What's new

Oldtimer's Haze

BoldAsLove

Veteran
A closeup of #10

picture.php

BoldAsLove

Veteran
The last two males are now dropping pollen.

#14 - Average vigor, medium internodes, above average branching, small flower clusters, mostly green, average stem thickness, fourth to form flowers, light feeder

picture.php
picture.php

#6 - Above average vigor, medium internodes, highest branching male, heaviest purple coloring (perhaps a bit more on the reddish/violet side), medium flower clusters, above average stem thickness, slowest male to form flowers, light feeder, shows the most resin with the most common sightings of capitate stalked trichomes under x30 magnification, strongest smelling stem rubs come from this one

picture.php
picture.php

:ying:

R

recent guest

Did that purpling show up with regular temperatures? I have a similar seed run set up right now, one male and all the females (6) from a 10 pack. However, inside the grow tent is a constant 75-85 degrees F, with nighttime temps of about 65, no purple whatsoever in any individual, I am disappointed how difficult it has been for me to find the purple in this line. My male is now looking like he is a blonde/green pheno, and all my females look to be as well. Either the purpling is more of a reaction to temperature than I imagined or Im just having bad luck.

In the greenhouse, green phenos:

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:
R

recent guest

Dried bud from the indoor run, flower began December 1st and continued until a May 25th - June 3rd harvest :plant grow:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Did that purpling show up with regular temperatures?

Hey BR,

Yes, it was with high temperatures. Lights on around 85 F and lights off around 78 F. I'm not sure why, but my setup seems to bring out colors rather easily. My two best guesses are the extra UV I add, or the extra far-red light the LEDs have built in.

Those flowers look nice! I'd like to hear your thoughts too :)

R

recent guest

Hey BR,

Yes, it was with high temperatures. Lights on around 85 F and lights off around 78 F. I'm not sure why, but my setup seems to bring out colors rather easily. My two best guesses are the extra UV I add, or the extra far-red light the LEDs have built in.

Those flowers look nice! I'd like to hear your thoughts too :)

Thanks! The lighting might have something to do with it, Im not sure. My indoor setup is just designed to get plants to flower, not for maximization of quality or quantity, so that might be why I don't see too much color. My Pakistan Chitral Kush x (Destroyer x Chocolope) is purpling, though, she is being crossed with Haze.

^^almost 26 weeks... you got some patience. :D I know its too early to tell without proper curing but anyway does it worth it, Bear?

Without a proper cure it would seem that it is not worth it. In other threads I have mentioned that this particular individual (not the strain) has too balanced of an effect and too heavy a come-down to justify such flowering time. However, the last week has lead me to rethink that. After a month of curing the high much more closely in line with what you would expect from such a sativa. Edibles made from this individual have a decent body effect but are quite psychedelic. Smoking the flowers is appropriate any time of the day and, as the breeders suggest, there is no limit to the effect. A moderate amount and you can carry on any activity, but it is easy to go past that and feel like you need to wait a few hours before operating machinery or engaging people socially. Very red eyes for me.

-

I have a question for the breeders et all: When producing pure haze seed, should I wait until the plants have finished the entire flowering process, 18-24 weeks, or will the calyxes that have been pollenated now (enough for 50-100 seeds per plant) develop their seeds sooner and be ready to harvest before you would cut for sensemilla buds?

Also, can the breeders or anyone with seed production experience explain their methods of separating and saving the seed? Once seeded buds are harvested, are they broken up by hand, and how do you get the seed separated from the other plant matter?

seperating chaff from seed is such a painstaking process. there is many ways to do it by hand, but the best way is with the machines. iv seen some that blow all the chaff up an upside down U shape tube and over to the other side, while gravity keeps the seed on one side

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Greetings BoldAsLove,

I'm glad to see you are having different oldtimer's haze expressions in your pack, you will be able to experience and preserve the diversity of the line, and work further the expressions that you like more. It develops the terpenes mainly in the last third part of flowering, and they are quite subtle: mainly spicy, woody and incensey, some a bit citric and the purple ones with red wine/black liquor and black forest fruit tones.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have a question for the breeders et all: When producing pure haze seed, should I wait until the plants have finished the entire flowering process, 18-24 weeks, or will the calyxes that have been pollenated now (enough for 50-100 seeds per plant) develop their seeds sooner and be ready to harvest before you would cut for sensemilla buds?

Also, can the breeders or anyone with seed production experience explain their methods of separating and saving the seed? Once seeded buds are harvested, are they broken up by hand, and how do you get the seed separated from the other plant matter?

What a beautiful haze in the greenhouse Bear_Riot :)

Purple Hazes from oldtimer's line shows the colors mainly at mid flowering and onwards. The lower temperatures of November and December certainly produce a deeper pigmentation (like with any other purple cannabis strain). You should be able to distinguish the colorful phenos in late October.

Haze has a long flowering time and it takes easily 10 weeks to fully mature the seeds since the moment it was pollinated. If your haze was pollinated very early and only a bit, then the seeds will be ready before the end of flowering, if the plant is fully seeded (pollinated early and in mid flowering) then you will need to wait till the end of flowering and maybe overmature the plant a bit to harvest the higher number of mature seeds possible.

Once the plant is harvested and dried, you can break up the seeded flowers and then separate the seeds by gravity (sloped surface). Let the seeds dry up inside an open bowl (placed in a dark and well ventilated place) for 6 weeks, and finally put the seeds in a hermetic bag with silica gel and place the bag inside the fridge to conserve the seeds for the upcoming years.

Last edited:
R

recent guest

question: would Oldtimers Haze be considered an Heirloom variety?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_plant

read the breeders description and that wiki article...

Oldtimer's Haze definitely qualifies in my book since the genetics have been maintained in more or less that form since the '70's...forty + years

not to mention that bit about heirloom varieties being generally unsuited to mass agricultural production, a category which the Haze firmly occupies.

thanks for the link. i thought it would be but hadnt seen anyone mention it. watching urs and a few others grows get me excited, i cant wait to give the few beans i have of these OTH a go but im not getting ahead of myself just yet. still very new to the long flowering sativa's

Ranger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_plant

read the breeders description and that wiki article...

Oldtimer's Haze definitely qualifies in my book since the genetics have been maintained in more or less that form since the '70's...forty + years

not to mention that bit about heirloom varieties being generally unsuited to mass agricultural production, a category which the Haze firmly occupies.

looks like the grow turned out well for you BR, real nice plants in the pics, including the veggies.

yeah i agree on the heirloom status, 30-40 years back is about as heirloom as you can hope for in cannabis seeds these days and ACE has some fine ones.

i finished my Purple Haze this past winter and the smoke was nice. i am currently doing a grow from ACE's Mazar they offered a few years back and really liking the phenos i'm getting.

i also did a grow of their Pakistani Chitral kush a few years ago, aside from being prone to mold issues it was a good grow with most phenos exhibiting a maroon color and several high CBD phenos with it as well.

i love heirloom and or landrace variety's and in fact that's all i grow these days.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
question: would Oldtimers Haze be considered an Heirloom variety?

I think so Cannabliss420 :) It's a very ancient tropical sativa hybrid from the 70s, i don't think you can find many untouched lines from the 70s nowadays.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Ranger,

I'm glad to know you have had good experiences with our seeds. Knowing your preferences i would also recommend you Malawi and China Yunnan. Panama and Tikal are more tamed type of landrace hybrids but also very interesting.

R

recent guest

Here is a smoke report I put together a couple of days ago...

IDENTIFICATION
============================== ===================

Date: 7-24-14
Strain: Oldtimer's Haze (Green Phenotype)
Judge: Bear_Riot
Breeder: Ace Seeds
Grower: Bear_Riot

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

1. Visual Appeal: Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent.
- Compared to modern hybrids, these flowers look like shwaggity-ann. However, they are so unique and old school that I like them as much as a frosty chunk. For me, 8, most would say 2-3

2. Visible Trichomes: Rate the visible trichome content from 1-10 none-totally covered. 4

3. Use an X to indicate the colors that are present in the trichome heads under magnification or list the percentages of each color for a more precise report.

Clear [ ] Cloudy [x] Amber [x] Dark [ ]

4. Mark with X the colors that are present in the buds or for a more detailed color analysis rate presence on a scale 1-9 light-dark.

Brown [x] Green [x] Gold [x] Blue [ ] Grey [ ] White [x] Red [ ]
Rust [x] Orange [ ] Purple [ ] Black [ ]

5. Bud density: [1] Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense. For samples that are not in their natural state leave this field blank.

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence.
Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Earthy [3] Peach [4] Berry [2] Floral [7] Mango [3]
Melon [2] Spice [8] Nutmeg [5] Vanilla [10]

7. Aroma [9] Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results.
-Cured up, this bud smells divine. Really profound and delicate smells, mainly vanilla with a fruity dominance and a woody background. Ancient, deep smells.

8. Seed content [0] Rate seed content from 0-10 none-fully seeded.

9. Weeks cured [8] If known enter the number of weeks your sample has been cured. If desired repeat SSR after an additional two weeks of curing.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION COMMENTS: Im sure a seasoned, veteran smoker from the early days would recognize this as something special, most younger people would dismiss it as shwag until they smoked it.
============================== ====================
THE SMOKE TEST

Address these questions while smoking.

1. Please use a clean instrument for the evaluation. Enter information below that will identify the instrument as follows:

Joint (enter brand of papers) [RAW 78 mm]

2. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence.
Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Earthy [3] Floral [5]
Mango [4] Chocolate [5] Spice [8] Nutmeg [6] Vanilla [7]

If appropriate return to this question after 5-10 minutes and mark
with X any unmarked descriptors for lingering aftertaste.

3. Taste [10] Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.
-A real joy to the palette. As Raco once said of this strain, "When you taste it, you just KNOW."

4. State of dryness [5] Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.
-This particular cure is going very well.

5. Smoke ability [7] Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.
-The end of the joint induces coughing but the first 3/4 are smooth as silk.

6. Smoke expansion [2] Rate how the smoke expands in the lungs from 1-10 stable-explodes.

SMOKE TEST COMMENTS:

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS
Address final questions immediately after effects have worn off.

1. Dosage [One 78mm Joint is enough to induce a great effect] Enter the number of hits taken to reach desired effects.

2. Effect onset [4] Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.
-Friends say they feel this strain immediately, I find it takes me until half way through the joint. By the time I am 3/4 of the way through, I feel like I am leaning backwards into a waterfall of time.

3. Sativa influence [9] Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Sativa influence is best described as a clear and energetic mental effect.

-This is as sativa as it gets. Very different from Ace Panama from the same grow, really unique among the varieties I have tested. There is body effect in this specimen, but it is a euphoria and not lethargic at all.

4. Indica influence [0] Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica influence is best described as a sedative,
lethargic or numbing effect that affects the body.

- Go to work, work out, hike, explore, ride a bike, look intently at small insects, do frivolous chores...I almost can't stay on the couch. Im itching to get outside now.

5. Potency [7-8] Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.
- Second strongest in this grow, third strongest weed I have currently. (Less potent than Panama and Diesel, still I reach for a jar of this almost every time).

6. Duration [3] Indicate the number of hours the effects lasted.
- Slightly above average duration, very easy to get back to where you started with another few hits.

7. Tolerance build up [---] Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid. Leave this field blank if you have not used this sample repeatedly.
-zip zero no nada

8. Usability [ ] Rate on a scale of 1-9 where a one indicates the worst time of day to consume this strain and a nine represents the ideal time of day.
Leave field(s) blank if you have not yet formed an opinion.

Morning - wake up [9] Day - work [9] Evening - relax [8] Night - sleep [5]
- no trouble sleeping...it substitutes or compliments morning coffee.

9. Overall satisfaction [9] Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail.
- Im looking for a more cerebral pheno, but im not complaining about this one.

10.Ability and conditions [8] Rate your overall ability to judge from 1-10 low-high. Consider experience, strain familiarity, atmosphere,
current tolerance and most importantly the condition and preparation of the sample.

11.Judging from the sample alone do you personally consider this
strain a keeper for long term use. Yes [x] No [ ]

Latest posts

Latest posts