What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Day 1 of week 6 flower all - 5000k 17w 1600lm

2 x GG
View Image

GG nug

View Image

Tangelo

View Image
Tangelo nug

View Image

Bottom row group shot. BG BG Tangelo.

View Image
DAYUUUM!!!:headbange

I think that settles the question of whether SILs are effective or not.
Those are some amazing, drool worthy shots.
Congrats.

[decides not to put up his own pix of his ghetto grow areas]

( I run perpetual harvests, so I never have that nice uniform looking canopy either)

noknees

[decides not to put up his own pix of his ghetto grow areas]

( I run perpetual harvests, so I never have that nice uniform looking canopy either)

i'd be wayyyy into seeing modern dr bud under SIL.......

giphy.gif

bob_ross

Having some trouble with my mini experimental grow. Left two are clones and right one is mexican haze grown from seed. I got 60w equivalent (10w real) cree led bulbs with domes off. 3000K + 2700K + 3000K. For some reason I am getting really tight node spacing and small leaves. Cant tell if it is the light. I got 100w (13w) 5000K Cree led bud that did not help (seemed too strong).

5RqrvFq

bob_ross

Having some trouble with my mini experimental grow. Left two are clones and right one is mexican haze grown from seed. I got 60w equivalent (10w real) cree led bulbs with domes off. 3000K + 2700K + 3000K. For some reason I am getting really tight node spacing and small leaves. Cant tell if it is the light. I got 100w (13w) 5000K Cree led bud that did not help (seemed too strong).

hQx2p2O.jpg

IQOsd6q.jpg

PCBuds

I found that with lots of light, I had really close nodes.

I think it's the plant realizing it doesn't have to grow tall to reach the light.

My plant was all green though.

You've got some yellow leaves at the bottom.

You probably have something else going on that isn't quite right.

Your PH might be off or it's under/over-fertilized. (They both look quite similar.)

f2obsession

View Image
View Image

I agree with PC buds. Something seriously wrong in your root zone. Besides PH or EC issue, it can be over-/underwatering too. Anyway, something is really wrong with your roots, theese plants can barely uptake nutirents.

And one more thing: I guess you might have too dry air for that amout of light. Do you measure your RH? If it's under 60%, even a wet little white towel hanged on the wall of the box can help a lot. If Air temperature makes it possible, lowering rpm of the fans (or switch off one of them) can make "towel humidifiing" more effective.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Micro spaces are always a challenge at the begginning to get them dialed...

I'd say your problem is lack of air exchange/circulation for the amount of wet soil "volume" vs cab volume.

Your plants cannot transpirate more even while they look to be craving to do so as the close/powerful SILs are pushing them to kick into fast metabolism.

Let's draw an analogy with an car/bike engine: imagine clogging the exhaust... engine will stutter and wouldn't be able to properly rev up...

With your SIL setup (close in a small space) you're using high octane gas, which would require a tuned exhaust... but instead the exhaust is clogged, as plants cannot transpirate.

This is specially acute with a undeveloped plant / big pot / small micro combo like happens in your scenario.

Things I'd try:

- Add circulation to aid in water evaporation from the pots
- Keep soil on the dry side until they bulk
- until girls develop more, place the domes back in the SILs... or use lower powered ones, or place a translucent plastic sheet to "dim" them a little (what's the distance from SILs to canopy?)
- RH meter, you need to know this parameter.

f2obsession

Micro spaces are always a challenge at the begginning to get them dialed...

I'd say your problem is lack of air exchange/circulation for the amount of wet soil "volume" vs cab volume.

Your plants cannot transpirate more even while they look to be craving to do so as the close/powerful SILs are pushing them to kick into fast metabolism.

Let's draw an analogy with an car/bike engine: imagine clogging the exhaust... engine will stutter and wouldn't be able to properly rev up...

With your SIL setup (close in a small space) you're using high octane gas, which would require a tuned exhaust... but instead the exhaust is clogged, as plants cannot transpirate.

This is specially acute with a undeveloped plant / big pot / small micro combo like happens in your scenario.

Things I'd try:

- Add circulation to aid in water evaporation from the pots
- Keep soil on the dry side until they bulk
- until girls develop more, place the domes back in the SILs... or use lower powered ones, or place a translucent plastic sheet to "dim" them a little (what's the distance from SILs to canopy?)
- RH meter, you need to know this parameter.

Maan, this "engine - exhaust" metaphore is gold!

I think I understand why things always go crap in my flowering box, and why things get better by reducing light.

I think leds with their low heat production tricked me. I tought low rpm fans were enough, because i was able to manage temp under 26'C.

My 160W (actual) led engine needs sport exhaust. Thank you very much!

indagroove

Veteran

View Image
View Image

The plants look real dry and nute deficient. I think trying to grow any Haze type plant in that small of a space is a mistake. I'd stick to short flowering short Indica type plants.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
3 phenos of the Boats N Hoes #5 x Honduras Panama S1 which looked very similar in veg (same smells, growth rate, leaf shape, etc) are looking VERY different in flower (same stretch though).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

3snowboards

Bought a few fan cooled c.o.b. bulbs
Light looks to be claimed 3500K
They said replaces 150w hps
Claimed 50w
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Surprisingly nice quality for $25
I figure ill save $$ on allot more new fixtures
Found these at the dollar store to expand my power strip capacity
picture.php

picture.php

indagroove

Veteran
Bought a few fan cooled c.o.b. bulbs
Light looks to be claimed 3500K
They said replaces 150w hps
Claimed 50w

That looks like a real nice screw in COB, and a good price at $25, but I wouldn't count on it replacing a 150w HPS. Maybe two of those bulbs might match a 150w HPS, maybe.

3snowboards

That looks like a real nice screw in COB, and a good price at $25, but I wouldn't count on it replacing a 150w HPS. Maybe two of those bulbs might match a 150w HPS, maybe.

Haha
Im not looking to replace a 150 watt hps because ive never owned one
Just repeating what the description said
Im happy with a few bright 50w single fixture bulbs around to compliment my power strip rigs on the side
Im just experimenting
Its hard to beat regular screw in performance

OfCourse

ICMag Donor
Thanks for all of your work on this blynx.

After reading through this thread and then seeing Terpene successfully grow pure sativas with SILs I switched over my seedling/clone room, veg room, and greenhouse.

Latest posts

Latest posts