What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old 70s seeds, Elephant, thai stick, P red

idiit

Veteran
i bought all of brazilian seed company's strains when he (fritzman) was closing shop. he stated in emails that these were older beans and very poor germ rates. i sent him lots $ and got extra helpings of each strain. i tried gibberellic, seaweed, scarfing with sandpaper and even bigherbs "seed cracking prior to germination" technique. lots emitted a preliminary (not complete) tap root and died. very few germinated. a few did and i am still doing work with these strains.

the older seeds often had a yellow dried out embryonic sheath that was very difficult for the embryo to cast off. i did this by hand. very fragile work. i'm a clumsy person and got some to survive anyhow. the older seeds that did germinate often showed extreme lack of vigor. after the seedling got established they did much better vigor wise and the clones off these plants showed normal vigor.

the best technique for my inept self was presoak in distilled water/paper towels for a couple of days and then planting in sterile potting mix in sterile containers. i use archaea which help keep the potting mix clean of mold/fungus. ambient temp between 70-75 and a fan to maintain good ventilation.

i also just recently got some very old seed stock to preserve:

panama red
jamacian lambs bread (bushman's)
kandahar
aww
sssc skunk #1 (where cheese and roadkill supposedly were sourced from).
blowfish
nepalese pure
trainwreck (jojo's s1's)
swazi rooibart
ethiopian
others as well.

this is important work preservation wise.

let us know how it works out.

mrnicedreams413

i bought all of brazilian seed company's strains when he (fritzman) was closing shop. he stated in emails that these were older beans and very poor germ rates. i sent him lots $ and got extra helpings of each strain. i tried gibberellic, seaweed, scarfing with sandpaper and even bigherbs "seed cracking prior to germination" technique. lots emitted a preliminary (not complete) tap root and died. very few germinated. a few did and i am still doing work with these strains.

the older seeds often had a yellow dried out embryonic sheath that was very difficult for the embryo to cast off. i did this by hand. very fragile work. i'm a clumsy person and got some to survive anyhow. the older seeds that did germinate often showed extreme lack of vigor. after the seedling got established they did much better vigor wise and the clones off these plants showed normal vigor.

the best technique for my inept self was presoak in distilled water/paper towels for a couple of days and then planting in sterile potting mix in sterile containers. i use archaea which help keep the potting mix clean of mold/fungus. ambient temp between 70-75 and a fan to maintain good ventilation.

i also just recently got some very old seed stock to preserve:

panama red
jamacian lambs bread (bushman's)
kandahar
aww
sssc skunk #1 (where cheese and roadkill supposedly were sourced from).
blowfish
nepalese pure
trainwreck (jojo's s1's)
swazi rooibart
ethiopian
others as well.

this is important work preservation wise.

let us know how it works out.

Can you do updates on these?

idiit

Veteran
Can you do updates on these?

pr done, will grow out this year.
jlb done, will grow out this year.
kandahar no germ. dead.
aww being completed now.
sssc sk being completed now.
blowfish waiting.
nepalese pure bad herms, real bad. screwed up some of my preservation runs and had to redo.
tw jojo no germ, dead.
swazi waiting.
ethiopian waiting.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
pr done, will grow out this year.
jlb done, will grow out this year.
kandahar no germ. dead.
aww being completed now.
sssc sk being completed now.
blowfish waiting.
nepalese pure bad herms, real bad. screwed up some of my preservation runs and had to redo.
tw jojo no germ, dead.
swazi waiting.
ethiopian waiting.

Very nice. Were they all open pollinated? AWW - Aloha WW?

Did you notice any rks types in the Sk?

Keep up the good work!

idiit

Veteran
Were they all open pollinated? AWW - Aloha WW?

Aloha WW? yes.

^ yes, but the q-tips probably had some moisture from the humidity (se usa, open windows) and very little pollen remained viable after being frozen (q-tips stored in baggies and then stored in glass jar in freezer) so i'm doing it again using the same females and male offspring of the first aww/aww pollination. only three seeds were viable and non hermie round 1; 2 females (both kept as clones) one male. only had a small batch of old seeds to work with.

Did you notice any rks types in the Sk?

first round yielded all males. used two different phenos to store pollen from; one more indica, one more sativa. both pretty balanced i/s,s/i looking. round 2 underway. got several getting ready to go into flowering room. need at least two different females to get good genetic preservation using both males on both females.

i've researched the rks and from what i've read sam bred for sweet skunk (more sativa). however, an indica influenced sssc sk #1 (m9) crossed into a pungent afg. indica might yield a good rks type pheno and i'm going to try to do this as well.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
When I read your thread I thought of an article in SKUNK magazine of a strain called ELEPHANT EAR the article is on old school sativas. It is very well possible this is your strain? Heres the specs.

-ELEPHANT EAR-

Type: Sativa (hybrid)

Origin: Hawaii

Uniqueness: Wonderfull and rare flavor range that hits you fast and hard, like a locomotive in the forehead, you can forget your own name after a good bongload.

Elephant Ears effects are very visual and happy. The strain features a medium to high cieling. It hits smokers very fast and often with a big rush involving seeing stars and grabbing hold of something for support. This strain features wonderfull flavors, resembling a sharp, overripe mango or pineapple. Legs and munchies are both medium. She makes eating strange food combos a enjoyable experience but doesnt induce munchies as severely as many indicas and hybrids.

Elephant Ear is mostly sativa, although many claim it to be fully sativa. This is a monster, featuring fat wide leaves, and rampant growth.

............................Sounds like a baddass strain. Put me down for the Elephant
thanks for this information. I was looking for it but didnt find anything, except of this. many thanks.