What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old 70s seeds, Elephant, thai stick, P red

Apodo

Can you name the seedbank that take it upon the task to germinates these ye olde genetics?.
Not even one sprouted yet?. Don't give up, germination is possible even after decades.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I vote for paper towel inside a ziploc, low 80's has worked best for me as well. Agree you can only keep them in the paper towel for a few days before they start to rot.

If possible I'd do a test of 5-10 with scarification and without, then do the rest with whatever works best.

I've had great luck storing seeds, max age up to 10-12 years old, still getting 80% or higher germination. However, I stored them with dessicant. Not sure how long they'll last without dessicant. Probably depends on the climate where they were stored and at what temperature.

But seeds have been germinated that are over 100 years old before, so you know anything's possible.

When they found the seeds from that Mongolian shaman from 3000 years ago they tried to germinate them! No luck though.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Sharpie" was originally a name designating a permanent marker launched in 1964 by the Mason Sargent Ink Company. The Sharpie also became the first pen-style permanent marker.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Man, it would be nice to see that New World Columbian Gold and Original Panama Red and Maui Wowie again. Nowadays, I don't know what to think, though they have some great marijuana that they grow too.

No matter how it turns out, it will be for the best. K++ to those kind souls working on making it work!

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is how they germed a 2000 year old date seed successfully.

Materials and Methods

Seed germination
On the basis of methods to sprout
delicate germplasm, seeds were
soaked in water for 24 hours and
gibberellic acid (5.19 mM) (Ortho-
Grow,USA), for 6 hours
(S1),
followed by Hormoril T8 solution (5g/ Lit.)
(Asia-Riesel,Israel) for 6 hours, and K
F-20 organic fertilizer (10ccs/Lit. )
(VGI,Israel) for 12 hours (
S2
). All solutions were maintained at 35
O
C.
Seeds were separately potted in
new sterile potting soil, one cm
below the surface and placed in a locked
quarantine site. Eight weeks after
germination and periodically afterwards
, KF-20 (10ccs/Lit.) and iron chelate
(10g /Lit.) were added to the seedling. Irrigation initially used the highly
mineralized water of the Arava region
(S2).
At 11 weeks due to "tip
burn"(darkening and drying of leaves),
irrigation was changed to desalinated
water, with subsequent improved
growth and leaf development. "

found it here:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2008/06/12/320.5882.1464.DC1/Sallon.SOM.pdf

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Here's a method from some old Coot...

take soil mix and put it into #1 containers, hydrate with kelp meal tea, Aloe vera and Fulvic acid. Take seed and set it on the surface - and here comes the tricky part - I take my 'pinkie' and press lightly on the seed until it is about 1/4" deep - warning another tricky step here - I push the surrounding soil on top of it and gently tamp it down. finis...

So, the fulvic, aloe vera and kelp meal tea are the catalyst. Good luck, germ a bunch...make more seeds and pass them on.

Great news! Finally had some time to set this up right. Took 20 of the Panama Reds, and individually sanded some of the husk off with a fine sandpaper.

In 20 hours, 3 sprouted in paper towel! Planted them, exactly 1/2 inch down in some coco and gave a very light solution of maxicrop seaweed... hopefully several more pop too.

Future sprouting is suspended temporarily to watch these, and to ensure greater care is taken. Will give pics when can.

S

Smoke Buddy

I was in socal in the 70s and we had access to most of the strains you have. The Thai varied a bit. Some was just mind blowing incredible and some was just incredible... the Elephant we were getting came directly from friends in Hawaii. It was sativa to the max. Total electric high.. I mean you could feel electricity running thru ya and at the same time it was couchy.. too ripped to do anything.. I was told later by a Hawaiian that elephant was a sort of generic term at the time for the best and wasnt always the same exact product but ours was...

Drift13

I remember P.Red, Red, Gold bud & Thai stick from the 70's.
Subscribed and following with great interest. Hoping one day to see some of these seeds on Seedbay.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
This is pretty cool. Although I'm starting to think there was more than one version of Panama Red. DJ Short says it was just Colombian Red grown in Panama. Than theres the one Reeferman offered which sucked. Than I see pics of the Panama Red 1974 that charlie works with and I don't know what to make of it. Than there's the one BCO works with that goes 20 weeks easily in bloom. I dunno man there's alot of misinformation out there concerning the old P-Red

igrowone

Veteran
This is pretty cool. Although I'm starting to think there was more than one version of Panama Red. DJ Short says it was just Colombian Red grown in Panama. Than theres the one Reeferman offered which sucked. Than I see pics of the Panama Red 1974 that charlie works with and I don't know what to make of it. Than there's the one BCO works with that goes 20 weeks easily in bloom. I dunno man there's alot of misinformation out there concerning the old P-Red

i've read the same, i do remember the red tip columbo, very nice indeed, superb flavor
that was the later 70's 77/78 or so
i do recall seeing, but not having the luck to sample, something supposed to be PR
and that was something very wild looking at the time, some deep brick red, and it looked nothing like the red tip

D

DJXXPLATINUM

MEMORIES

MEMORIES

panama red is great smoke if its the real deal ,around 74-78 we were scoring columbian gold and panama red for $35.00 an oz and it was some of the tastiest weed around .the gold had a sweet taste where the redbud had a spicy tatse to it
OH THE MEMORIES...$325 A LB FOR TOP GOLDBUD, RAINBOW, COLUMBIAN REDBUD...$35 AN OZ...YOU PAID $40 FOR THE SPECIAL GOODS..DJ

Awwww... they don't seem to come up.

They had popped open in the paer towel, but won't come above the coco... I dug down and they didn't do anything after I placed them in the medium.

Will try again in coming days, with maybe warmer medium...? It was much cooler than towels so I'm thinking that might be the problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts