What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Not sure I would want to use a light thats 5 usd per 100w, on for hours at a time and left unsupervised. I would also worry about durability and spectrum not being so good, extra to the fire risk.
On second thoughts, that might be a lie and real led power might be real low compared to advertised. Sound a bit too cheap, and knowing the kind of commision amazon takes, plus the shipping from china, that should be really a 2 usd (tops) product cost to start with. So probably imposible to be even close to 200W!

Last edited:

Drop That Sound

I'm gonna buy a few of them anyway. Just for kicks. There is a bunch of different variations, and online stores selling that style of garage lights now for the last year or so. Haven't seen any bad fire reviews, nothing any worse than regular household SILs as far as holding up.. Maybe I'll get the 100w ones that cost the same amount, but have less LEDs. Maybe they are better quality driver circuits, or even more of a rip off?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Maybe there's a hidden resistor inside? Hard to buy the part in bulk in china for the money, if the leds can take 200w. It's that "cheap"!

H G Griffin

PCBuds

A long vertical tube tower, with all the bulbs connected in 90 degree mode would be cool!

I like it !!

If it were me, I'd mount the lights on the outside facing in, like in my closet.

20231208_213803.jpg

PCBuds

I'm gonna buy a few of them anyway. Just for kicks. There is a bunch of different variations, and online stores selling that style of garage lights now for the last year or so. Haven't seen any bad fire reviews, nothing any worse than regular household SILs as far as holding up.. Maybe I'll get the 100w ones that cost the same amount, but have less LEDs. Maybe they are better quality driver circuits, or even more of a rip off?

I say just buy the 200 Watt version and simply see how it goes, and how hot it gets.

If it's too hot to touch ,then it's too hot.

You may be able to dim the lights as well to reduce the heat?
(some SILs are dimmable)
Leds are more efficient too, when they aren't turned up to maximum.

I was REALLY Paranoid about fire with my LED strips but they didn't get NEARLY as hot as my SILS got.

I can touch the strip and even the individual LEDs (you're not supposed to, but I did) and not get burned.

(Finger prints on the LED segments only matter when the LED is REALLY hot.)

The lights are so cheap that you could double the amount and run them at half power(ish).

That what I did.
The strips will last WAY longer at half power too.

LifeLess

Veteran
Check out Harbor Freight. They have a 2ft led full spec grow light. I think it's 20.00 and you can like 8 fixtures together. I'm using 2 fixtures in my grow box.

PCBuds

Check out Harbor Freight. They have a 2ft led full spec grow light. I think it's 20.00 and you can like 8 fixtures together. I'm using 2 fixtures in my grow box.

Those lights are only 19 Watts.

Screenshot_20240307-184739_DuckDuckGo.jpg

My LED strips are turned up to ~8 Watts each and I have 48 of them.
I would need 20 Harbour Freight fixtures to approximately equal the light output I have.
That's when it starts getting expensive.

The shop lights are 200 Watts.

Generally speaking, manufacturers lie a lot about the light output of an LED bulb, but not about the actual power draw from the wall.

PCBuds

Those lights are only 19 Watts.

Usually yielding a gram per Watt is doing pretty good.
I believe that some people are over to 1.5 grams per Watt now?

The Harbour Freight grow light will probably yeild a maximum of ~20-30 grams per fixture.
(Having all the other factors of growing all dialed in perfectly.)

LifeLess

Veteran
Usually yielding a gram per Watt is doing pretty good.
I believe that some people are over to 1.5 grams per Watt now?

The Harbour Freight grow light will probably yeild a maximum of ~20-30 grams per fixture.
(Having all the other factors of growing all dialed in perfectly.)
I'm just using them for seedlings. They seem to be liking them.

Attachments

• 20240307_203206.jpg
    20240307_203206.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

PCBuds

The new age of cheap SILs is upon us.

View attachment 18969033 View attachment 18969032 View attachment 18969035 View attachment 18969038

Less than $40 for a 4 pack, with 800 actual watts ;)

Who's gonna be the first to make a panel with them?

A long vertical tube tower, with all the bulbs connected in 90 degree mode would be cool!

I found this similar 200 Watt shop light at the same price, but it has more LED segments,..

Screenshot_20240307-201315_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20240307-201203_Amazon Shopping.jpg

200W and 20000 lumens is 100 lumens per watt, and that's reasonable.

200W spread out over 312 LED segments is ~⅔ of a Watt per segment, and that's reasonable too.

Screenshot_20240307-201016_Amazon Shopping.jpg

They are 6500K though and that really blue.

I personally think that throwing lots of light at a plant is more important than what color the light is.

You are still going to dissipate 200 Watts from each light and that can heat up a small space.

My lights run a total of ~350 Watts spread out over the 48 strips and 2688 individual LED segments, but that's still 350 Watts of heat going into my closet.
I've got no hot spots but my closet does get quite warm without ventilation.

20231229_220225.jpg

You might have issues if a plant touches the light but I've had a 10 Watt SIL with the dome removed in a coffee can full of dry leaves for 10 hours and there was nothing more than a hay smell.

Screenshot_20220622-120804_DuckDuckGo.jpg

PCBuds

I'm just using them for seedlings. They seem to be liking them.

Yeah that's perfect for babies.
Full spectrum too.
My lights make the plant look a different color than they are.

I've had a hard time not broiling my plants, especially when they're seedlings.
I have to use my light meter to not over cook the youngsters.

PCBuds

I grew with 100 Watt cfls for along time. Kinda miss the challenge.

I started with a 4 foot 4 bulb fluorescent fixture jammed vertically into the back of my closet.
(It's the only way I could fit it in there. That's how I became a vertical grower. It's how I started.)

Then I added cfls, but I think I only went to 20 Watts each?
Then I switched to LED Sils, then to the strips.

Lucky I skipped the HID lights.
I hate those things. 😂

20240307_212123.jpg

I still use incandescent bulbs to warm up the closet in the winter before I can turn up my strips for heat.