What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

? on sticky oil vs crystally oil

W

Walter White

By resigning from this website and erasing every post I've made and never bothering with your narc-ass PoM ripoff website again. In this way you will learn the information I was prepared to disseminate.

jump117

Veteran
bubbles

bubbles

...And you think the tiny bubbles encased in hard oil are tane? Let's see if you can provide any type of logical, civil response. Because you are mistaken.

jump117...most sativas chopped a bit early will give you really light oil. It looks really cool, but not actually superior.

I'm sure this bubbles are tane, as big ones as tiny ones, what else it can be you think? Evaporated terpens? Why?
They are fireworking while smoking.
But all these bubbles are removeable by secondary redissolving in alco, it's fast and easy. Plz try it if you didn't yet.

Sleestak

Well, that wasn't a very resilient troll.

jump117, I'm sure (or should say believe) not all tiny bubbles are tane for a couple reasons. First off, I posted a pic in another thread of a lil dab of stinky ssh oil sitting on a pyrex full of bubbles. That was a dab put together from a buncha tiny lil shards that I put together ina pile on the pyrex. So a buncha shatter shards (bubbleless) melted together and as heat was applied, some of those tiny bubbles formed. Def not tane. Maybe could be air? but really stinky oil always seems to have some more bubbles around. my oil never lights on fire, which I have to think would be happening if it were full of tiny bubbles of tane.

Also, I believe it because HMK has said the same. don't think he's one to spread disinformation about oil.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
its ok if you are wrong jump, go ahead. i have proven they(many of the small bubbles in butane extract) are not butane gas to myself. if you cannot prove it either way, well then too bad for you. if you finally give up trying to find proof, i will provide you with a couple simple tests you can do that will prove it to you.

~(';")~

jump117

Veteran
bubbles & carbon

bubbles & carbon

Hey Hashmasta-Kut, I didn't give up trying to find any proof further to fireworking, 'cos I didn't even start it.
I see no reason to keep anything unwanted or useless in extract when I can remove it in easy way for the sake of best quality.
If the tiny bubbles consist of air or evaporated terpens or anything else unknown I don't like them anyway, they're useless imo.
I'd keep bubbles if they consist of thc but it's not true.
Nevertheless I'd be very pleased if you provide me with a couple simple tests. I love to study.

In my technique I always dissolve bho from evaporating bowl then filter solution and then evaporate and collect clear extract without bubbles.
Last time I added activated carbon into secondary solution and it seems to me working good, although I didn't believe in carbon before Leocadius from cannabiscafe (Spain) proved the reason of carbon using with his very best extracts.

btw what do you think about activated carbon, does it catch thc along with unwanteds or not?

And, when I say I'm not a believer that doesn't mean I don't believe yOu.
I do respect you and twice in my posts even called you 'the Giant'.

jump

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is BHO made from Bud. The dark pile is just cocked a bit longer the the other pile. After heating to release all Butane let it cool it wil be hard.

picture.php

G.O. Joe

Veteran
In an old decarboxylation study, a hexane extract was heated with activated carbon for 10 minutes; the cannabinoids were strongly adsorbed and could not be removed at all by heating or with solvents.

It is reasonable to assume that there is both a little dissolved butane (or whatever solvent), and some plant-derived low boiler vaporizing. But for gas released on heating carbon dioxide comes to mind first, and this would be easier to test for than an organic, if you had enough.

But I have no experience yet even with obtaining a solid by extraction of weed. I have some urine colored trim qwiso that I want to do some geeky experiments with, and a rotovap, etc., there will be an attempt to find out some things of interest, or at least how lame my own product is, soon.

chicalyx

jump,, if they are tiny terpene bubbles, wouldn't think you'd wanna get rid of em. My favorite part about BHO is how nicely it retains the taste from starting material.

you definitely don't need to use carbon or redissolve the oil to get it completely free of bubbles. hot purge n heat from the top will melt it enough to get em all out/pop em...unless you're using some SUPER stinky material, the tiny bubbles seem to hang around more.

cthulhu

sticky oil is better, the grit/crystals in oil are usually contaminants like small bits of plant matter. the sticky is the THC, so generally the stickier the oil is the more potent it will be.

most of the crystallized pics you see in this forum are of either dry sieve (kief) or bubble hash, not oil.

Sleestak

^^nah, most high quality/potent oil is glasslike at cool room temp.

Not always the case though...some super stinky lemon and skunk strains are difficult to harden up completely, but those are the exceptions not the rule.

One thing I'll say for sure is that consistency is not an indicator of potency, and stickiness definitely cannot be correlated with potent oil.

jump117

Veteran
Hey chicalyx, my bubbleless amber smells good but it is not my favourite part of a stoned trix resin.
Dry sift retains the taste much better if you want to enjoy a bouquet.
Imo extracted resin is like ethanol in vine, it's a psychoactive component but is not a main source of taste and aroma.

Carbon filtering is not so obviously negative action as it seems at first sight and it's not out of topic.
I've reduced sticky effect of a sample with redissolving in ethanol, mix with crumbled activated carbon, filter and evaporate.

jump

cthulhu

^^nah, most high quality/potent oil is glasslike at cool room temp.

Not always the case though...some super stinky lemon and skunk strains are difficult to harden up completely, but those are the exceptions not the rule.

One thing I'll say for sure is that consistency is not an indicator of potency, and stickiness definitely cannot be correlated with potent oil.

there is no "rule" to oil consistency, this factor depends on the method used and the type of plant matter used (whether it is buds, leaves, dry, wet, ground, frozen, etc). one thing is for certain is that some methods produce cleaner results, and regardless of method purity can be heavily influenced by the type of plant matter used.

dirty oil will harden almost completely - this is caused by resin soaking and binding with contaminants. cleaner oil will harden but never completely, this is mainly because the resin cannot soak and bind with contaminant.

if there is any rule to making hash and oil, it is that the cleaner the result the more potent it will be.

it is a known fact that THC itself is a translucent substance with a sticky consistency. this fact does not change by strain, all cannabis strains are producing the same substance that is THC. some strains may produce more than others, some strains produce larger and different shaped trichomes, etc. this is all irrelevant to the fact that all strains produce THC, and that THC will always be a translucent substance with a sticky consistency.

establishing that fact, it would lead one to believe that the stickier the oil, the higher the THC concentration it has, and thus the higher the THC concentration, the more potent the oil will be. this conforms perfectly to the rule - the cleaner the result, the more potent it will be (THC concentration degrades with contaminant content).

I will repeat, the sticky is the THC. :joint:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have made a lot of iso oil from kief and I am a firm believer that if you do a quick wash with a high quality starting material you will end up with something of high quality in return. I would make kief from sugar leaves then do a 10-15 second wash of the kief then evaporate. The oil would be heated outside on an electric hot plate with a pot of boiling or just simmering water. When it was done I would wait just a little bit with the pyrex dish over the hot plate on high (about one to two feet above it) just to make sure I was getting the alcohol off. If you smell any sugary type of shit or lemon etc let it cool off, it shouldn't get to that point but can easily if you over do it. I find that putting in the freezer never did a whole lot for me but letting it air dry for a week in a cool dark place did. When I would scrape it up it would always be rock hard and flake all over my hands making it impossible to get for for a few days, but my hands smelled great :D Sometimes it would be rockhard when done and then to cool it would just turn into a hashy kind of substance but if you leave it in your hands too long it would sick like oil. The worst part is if you leave it too long on the heat it will be a dark brown and look black when finished. When smoking it I find it has a terrible harshness on the throat which I didn't care for, I don't really care for iso oil but it's easy and cheap, just takes time.

Sleestak

cthulhu...if you think completely hard ('shatter') oil is somehow impure, you're just flat wrong. all oil will soften/sticky at warm temps, but for the most part, the good stuff is rockhard to cool room temp.

I never said there was a rule as to consistency, and as already stated, not all primo oil will be hard or brittle.....but most is.

Also, I don't even really know what you mean by 'impure' oil. I don't think a coffee filter is letting any contaminants through.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
'cos I didn't even start it.
I see no reason to keep anything unwanted or useless in extract when I can remove it in easy way for the sake of best quality.
If the tiny bubbles consist of air or evaporated terpens or anything else unknown I don't like them anyway, they're useless imo.
I'd keep bubbles if they consist of thc but it's not true.

you dont think terpenes are important? maybe you should check out what god (skunkman sam) has to say on that topic. he did the research on terpenes and thc, and he stated flat out that thc without terpenes was very mediocre. thc is the activating compound, but the type and quality of high is effected hugely by the terpenophenolic content of the sample ingested.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would agree

cthulhu...if you think completely hard ('shatter') oil is somehow impure, you're just flat wrong. all oil will soften/sticky at warm temps, but for the most part, the good stuff is rockhard to cool room temp.

I never said there was a rule as to consistency, and as already stated, not all primo oil will be hard or brittle.....but most is.

Also, I don't even really know what you mean by 'impure' oil. I don't think a coffee filter is letting any contaminants through.

jump117

Veteran
terpens are psychoative?

terpens are psychoative?

I do respect Sam Scunkman ofcouse he is a man of great services, one of the Giants.
Especially his secret 99,9... dry sift is very impressive and his old photos too.
I think he is not fond of oils but go natural non-chemical ways.
But he is not the only one person who studied the subject and I also do respect other scientists who had explored properties of cannabis psychoactivity.

Does he really declared that terpens are psychoative?
Or I got anyting wrong?

I agree with those who say about two sides of evolution process - to explore (male) and to keep (female).
Males want to find new ways and to change the world to better,
females want to keep status quo and to repeat previous good experience without any changes for the sake of safe and stability,
picture.php

and more often refers to any of gods scriptures as a good argument,
being a prisoners of dogma.
Both sides are necessary and always are in permanent collision.

If I don't know the way to change runny oil into stoned resin but i'd like to find it what I supposed to do?
Should I wait until any of gods tell me the secret? Excuse me but this is not my way, I'm male, not a straight repeater.

jump

Limeygreen

Veteran
I think that you could say that terpenes are co-psychoactive. They affect the type of expeirence the consumer has. If you want to test it out for yourself then you should conduct an experiment. make some oil they way you like to, make some waterhash, if no bags try the sadu sam method and finally make some dry sieve, if no screens use some panty hose to clean it up and go to an art supply store for a screen or two to really clean it up. Sample and rate, if you can really clean up the dry sift I'll be willing to bet it will be your favorite.