What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oldtimer's Haze

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hola @dubi I was wondering if there was anything you could offer on very slow to sex OTH males, that take forever to flower, and stay manageable in height and structure, not being determined to stretch out the top of the tent and ceiling?

View attachment 18914128
The Bubblegum/Cotton Candy pheno of Zenith trying to reveg next to the male

View attachment 18914132 View attachment 18914133

What an elegant long flowering OTH male you have there @Keif Cake :) Like in any cannabis strain, Oldtimer's Haze males flower faster and earlier than females, although very long flowering males can be found. When we first started to work with Oldtimer's Haze, we found very high yielding males, and others very skiny, low yielding and long flowering males, always used both in reproductions to make sure nothing is lost for future generations.

Not sure about the photoperiod he is under, but you can speed flowering switching to 10/14.
And please Haze the Zenith with that male! ;)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Interesting, I had a phenotype in my cross with OTH that had a rusty nail aroma.

Unrelated to weed but someone once compared the taste of this Mad Dog 357 hot sauce to a rusty nail, while this is their perception of it, the ingredient that is at the root of this is Cinnamon.

There are a few strains marketed as 'Cinnamon' I think with a slightly acidic top note you can get something metallic.

First time i grew Oldtimer's Haze i felt that flowers from many females had a metallic and burnt keratin smell, i though perhaps they accumulated too much nutrients, but when i grew the strain for a few years i realized is related to both: feeding and genetics. When Tom Hill put emphasis to describe his Haze line i said to myself: you nailed it!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
View attachment 18720012

Nice big medusa ot haze, the only female to survive from 7 seeds (don't ask). I've got cuts of 2 boys in the fridge to get rooted out and she's been dusted with their pollen, although I'm not sure it took. Think I left it too long after collecting. The boys I'm keeping for a big repro next year with the new pack I bought when they were released again recently.

Love this strain and really hoping I can preserve it as seed and in crosses for a long time to come.

How did you indoor OTH finish @JockBudman ? Hope you finally made good use of the female and males!
Thanks for your support and interest in this tropical.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I’ve had my fingers on this girl a bit more since she’s been hanging. You can tell this is from some of the old OTH selections and not necessarily what the newer representations of OTH stock might be going for. She is rather rude aroma wise. Cilantro/soapy, oily metallic and a good whiff of arm pit from a Dead Head on a hot day when she thinks that crystal rubbed around it is somehow working. No tropical fruit / green apple at all. Maybe it’s somewhere to be found in the cure, but it’s definitely being short circuited by all the other funk.

Im curious if dubi remembers those rude aromas and if we could figure out if it came from one of the original plants that were grown out. Damn, dubi. Can’t believe I’ve been growing this OTH and it’s incarnations for nearly 15 years.

It's very touching for me to realize how much passion, time and effort you have put into Oldtimer's Haze all these years @Ur Humbl Nr8tor :smoke: it's a joy to see your Golden and Purple Hazes finishing by Xmas time every year. Is this year first time you grow Tom Hill Haze ? I'm curious to know your opinion )when you are more familiarized with THH), which do you prefer: Sam's Original Haze, Oldtimer's Haze or Tom Hill Haze ?

dubi seems to think these selections were from around 12 years ago. This one (seeds) came to me labeled short and fast and they had been in my fridge the entire time. I will likely try to sprout the ones that were sent the same time labeled tall and long. Likely will extend this seasons grow into later part of January 2024.

That was an open pollination of Green Oldtimer Hazes i did in 2009 to make a reservoir of diverse and vigorous Green Haze earliest genepool, to avoid in the future too much inbreeding in the line in case things get ugly after a few generations.

Coming back to your first question again, yes there were weird terpene profiles to be found in some of the first OTH we grew, some had flowers that even smelled like veggie. But i selected my favorites ones (Green and Purple) for potency, quality of effects and best incensey terpenes, for the OTH hybrids too.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
It's very touching for me to realize how much passion, time and effort you have put into Oldtimer's Haze all these years @Ur Humbl Nr8tor :smoke: it's a joy to see your Golden and Purple Hazes finishing by Xmas time every year. Is this year first time you grow Tom Hill Haze ? I'm curious to know your opinion )when you are more familiarized with THH), which do you prefer: Sam's Original Haze, Oldtimer's Haze or Tom Hill Haze ?

That was an open pollination of Green Oldtimer Hazes i did in 2009 to make a reservoir of diverse and vigorous Green Haze earliest genepool, to avoid in the future too much inbreeding in the line in case things get ugly after a few generations.

Coming back to your first question again, yes there were weird terpene profiles to be found in some of the first OTH we grew, some had flowers that even smelled like veggie. But i selected my favorites ones (Green and Purple) for potency, quality of effects and best incensey terpenes, for the OTH hybrids too.
Yes, dubi. I was fortunate to get involved growing the OTH in the earliest days of Ace’s release. It’s always a joy to grow in pure form and hybrids. I plan to grow some more pure OTH again next season as it feels strange to have all the outdoor plants chopped down before Christmas.

I have grown a few hazes (THH) prior to this year. I had bought a few packs 10+ years ago. It’s been a while, so let me try the new plants this year and I will share my opinions on effects and how they compare to OTH. I have seeds from his recent OP and will be exploring further in 2025. I have some limited experience with Sam’s original haze gear. Most recently from the ICMag OP that was done by flower~power. There is a very unique aroma that was selected in those seeds. It is exactly like grains of paradise if you are familiar with the aroma. Effects very similar to a good green OTH. Very caffeinated, energizing…brain swimming in many thoughts. Electric. I’ve grown Haze x NL and that is a very different experience. Strong but muddy with a heavy comedown.

I am a huge fan of the OTH in general and plan to keep growing it in some ways each season. I hope to have many more of those in good health 😆. Thanks for making the genetics available to a broader audience. I enjoy seeing others growing them successfully almost as much as I enjoy growing them myself.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
First time i grew Oldtimer's Haze i felt that flowers from many females had a metallic and burnt keratin smell, i though perhaps they accumulated too much nutrients, but when i grew the strain for a few years i realized is related to both: feeding and genetics. When Tom Hill put emphasis to describe his Haze line i said to myself: you nailed it!
Yes, the ‘metal shop’…blood (iron) or burnt hair aromas are very present in the OTH and in Tom Hill pure and hybrid hazes. That is why I suspect similarities in the genetics linking back to original Santa Cruz (Sam’s) haze. It’s been noted that OTH is separate from the haze in Santa Cruz that found its way to Amsterdam and Nevil, but the similarities in growth, flowering times, aromas and effects can’t be complete coincidence.

shiva82

a tester cola of paradise cheese x oldtimer haze male [ green pheno] @12 .5weeks]every hybrid i have tested so far from my pollen chucking has produced oldtimer dominant plants. i get the metallic notes, and generic vitamin jar aromas mainly from the oldtimer male i used , and this tester plant has that profile and an addedhint of aniseed from lucs cheese ibl. she could go 14 weeks easily. large window . i like to stagger harvest the oldtimer hybrids .

great work with the oldtimer . amazing parental stock imo

Attachments

• IMG_9922.JPG
    IMG_9922.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 168

OntologicalTurn

impressive trees @OntologicalTurn :D Looks like they are psassing mid flowering. How many different females have you going there ? Would love to hear you insights about each female.
Hi Dubi, i have only 2 girls there, the one vertical and the one fallen, both of them of similar heigh (before fallen). between them i had one male, aswell same height who was cut after slightly pollinate the girls in preflower

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
a tester cola of paradise cheese x oldtimer haze male [ green pheno] @12 .5weeks]every hybrid i have tested so far from my pollen chucking has produced oldtimer dominant plants. i get the metallic notes, and generic vitamin jar aromas mainly from the oldtimer male i used , and this tester plant has that profile and an addedhint of aniseed from lucs cheese ibl. she could go 14 weeks easily. large window . i like to stagger harvest the oldtimer hybrids .

You used the OTH as a pollen donor (male)? Cross looks 🔥

troutman

Seed Whore
Yes, dubi. I was fortunate to get involved growing the OTH in the earliest days of Ace’s release.

I grew some recently from 2008 packs. Use 3 females for making a hybrid with Sour Tangie.

Here's 1 of those 3 females from the old stock.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
View attachment 18925984 View attachment 18925985 View attachment 18925986 View attachment 18925984 I grew some recently from 2008 packs. Use 3 females for making a hybrid with Sour Tangie.

Here's 1 of those 3 females from the old stock.

Yeah, I finished my pack of 3F x 6M from that first years release a couple summers ago. I crossed the last male and female and have a shit load of seeds from that pairing. Here’s the female that I’ve shared on here before.

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg
IMG_1909.jpeg
IMG_1997.jpeg
IMG_2009.jpeg

Last edited:

JockBudman

How did you indoor OTH finish @JockBudman ? Hope you finally made good use of the female and males!
Thanks for your support and interest in this tropical.
As far as I remember it was excellent as usual, although unfortunately long gone up in vapour. The males sadly didn't take and the clones rotted. I've got more seed though, I'm just trying to work out when I can run a full pack

OntologicalTurn

As far as I remember it was excellent as usual, although unfortunately long gone up in vapour. The males sadly didn't take and the clones rotted. I've got more seed though, I'm just trying to work out when I can run a full pack
I had the same problemvtrying to clone Oldtimers Haze, seems like is more dificult to clone than most varities, compared with something like new Caledonia where You can cut a branch in late flowering and rooted in 2 days, i had tried with dozens of cuts and so far just one Made it.

OntologicalTurn

need4weed

Veteran
@shiva82 what did you think of the cheese? I see they've stopped selling it now

shiva82

@shiva82 what did you think of the cheese? I see they've stopped selling it now
i enjoy it . got her flowering at 6 weeks. she is a 9 week force flowered plant from clone. not all phenotypes were cheese like in taste or aroma . but more were than were not. not the biggest yield-er and she is quite fussy . luc sold it as cheese ibl . he does not mention if its s1 , s2 ,s3,,, or if its a bx , it is all a bit of a mystery in which route he took. i think maybe its the exodus cut x big buddha cheeseafghan bx 3 . but i'm just guessing and it be rude of me to try and pretend i knew.

Attachments

• IMG_9999.JPG
    IMG_9999.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9998.JPG
    IMG_9998.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9993.JPG
    IMG_9993.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 127

Keif Cake

Veteran
What an elegant long flowering OTH male you have there @Keif Cake :) Like in any cannabis strain, Oldtimer's Haze males flower faster and earlier than females, although very long flowering males can be found. When we first started to work with Oldtimer's Haze, we found very high yielding males, and others very skiny, low yielding and long flowering males, always used both in reproductions to make sure nothing is lost for future generations.

Not sure about the photoperiod he is under, but you can speed flowering switching to 10/14.
And please Haze the Zenith with that male! ;)
Hola Senor @dubi, thank you for the genetic preservation, i have plans on using this male extensively, to cross it with every interesting female i can.
I think it's getting safe to say i need more room for growing, and Thailand has been weighing on my mind lately, i may find myself there later this year, as i need to be in a better legal environment to expand any further, and while i could do that moving here in the US, the lunacy thats infected America, especially in the parts of the country that happen to be the friendlier cannabis States, i think soon living as Expatriate may be the best for my future.

I lowered the light to 10 hours last week, and hitting the Zenith has certainly been in the plans.

Finally, tonight, after the revegging Zenith greenery just went limp a couple weeks ago, the stalk just dried up, and all clone attempts melted away that I've attempted, the very last peice of greenery finally has a root!!!
20231215_200745.jpg

Looks like Zenith Haze will be a thing for sure.

Three Blueberry Haze i got germinated, one of these wanting to stretch, maybe thats my male.
20231215_202916.jpg

These are the two F2 of the Destroyer x OTH started a while back, they make gorgeous Sativas.
The female, topped it a week or so ago, love the Colombian shining through, wont mind seeing that be a dominant expression at all.
20231215_203348.jpg

The male. This short male looks like one of the rarer expressions of Destroyer, from deep within the Colombian genetics from what ive seen in my experience and the forums.
The small leaves though i think are from OTH, the short Colombian Destroyer has much bigger leaves
20231215_203007.jpg

And several more of the F2's
20231215_203517.jpg

Not a lot of plant, but 1000's of Chocolate Thai Haze seeds finishing up.
20231215_204259.jpg
20231215_204252.jpg

BillyStoker

Green Oldtimers haze reproduction seed I threw in the herb garden to see what pops up out of curiosity. The first pic is the common type I’m used to seeing but the second is different. Right from germination the leaves looked broader, more vigorous and has a stem rub of what I perceive as onions and leather.

Attachments

• 5B4DC8B5-724F-4C7C-B998-9E2184A174C1.jpeg
    5B4DC8B5-724F-4C7C-B998-9E2184A174C1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 107
  • C9F5B34D-A34A-4990-BA27-F023AF85F61A.jpeg
    C9F5B34D-A34A-4990-BA27-F023AF85F61A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106

Perdido

Oldtimers Haze, seems like is more dificult to clone than most varities
I had the same issues with a strain I can't remember, always took a week or two longer to root.
I did cuttings as a job, ie thousands per week.
It works better when you use soil or slightly fertilzed sand (or whatever I guess - rockwool, cocos etc), then they don't suffer that much. Or I sometimes dip them in a fertilzer solution i have around when I see them suffering.

Latest posts

Latest posts