What's new

Old House. limited electrical. tripping breaker :(

madpenguin

Did they say they would lock out your meter or disco at the pole?

How close is your panel to your meter?

What type of construction is your house made of? Cinder block or all wood framing?

It looks as if your existing panel is recessed into the wall. Was that just plaster around the edges I saw or was that mortar/concrete?

Are your existing house branch circuits run thru conduit when they enter the panel? Or can you see them as being exposed above the panel somewhere and then just come thru knockouts in the panel?

Is your panel in a basement? Exposed ceiling in the basement?

Lots of things you need to know/figure out before purchasing a panel.

Also, Is there anyway you can take another picture of the side of your house only step back enough to see the entire side of the house. I know this sounds a little sketchy but I know nothing about your service lateral.

Do you have an aerial drop from a XFMR on a pole that meets a mast attached to the side of your house and then travels down the mast to your meter?

Or do you have underground service fed from a pad mounted XFMR? (transformer).

I know next no nothing about your setup so it's neigh impossible for me to give any sound advice If your really going to go thru with this.

As I say, some municipalities don't give a shit about unlicensed work being done like this. If your absolutely sure you are in such an area and NO PERMITS are required to be pulled, then this can be done safely but I'd plan on being without power for at least a day or two unless you really have a game plan before you start.

This still makes me a little nervous but I've found if someone is dead set on doing something, they'll do it regardless if someone helps or not. If your in that frame of mind then I will attempt to help you but this will be quite an undertaking, make no mistake.

I need to know alot more than what I do now, that's for sure.

madpenguin

Also, as suggested earlier, I'd try and take that ballast and lamp over to someone else's house and plug it in to run it.

Make absolutely sure that you have wired it correctly. Wouldn't that be a gas if you did all this electrical work, ran a new circuit and then your light does the same thing.... :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Usually it's best to start at the beginning and then work your way back. Even if it wound up being your ballast/lamp, personally, I still wouldn't feel comfortable with a grow op on all that old shit.

I'll tell you what, I rent as well. I've dumped a couple grand on this place along with hundreds of hours fixing it up (most of which my landlord knows nothing about). When your in a really neat old house and you plan on staying for quite awhile, then dumping your own money on fixing it up really shouldn't be an issue.

D

dasmo

Hi Mad, and anyone else reading..
Mr. Penguin let me thank you again for your help. It seems you know where I'm coming from. I got a couple answers for those questions.

The service entry lines run about 10ft along the side of the house and another 10ft in the house.

The house has all wood framing.

There is plaster around the existing panel. No mortar/concrete

There are no conduits.

There is no basement.

There is a pole the cable comes down from.. on my roof directly over my meter.. about 3 feet above.

I've took it to a buddy's house and it works alright without tripping any breakers. So its wired alright.

One thing I noticed when I went out there... They upgraded my meter :) Now it's says 100 amps continuous and it looks all new and shiney.

Thoughts?

madpenguin

Wow. Cool. New meter. Did they take the old one with them? That's lame if so. That could go for a good bit of money to the right person.

Call them back and ask them if they ran new Service Entrance Conductors from the service lateral to the meter. If they did ask them what gauge wire. I would assume it's probably #2 AL to match the meter.

If you've got a new 100A feed to a new 100A meter, then me personally were I in your shoes, would probably pull the meter face and rip out the conductors going from the bottom of the meter to the old panel.

#2 AL SEU cable to replace it going into a new Square D QO 100A 20 space Main Breaker Panel ($90 at Lowes).

10 feet worth of Service cable inside the house is a bit much for it to be unfused. I might even install a 100A disconnect right beside the meter and then run #2 AL SER from the disco to the above mentioned new panel. Drive a ground rod as well as running a jumper to the incoming water main.

Ofcourse, that is what I would do. Quite an undertaking for someone who isn't in the trade but certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. Once the meter face is carefully/safely removed and you stay away from the top lugs in the meter, everything after that is completely dead and you can work in peace.

Again, this is what I would do. I have no idea what you would do... ;-)

wow im reading this just to get an idea for the stuff im getting ready to wire and madpenguin you are awesome. im amazed at how much help is given on these boards from knowledgeable individuals

W

Woall

madpenguin, I moved my post to a new thread. I have a few questions there. I see now that an unresolved thread was a bad place for my post.