What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

karakiri

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I'm working on a cabinet design and willing to use screw-in LEDs. Since my design depends on ventilation, I think I should ask the following question here instead of a new thread:

— Do you think it is a good idea to separate plant and LEDs with plexiglass, or is it overkill in my case?

I know it depends on many factors but basically I'm thinking of a 75cm x 40cm x 75cm (2.46ft x 1.31ft x 2.46ft) cabinet with 8-10 x 9W LEDs, 120mm - 5.68 H20 PC Fan and a DIY carbon filter.

I have access to fresh air 24/7 and room temperature is generally around 21°C-24°C (70°F-75°F).

I'm just making assumptions for now but I'm hoping to proceed to the production phase after your feedback.

I'm sharing my initial drafts below.

Thank you for help and great inspiration.

Imgur link for images:
https://imgur.com/a/ADqWS

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey K,
Looks very good, but leave out the plexi. It will eat up too much of your light and it's not necessary...after losing the plexi- move your exhaust port to the upper 1/4 of the cabinet! use the second fan 24h on to circulate the air in the cab.
The rest looks very good, how are you going to construct the filter ?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I agree with getting rid of the plexiglass. If you want, you can separate the base of the bulbs from the grow area. The base is a heatsink as well as where the AC/DC drivers are. If you replace the plexiglass with wood, you can then cut holes in the wood for the lights. Seal this off well with silicone and vent the drivers and heat sinks that way.

Something like this without the fan in the center.
picture.php

karakiri

Thank you for your feedback Chevy cHaze and ReikoX.

After your input I'm getting rid of the pleksiglass. It'll be simpler and better. So I'll start with removing the pleksi and related parts, if I have temperature problems I'll implement ReikoX' suggestion.

@Chevy cHaze: Planning to use TeriYaki's method for the carbon filter. Mr. Sparkle also using a similar approach as far as I know. I'll give it a try.

Cheers

slevin_

Sorry for the delay, I could not update you!

This is the situatio whit LED Bulb in 20 days from seeds.

picture.php

picture.php

And this is the situation at 24 days from seeds after top for mainlining.

picture.php

picture.php

For now, I love led bulbs, so I hope it is also blooming :biggrin:
If you want you can find my thread in the sign.

Hi to all,
Slevin.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Radical, that's great, I wanted to build sonmething just like that but have been too lazy hahaha.
Is the frame held together by tape ??
good luck,
CC

BruceBanner

Yo people whats up :)
I see now all my pics are nonexistent because of that tiny pic site I was putting them on, but no problem I have some new!

Building some mass and density hehe

Left and mid Czech domestic sativa, right is Durango from Mexico, should be some talibana mixed genes from dutch crap, but till now I like her very much, it's oldschool coffee smell in the room, can't be worse than all those uber hyped breeders mediocre stuff I was experiencing, I am so disappointed that I don't even want to write smoke reports on those.

Last edited:
Blynx...thanks for starting this thread the info helped and still does help tons ... this is my veg/mom box 4-100w and 3 60w bulbs.. 20 day White Widow just showed sex.. both female

Shakí7

Hi guys!!!
My little test goes on, now with 5bulbs 9w 6400°k and 4bulbs 11.5w 2700°k.

in a few days I will change to 12/12, removing some 6400 ° k light bulbs and adding more 2700°k.

With pleasure I share with you some photos of my plants.

CBD Therapy 4wayLST

picture.php

Greeting to all LedBulbs lovers.
:tiphat:

psyphish

Veteran
I can't find any decent 3000K bulbs locally, the most powerful bulbs are either 4000K or 2700K, I wonder if the 2700K are any good or if I should just stick with the 4000K?

G

Hi psyphish,I 've used 2700k in flo and they were fine.

3 weeks from seed for the bigger ones,they've been topped,tied,crushed .First time vegging with the screw-ins and I can say I love them,with my 400 w MH temps would have been unbearable these 3 weeks...Also good side branching and minimal internode stretch,mostly sativa strains.In flo I will probably use both HID and screw ins.
72t2WY7.jpg

acUp6We.jpg

I tried using these awhile back and had some light burn issues. Area was roughly 8 sq ft and had 30 15w phillips 2700k screw in leds and 10 15w 5000ks covering that area. The lights were around 6 to 8 inches above canopy level. After getting the burn i swapped back to hps but am still interested in using the screw in leds. Was this a case of too much light, too close to the canopy or a combo of both? If so whats the reccomended amount of lights per sq ft and what height should they be at if it was too close? Thanks for any advice