What's new

OldOne's 2nd cab run - PLL / PPK / Arjan's Haze 3

oldone

All right, all right, a little math then shall we gentlemen?

Jack's hydro mixed 130 ounces per 1000 us gallons. (Are these ounces by weight or volume?) I assume its volume.

I work in liters so;
130 oz in 3780 liters

I mix 20 liter batches so
130 / 3780 = .03439 oz per liter
.03439 x 20 = .6878 oz per batch

just for fun;
25lb bag = 400 oz
400 / .6878 = 581.5 batches
581 / 1 batch per week = over 11 years from 25lbs!

You guys measure TDS very accurately down to 3 decimal places. I have a BlueLab Truncheon that only measures in .1 EC increments. Its been good enough for me so far (and its practically guaranteed forever). I'd rather not replace it. Do I have to in your opinion? Is that fantastic accuracy necessary?

I'm almost sold...D9 what is your current mix ratio and target ppm?
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the bluelab truncheon is a fine instrument and is probably more accurate than my milwaukee.

jack's mixing instructions suggest ec 2.1 or 1050 ppm at the .5 conversion as a starting point.

to achieve this you would use

630 ppm jack's and 420 ppm calcium nitrate.

the easiest thing to do here is to multiply by 2, then divide by 1000.

so 630 ppm becomes ec 1.26. if your meter reads in 100ths you're good to go. if not the easiest thing is to round it to ec 1.2.

420 calcium nitrate x 2 divided by 1000 is ec .84 or ec .8 rounded.

this would give you an operating ec of 2.0. probably close enough.

ec 1.8 or 900 ppm is 540 ppm jack's and 360 ppm calcium nitrate.

540 x 2 divided by 1000 is ec 1.08. 360 x 2 divided by 1000 is ec .72.

ec 1.5 or 750 ppm is 450 ppm or ec .9 jack's and 300 ppm or ec .6 calcium nitrate

ec 1.2 or 600 ppm is 360 ppm or ec .72 jacks and 240 ppm or ec .48 calcium nitrate

when rounding numbers try to keep as close to the 1/.67 jack's/calcium nitrate ratio as possible.

using your meter to mix allows you to use any unmeasured quantity of water. liters and gallons are not important. neither is weight.

oldone

OK boys I took the plunge...

5lbs ea of the hydro and cal nitrate...$53 (express canoe aint cheap).

D9 you have not steered me wrong yet. So IF you gonna do it?:)
OO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
cool!

the delivery personnel around here are usually drunk, toothless, white trash with confederate flags and easy rider rifle racks on their trucks speaking a language they claim is english but no one else can understand.

what kind of water are you using?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
nevermind on the water question. i see you are using ro. you are ready to go. put away the ph adjusters.

oldone

Neither OO or myself have been adjusting the water anyway. That's why our damn pH is so high.

Yes I was adjusting to 5.7ish until D9 said not to bother.

What surprised me most when I got the new Ph pen was the 4.5 bulk rez reading. When I mix up a new batch I usually get a 5.4(un-adjusted). Somewhere I'm dropping almost a point. Since EC was still at the mixed 1.8 nute loss wont account for it.

I only have a small RO system and have to collect a 20 liter jug over 2 or 3 days. I could do it faster but we use that water for cooking and coffee. It must be very well oxygenated since filling a 500ml transparent bottle will show lots of bubbles after sitting overnight.

Maybe the gas loss explains the drop.

What do you guys think?

Oh and 6.2 ppk rez is near the normal Ph for coco so I was not concerned about it.

Later,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I've definitely watched my pH rise a bit after I top of the tank. (The next day.)

As much as I imagine the capillary action of the wick is one-way, I guess that's bad thinking. Maybe there is a reaction in the res to the conditions in the coco. Beats me.

oldone

Wow IF, I just finished reading your Vertical Closet thread. What a ride.

It reminded me of my own first run where everything went wrong, I had to get drastic but I did end up with some decent smoke. All on a much smaller scale than you of course.

Are you gonna try a PPK? Do it...you know you want to:)

see ya,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Yeah.

That sucked. I though I sucked. Maybe I do.

I do know I had that damn toxic pipe in both of my last two failures. I've run DWC in the past with mid-grade genetics and had good success. I changed a lot in the last year, so there are too many factors that may have played a roll...

I do know i had that damn toxic pipe in both of my last two failures.

I've got a two cell PPK right now. Super satisfied.

Flipping right now. Or five minutes ago. Maybe I'll start a thread.

oldone

Hi IF,

I just finished catching up with the ppk thread and saw your posts. For a self confessed tinkerer your going to find ppks remarkably boring. But maybe thats a good thing.

And you (like me) are going to be staring at a lot of perfectly serviceable gear that will now collect dust.

Maybe I'll start a thread.
Ya gotta spread the ppk love, brother...

see ya,
OO

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Man,

I have enough dusty equipment to feed a second world nation.

I already am so damn bored.

So bored.

But when I have a sick perpetual running, there will be something to do every day... right? Please tell me there will be something to do.

Nute top-off =/= enough.

So bored.

oldone

Please tell me there will be something to do.

Well...

A true tinkerer can always find something to do. It just wont have to do with the rootzone or feeding.

-trim some leaves
-update your grow thread(hint)
-read some threads where growers are having very complex problems and chuckle malevolently at how easy you have it
-educate some newbies
-pore over the seed catalogs
-sell your dusty equpement
-plan a vacation where you dont have to worry about your girls
-sacrifice a chicken(always fun)
The list is endless...

Between D9, you me and a few others we can document the easiest way to grow. The holy grail? Whoever heard of being bored during a grow? Not having to worry about nutes or roots or pumps or timers or air or temps or jesus the mind boggles.

Chin up solider, the future beckons,
OO

BTW, I really appreciate your writing style. Very sarcastic, I love it...

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Well, I did get to pull all that toxic pipe a couple of days ago, so that was something.

The canopy was pretty dense. I got to do a bit of shade leaf removal today.

That was three minutes.

And I'm drinking out of a bigger coffee cup, so that'll keep me busy for an extra five.

But then what? I'm not going to workout... that shit will kill you.

Stupid passive system.

Maybe I'll make a mini cab with a mini high stress aero system. Something to mother and coax and cry about.

oldone

Maybe I'll make a mini cab with a mini high stress aero system. Something to mother and coax and cry about.

OK so we have to invent something to take the place of the oh-shit-what-am-I-going-to-do-now when disaster strikes. I cant say I miss that oh so regular feeling, but I see your point. I'll think about it.

Meanwhile where's your thread? At least post some pics here so I have something to look at...

Later,
OO

Oh yeah 23 days until the NHL season starts...THATS the answer!

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Um,

I was going to start my thread, but instead I'll post some pics here...

This is immediately after transplant:

picture.php

This is the first evening of flower, 26 days of veg:

picture.php

And this is one of the shade leaves that I plucked:

picture.php

I told you I had an Okton pH meter...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a thread to start.

oldone

Darth Delta has taught you well, my young Jedi...

Nice setup man, I'm jealous. Your fans are eagerly awaiting the sacred thread...

OO