..il update with the particulars in a little while...peace :moon:

mpro

Thanks for the advice, Dr. D. The stealthness factor of this grow has been reduced a bit, so I might run two rez's. It's getting closer and closer to go time :) Currently I would like to scrog on the right side, and let the left side grow big. Of these four strains B-52, Cali-o, White rhino, and AK48. Are there any that stand out to work better for scrogs or to let it grow out. Will have about 5-5-1/2 feet of vertical space to let one of them grow into.

Thanks all for your input.

know_one

Dr. D said:
il be interesed to see how your SIR comes out that is bred by the same peeps as Dankouver
Hi there Dr. D,
I'm really looking forward to the SIR as well. A couple of spots aren't looking as healthy as I would like so I thought I'd take a pic to post.
ppm is about 800 and ph is 5.8. Using Flora Nova to flower. Couple of leafs are doing the canoe thing. Any suggestions are appreciated.

:chin:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey know-one im not sure what causes that, have you been using neem oil at all?
Heres the Sour Bubble clone doing nicely i took these pics aa couple of days ago she is just over two weeks in the bubbler now

She is sat quite far from the light im not sure wen im gonna get to flower her out so i dont want her gettin too big for now

root system is nice and healthy i havent used any root stim this time round and i can see the difference

temp is quite cool in the room..its cold outside now.
water temp is moderate..i cant find my thermometer so i cant read the water temp at the mo..il up datye latyer with ph and cf levels...peace

G

access holes

access holes

Mary said:
Everything is looking great. I love bubblers!

Have you thought of putting access holes in the top? I cut an access hole, for checking/adding water and daily solution checks. I also cut a couple of holes for my air lines. Makes the daily checks and even change outs real easy.

The plant I just harvested yielded over 7 z's. :D

a very cheap alternative to a bucket is to use plastic mop bucket ,,the strainer can be used instead of a net pot and then just cover the rest of the bucket with corex or plastic sheet for access to the nutes ,,,simplicity

marimbas

Ive been using this method for a while, but i had never used a reservoir, i have one hell of a HUGE bucket 35 galons or 45 i dont remember but its big!!! i use 5 buckets, how can i connect this to the others and make it work as a reservoir?? can someone please explain me this...

Guvnor

You have a controller buckets- pump inside pumping water/nutes to each of your buckets( this controller bucket can be connected to anohter main res- the controller bucket is kept topped up via a float valve and gravity.
The pump takes your nutes/water to each bucket-continually filling the buckets. The buckets in which your plants are situated, has a overflow which will stop the new water thats being pumped in the buckets from overfilling. The overflow pipe runs back to your controller bucket, to be recuirculated again.

Obv. you'd have a big air-pump running air-line and stones to each bucket-but thats a given.
This way you only have to dump your controller bucket or if you have one, your main res. thus saving alot of time dumping indivigual buckets. Get it??

Hope This help and All The Best

Guv'nor

know_one

SIR and TW update

SIR and TW update

Dr. D said:
Hey know-one im not sure what causes that, have you been using neem oil at all?
I haven't used any neem-oil on these plants. I changed the water and leached the root system for the SIR which helped. They're all looking pretty healthy now.
Here's SIR..

Here are a of pic of TW.
If allowed to grow straight up it would be over 5' .
I've trained to grow at a side angle.
This is day 37 of flower for SIR and TW.
You can see n pics that TW buds are covered in trichromes already.
The smell is mmmmmmm good!

Last edited:

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
Well after reading this thread in and out I have decided to switch to this system. :joint: I plan on doing 12 2 gallon black buckets. Check out these diffusers I found,

MICROPORESINGLE%2072%20dpi.gif

Im gonna put one of those in each bucket and have 3 of these pumps to get em bubblin. :woohoo:

O2MAX%2072%20dpi.jpg

If you want more info on these, http://www.deepwaterinnovations.com . Doc awesome thread mate, thanks again. :smile:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Know One your plants are lookin damn fine..thanks for posting.
Cal those pumps look like they kick ass they sell em at the hydro store i use and have em running on display..they look very powerful, i was thinkin of gettin one myself for when i do a multiple bucket run.
Heres the Sour Bubble now she has been veggin for some weeks now and pretty much runnin on plain water..i now have somewhere to flower her out so she will be on full steam ahead and is now recieving more light..it was gettin cramped in there but two large plants have been moved to free up space....

plenty of leads on her she has bushed out nicely

iv removed some lower branches and taken a few cuts too...heres the roots

see how white they are at the bottom the water level got low and i noticed if the roots are above the water line they ytake on that yellow colour...i also have some gnat larvae in the water so il be showing you how i get rid of the little fuggers..il update later with all the details ph, water temp, cf etc.

Dr. D

Veteran
Heres the vitals;
ph 6.0 i may drop it slightly lower yet
cf 15
I also added AN Sensi-zym @3 ml per litre
Still using the Vita-Link nutes..when i go into flower il be using the Top max bloom stim again, along with the Vita-Link bloom.
As to the gnat larvae i wasnt sure what to do about them so as i had the plant out of its pot to check the roots and spray her leaves with neem i halved the neem solution to spray some clones.
I decided to try giving the roots a soak in neem so i did..hopefully this will help kill them off..im gonna go wash offf the neem with some fresh water now so il have to wait and see what the outcome is....updates next week :joint:

fooldall

Stupid question, guys: In this system, when you first start your cutting in the bucket - you don't need to have a drip system of some kind feeding nute water from the top? If not, how does the cutting fare while reaching roots for the water?

Dr. D

Veteran
Hi fooldall, when the clone is first put into the net pot with hydroton the water level is up over the bottom of the net pot so the cut is supplied with ample oxygen and water...peace

GanjaJedi

Ok a light came on, I have a big fat rubbermaid tub with a lid, could I cut two holes in this lid far enough away and put two net pots in the lid and have them grow in the same bucket? A possibility I'd really like to know.

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey ganjajedi, i will be experimenting with that idea myself with my next grow with maybe 4 or more plants per container..iv heard people say that one plant over takes the other..but i think if they are the same clones and given the same airstone each then they should grow an even root system..il post up the containers and how many plants il be running in them within the next week with full details...peace