What's new

Official Seed Harvest, Storing, Curing, ect. Thread

Bulldog11

Veteran
Really helpful thread people. I do have a question about seed storage. This question is in regards to seeds bought from seedbay/bou and should already be dried. The question is, should these beans still be dried out before being stored? I see people say 8% water, but how do I measure this? If I do have to use a desiccant to dry out the seeds, should I just seal the desiccant in with the seeds? Or will long time exposure to desiccants dry seeds out to much? Thanks in advance, Bulldog.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Really helpful thread people. I do have a question about seed storage. This question is in regards to seeds bought from seedbay/bou and should already be dried. The question is, should these beans still be dried out before being stored? I see people say 8% water, but how do I measure this? If I do have to use a desiccant to dry out the seeds, should I just seal the desiccant in with the seeds? Or will long time exposure to desiccants dry seeds out to much? Thanks in advance, Bulldog.

Seeds can dry out too much. I would think they are at optimum moisture content. I have no idea how you would measure the moisture content without destroying the seed.

As for dessicant, I wouldn't use dry rite or anything like that unless it was fresh seed we were talking about. Rice should do nicely. I store my seeds in plastic bags with dessicant (or rice) outside of the ziploc in a film canister or jar.

Again dessicant can dry them out too much, but with fresh seeds this isn't a problem (at least for me).

The idea is to create a perfect environment... however practice never makes perfect. All we can do is try.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm telling you guys cotton q-tip ends in the bag with the seeds kept beans viable for over 8 years for me in the fridge. I am guessing the white cotton might be treated somehow possibly to prevent bacteria or fungus from forming on the q-tips? Cotton absorbs moisture as well remember they used to put cotton balls in prescription pill bottles years ago. It also will not overdry and dehydrate seeds, they need some moisture content in them to keep the embryo alive long term. Cotton is soft and squishy too the beans like to rub against it, it's like a little comfy pillow for them to sleep with. :)

Last edited:

Bulldog11

Veteran
Mean Mr Mustard, Sotf420 - Thanks for the responses. You have a good argument there Sotf420. I just bought all this desiccants and thought they might be better. You say you got 8 years off them this way huh? 8 years I would be very happy with. I think you sold me. Thanks again you guys and great thread. Now why won't this thread bookmark for me?

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good thing i have all my deep chunk and dc crosses with some cotton. :dance013:
picture.php

now to add it to the rest of my seeds

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:respect: That is how it's done folks! Kept in a dark & cold place like a 35 F temp. fridge those babies will still pop 10 + years from now. :canabis:

Bulldog11

Veteran
I researched tubes like those and they didn't have the best rating...... I found that Mylar bags designed for seed storage had good ratings. Other wise I would have bought some test tubes like those, I think they look and stack better.

I think the key is to have something (cotton) in to absorb the moisture that does leak in.I like the color changing desiccant but the cotton replaced every 2 years sounds just as good.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am finally starting to harvest some of my beans. Here is a pic of ft100 Fairytale #2 x BOG Sour Lifesaver:

picture.php

WFF

I crossed Super skunk with Hash Bomb anyhow Im drying the seeds for 10 days then will be putting in an small paper envelope then putting in a old vitamin bottle and will throw in some cotton wool ..

If I wish to store the seeds for many years then putting in my kitchen fridge but where is best ?? In the door ... at the back ??? anywhere in the fridge say in the door be ok ?

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
^^^Dry them for longer about 4-6 weeks, then do as you would. The area of the fridge that you want to keep them in should be consistent in light and temp. (e.g. Not in the door which gets opened constantly) Keeping them closest to the compressor (if your compressor is located in the frigde part) and freezer is also an option, but if you do that you should dry them for the full 6-8 weeks to ensure the right amount of moisture without damage during the freezing process. I would also suggest adding a black layer around or inside the container that holds the seeds, so if there's a light it won't penetrate to the beans.

Best of luck..and hope that helps.

~UP

OMMPatient

I have two questions regarding the seed making process if I may.

First, are the seeded plants as potent as unseeded ones when it comes to smokable material? I realize that a well pollinated plant puts most of its energy into seed production and not resin production. But are the terpenes and resins the same as on a seedless plant?

Secondly, How long do you cure the mature seeds for before testing for viability? Do they need to be cooled or tricked into thinking that they just experienced winter for better germination rates or is just 4-6 weeks drying sufficient?

The reason I ask is I made 100's (if not 1,000s) of BOG SB bx4 seeds this year in hopes to finding a very special Sour Bubble.

I'm hoping for a larger gene pool to choose from without breaking the bank. I selected my best SB male(s) and breed them up with my best female SB females.

nobull56

ICMag Donor
I think that if you pollenate over 1/3 to 1/2 of the plant it will be less in most traits, including potentcy.
I dry the plant has normal, clean the seeds, then start checking % of germ & track the % while they are on the market. They get pulled when lower then 80%.

I like what you did with the SB, please don't forget to freeze some of your pollen for the future!

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
Haven't been on for a while I hope everyone is well.

I have been gifting seeds left and right and it feels great. One project I'm very excited about is "Raided 12 mix" or basically the 12 seeds that made it through a raid. Some extremely potent strains are in the mix including: GDP, silver afghani, trainwreck x kush, goo, cali o, c99, blue Larry,and a few others. All seeds were singles, and about 8-9 years old. 100% germ rate with no scuffing needed. I mixed them all without labels, because although they maybe well know strains, the phenos I'm searching for are the old school flavor, not the watered down renditions of what these great strains used to be.

Anyways between two friends in two weeks, around two hundred seeds are being germed and sifted through. I'll try to keep you all informed on the progress, but so far were at 98% germ rates with the seeds averaging around five years old. :)

Until then my friends...UP*

vicious bee

I pollinate the bottom of my plants for seed. When the top is done I cut it off and let the bottom buds stay in the cab for a good long seed finish. I'm not positive but my experience is making seeds doesn't ruin the potency by a large amount.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Great Info-

IC rocks and thanks to all who participate in sharing knowledge. Storage is key and looking forward to making some new things with about 200 old, old improperly stored bagseeds from a friend. Stress testing the females and males will be done for sure. So far germ rate is 4 out of 50 so not getting too excited but you never know. NS

nobull56

ICMag Donor
Great Info-

IC rocks and thanks to all who participate in sharing knowledge. Storage is key and looking forward to making some new things with about 200 old, old improperly stored bagseeds from a friend. Stress testing the females and males will be done for sure. So far germ rate is 4 out of 50 so not getting too excited but you never know. NS

Try putting some in the refer for a week, then germ has normal. Some times that will make older seeds think that winter is over & more will germ. IMHO

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
That usually works better for newer seeds but if they haven't ever been cold then it holds true no matter the age... unless of course it's just REALLY damn old lol.