What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Harry thanks mate..iv been lookin at the super high power ones they have at the hydro shop i may invest in one of those with the 8 outlet, they kick out some serious air, i cud probly run 16 off it, but i dont want one if they are too noisy...il have a shop around..
yellowsnow ut setup looks good, have u got a controller bucket there..il be makin one my self soon...btw those net pots are huge..personally id keep the water level up to the bottom of the net pots constantly..and see how they go..
Bentito they are lookin very nice and healthy....
Bolan il have a shop around and check out some different pumps and see wots best for wot i want.....

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi D...on halfway which is plenty if only running one bucket per outlet...the noise auint too bad...but full blast its terrible... this one Ive got as i say will have no problem running 2 buckets per outlet... the other growshop has the blue Hailea ones,,not the ones bolan has but more square...they are all good pwerfull pumps and are just as noisy... Im deffo going to make a box for mine, ill have to be carefukl though as I cant block the intake on the bottom of the pump....
Hey Yellowsnow, those big net pot type lids r great...ive seen them before, but I cant find them over here in the UK....they come with one of the retail DWC systems though...... nice set up youve done BTW...pretty much what I am planning, ...is the controller just a simple ballcock(float valve) inside.
I had a mini DWC system desuign in my mind, and have some 6 litre pots that a 22CM net pot sits in the top perfectly just like a minature version of urs....the idea I have/had in mind, was for growing little high yielders(relativey speaking when comapred with a soil plant of the same veg time and such) similar to the bigger buckets, but miniaturised for spaces with height constarints or small closets...I think I will still make something like, I had a vison of shelf gadens like it too as it would be easy and cheap......
there I F'kin go again..... 1 more for the ever increasing stockpile of plans in my soon to burst brain..lol

Last edited:
G

Harry- Yep its just a float valve for the controller bucket and then another bucket on top. Here it is all finished and ready to grow!

Thanks again everyone for all the good info!

G

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey Sacko i usually run my ph around 6 in the bubbler..if its goin good at that i dont change it. I think the nutes you use can make a difference to wot ph is best...i find with my nutes they like it around 6...peace

G

rigth now im using bc products.. Cant afford yet to buy me 3 part GH nutes.. But i PH'ed at 5.8 last night after changing out res totally cleaned everything up and then
ph'ed h2o, then added my nutes.. 1200 ppm is what my res is reading.. So i think im good so far we will see.. this is my 1st DWC hydro.. I always use the plants in res and constant drip feed.. system.. a cheapy that worked for me so far.. So again im venturing out into unchartered territory.. Ok ill check back again great thread Dr.D thanx for sharing with us all peace..

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
LQQK see.. All threads new updates today 11/01/05
Sack's Bubbledust Outdoor Grow
Sack's Cappuccino OD Grow
Sack's Limon OD Grow

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

G

Ok Dr or anybody that has the knowledge
I have a DWC setup and just added the nutes for the 1st time.. And after closing the door its got really stinky in the area.. Almost like a wet towel stayed in there and got moldy.. But no towel.. Anyhow i opened the lid and it stunk to high heaven up in that res.. The nutes i used are from last winters grow.. Me being poor havent been able to get a new line of nutes.. So tonight i went to check on them.. And opened up the lid
and it stunk on top of that it had foam building up.. around my net pots and the edges of the bin.. brown/beige foam.. I went ahead and changed the water out cleaned everything up.. And will somehow get nutes soon.. Does anybody have an idea what this might be from? Or why its happening.. As for the setup its a 30 gallon bin with 2 plants.. I dont have any other holes in the bin like the tube thingy that sticks out of most hydro setups.. Might that have something to do with? Man i need some assistance here please someone chime in anyone that might know... Thanx and look foward to the help as yes im still a noobie at this.. And this is my 1st experience with DWC so help please..

sack o no~~~!!!

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Don't know anything about DWC but I sure hope you get it figured out Sacko. Good luck with the new set up.

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey sack what are the nutes you're using? sounds like an organic nute not designed for hydro..so u may need to change your nutes..and get your res flushed and cleaned out if you leave it, it could cause you some irreversable problems..peace

Yeah, the only time I had a problem like that is when I tried to go organic...ah, no. Big stinky, big PH flux. For a first time DWC I would say something easy Like GH 3 part.

Dr. D

Veteran
Ok, i got a Sour Bubble cut last weekend so i though she'd be perfect for the bubbler..shes been in there bout two days now and the pic is that old too

Vita-link nutes same as usual..ph was at 5.7 and cf is 10..shes handling that ok..il update weekly..peace

btw got lots more bubbles this time just using 2 small fishtank airstones til i find something i like the look of

Mary Mary

Hi sackoweed,

Guess I'm slacking because I just found your question. Of course, I agree with what has been said-it must be something in your nutrients. It's been several days, so I'm guessing you figured it out. What did you end up doing?

All the best,
Mary

mpro

Hello all, Dr. D, thanks for starting a great thread. Well the planning phase is almost done, with most of the expensive stuff purchased. 2 400hps cooltubes, and a 6" inline fan. Now I'm on to the design part of the actual dwc. I have two 3 foot long, by 2 foot deep and 6 foot tall 'sections' of an armoire, which has a support divider built in it, so I'm stuck with two sections. I'm thinking of running one 5gal on one side, and two 5gal's w/ scrog on the other side. This will only be used for flowering. Question, can I run only one res if the left side and right side are on different schedules? I can run them all at the same time, but would like the flexibility of having "2" rooms. I'm thinking I would run into problems when it came to flushing before harvest...

most of these questions I'm sure are just from never doin' an actual run. Once I'm experiencing it, I'm sure i'll be able to answer a lot of my own questions.

edit: Just went upstairs w/ a bucket to visualize and think. I guess we could run a valve to each bucket so It can be closed during the last 24h. to run water only.

thoughts?

know_one

New Pics

New Pics

It's been a while since I posted any pics.
This grow is looking good although I have the light too far from top of plants which has created stretching, especially with the TW.
I'll try an post once a week to show flowering progress. Thanks again Dr. D!

TW

Sister Isis Revenge

Lavender

AK-47 X Blue Widow

Can't wait! :woohoo:

vta

Veteran
Looking good Know One! Has your MK cured yet? Do you like this setup or the slabs?

take it easy

know_one

Hi there vta,
Yes, in fact the MK-ultra is curing right now. What I have sampled has a slower creeping effect rather than sudden kick I expected. Takes about 10 minutes to really get full effect.
The bubbler setup is great as far as creating very fast growth. A bit difficult for me due to having to use all bottled water.
With slabs, I use a ten gallon res that I keep topped off and make sure ppm and ph is in correct range. For me it's easier due to the hauling water thing.
I've mostely used RW slabs in the past and am switching to coco for next grow
Didn't mean to make this so long.
Peace! :wave:

vta

Veteran
If you goto coco amke sure to flush them good before you use them and a few times during the grow. Also when topping off your res you have a greater chance of salt build up and other issues...Peace

know_one

:wave: Thanks for info about coco vta.
I specifically asked about that at hydro store, and was told coco doesn't need pre-soaking. Thank goodness for the experience of those who really know!
Right now I'm recycling 2 RW slabs using cuttings to create mothers. I'll post pics of those soon.
Next full grow will be using coco (after soaking, lol).
Take care :wave:

Mary Mary

Everything is looking great. I love bubblers!

Have you thought of putting access holes in the top? I cut an access hole, for checking/adding water and daily solution checks. I also cut a couple of holes for my air lines. Makes the daily checks and even change outs real easy.

The plant I just harvested yielded over 7 z's. :D