What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Im'One

276w of 23w 3000k / 5000k LEDs:

View Image

Pros:
  • They're brighter. I would say about 25-30% more than I am used to seeing over the 15w units. Light meter readings at the same distances are up about 200-300 on the swing meter.
  • They're easy to de-globe. Large channel locks, grab and slight twist of the wrist. No silicone inside, just 4 small tabs holding the globes.
  • They have a little lip that sticks down past the diodes. Good for protecting the leds from careless hands.
  • No exposed metal prongs. It's nice not to get minorly electrocuted by your grow setup - again, careless hands.

Cons:
  • They're bigger. The lights are about 1-1.5cm taller than the standard bulb units, even with globes removed.
  • They have a little lip that sticks down past the diodes. Somewhat funnels the light, so you can't grow right up into the bulbs.
  • Cheap plastic housing. The Feit units use a heavier weight material that feels sturdier in my hand.

View Image

At the end of the day, I am happy with my purchase, though I will admit, we've entered complete overkill territory (39.4w / sqft). I am letting them run for an hour or so before I go open the cabinet to check temps. I imagine I added a degree of heat over what I saw before (2 fan cab is about 3 degrees over ambient) with the air cooled venting, but we'll see.

so the indeep light bulbs were easy to de-globe, but signifigantly warmer...not sure how that would work for me. im running on the warm side now. I have read the warms may actually create more potency in some cases..any opinion on that?
whats the sweets spot for watts per foot? do you really need that much? i know i need more, my grams per watt suck.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Boats N Hoes x Panama Honduras S1 at chop.

picture.php

one of the 15w leds that it was grown under.

picture.php

main cola

picture.php

side branch

picture.php

whole plant

SRex

Amazon 5-paddle "60 watt" LED screw in. Kill-A-Watt says its using 46.7 watts on startup and 44.0 watts after 32 minutes. 6500k color. 13" across.

I have a big open laundry room with only 1 light fixture so I replaced a SIL with this to spread the light.

Thought it would be useful to post the actual wattage here. Not bad for a $15 adjustable light.

SRex

Curious how that performs srex, please post results. Was eyeing those.

To be honest I'd say its right in line with three 14w SILs with domes on. I don't have a light meter otherwise I'd test and share. I do know that it is a bad idea to look directly up at it. Bright as shit. Enough to light a 1 car garage by itself for a human. I'm buying 2 more to use in a 3 car garage. Pretty confident 2 will be about as bright as the 4 fluorescent shop lights and 4 CFLs already in the garage. Replacing 2 of the CFLs in there and keeping the fluorescent tubes hooked up since it is really dim in there at night.

As far as heat, after 32 minutes of being on it was only slightly warm to touch and I unscrewed it from the lamp I was using to test the wattage and then screwed it into my laundry room ceiling without any issue at all. I could have held it for 10 minutes without it burning my fingers. The 19w CFL that I replaced had been on for almost exactly the same amount of time, about 32 minutes, and it was a hot potato. Damn near threw it into the cardboard box the other light came out of because I didn't want to hold it longer than the 3 seconds it took to unscrew and set down.

techattack

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83247&pictureid=2038368&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Amazon 5-paddle "60 watt" LED screw in. Kill-A-Watt says its using 46.7 watts on startup and 44.0 watts after 32 minutes. 6500k color. 13" across.

I have a big open laundry room with only 1 light fixture so I replaced a SIL with this to spread the light.

Thought it would be useful to post the actual wattage here. Not bad for a $15 adjustable light.

I have buyed one of those of 75watt and am waiting for it to test it, if it works good i may get one or two more..

Im'One

If i were to re purpose my five vanity bar fixtures which have three lights each...and wanted to cover a 3 by 4 foot area..what bulbs would i need? Currently running the 800 lumens on ten and 1500 lumens at 19 watts on five. Of course with the globes off the latter bulbs are probably running closer to 2300 lumens? Would i want to switch to the 23 watt bulbs with globes off?

SRex

The SIL arms race continues...

I just discovered that LED A21 (slightly bigger than A19) bulbs are made in 23w. This would be a 150-200w equivalent bulb with a lumen output (globe on) of 2500. Assuming about 4000 with the globe off from what we've seen in this thread.

Kindeep E26 LED Bulbs, 150W-200W Incandescent Bulb Equivalent, 23W, Warm White 3000K, A21 LED Light Bulbs, 2500 Lumens, Not-Dimmable 6 Pack

You're looking at $25 for a six pack on Amazon. The question is, whos going to be the first person to do it... :laughing:

Edit: I couldn't help myself. Six 3000k and six 5000k have been ordered.

Do you have a kill-a-watt tester by chance? I read a review on the kindeep 23w A21 amazon product page and the guy says it only draws 14 watts.

Im'One

Do you have a kill-a-watt tester by chance? I read a review on the kindeep 23w A21 amazon product page and the guy says it only draws 14 watts.

View Image

Interesting...im thinking of sticking with FEIT 100 watters....although the last 60 watt sylvanias i got had removable globes.
I need to try to repurpose my set up and spread the lights over a larger foot print. No way i can do that with 60s....im thinking of leaving room for my repurposed mercury vapor light in there some how?

Would 15 of the 100 watt FEIT bulbs work in a 30"x36" space?

starke

According to Feit's website the 100 watter actually draws 17.5 watts. 15 of them would be 262.5 watts actual over an area of 7.5 square feet. That's 35 watts per square foot which is about on the money with LED. I'd say yes.

Im'One

According to Feit's website the 100 watter actually draws 17.5 watts. 15 of them would be 262.5 watts actual over an area of 7.5 square feet. That's 35 watts per square foot which is about on the money with LED. I'd say yes.

Thanks, im thinking probably 2000 lumens each? Thats 30000 so again about the right thing

Haven't been here in a few years, but I am very impressed with the performance of sil bulbs. Last indoor grow I did a 2.5'x2.5' cab with 12, 11w bulbs. Ran a gg#4 scrog , and pulled 9 oz dry in 4 months. That comes out to like 1.8 gpw. Never used a modern l.e.d. board so cant compare, but for the price of the bulbs I would love to build a board with around 15-18 sockets and try it again. Never would have thought 9 oz would happen in a million years

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=72540

Looking back at pics, and reading old journals has got me wanting to do another

Attachments

• user477995_pic1739337_1493882242.jpg
    user477995_pic1739337_1493882242.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 17
  • user477995_pic1727248_1491151748.jpg
    user477995_pic1727248_1491151748.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 15

Im'One

think my new light bulbs caused bleaching. I will try photos later.

I used twelve of the 16w with covers off
i mixed up the spectrum since I couldn't get all 5000k put the lights about 15 inches up from tops

Hmmm. The 11w with diffusers removed that I used had most of the upper leaves touching , or less than an inch from the exposed diodes. Some branches stretched past, and bent down on the ceiling. I remember I did have leaf that burnt, under a 16w bulb i had in the back. Mabey just too high of wattage. I read somewhere on here that after some comparisons, and experimenting that after a certain point in wattage is reached results started to decline. As in let's say 150w total produced 1.5 gpw, but 200w produced 1 gpw. Cant remember if it was early in this thread, or another very similar to this, That went in depth about different brands, and wattage of bulbs, and which worked best. If you have the head room then I guess it doesnt matter, you can just raise em, but I didn't have that option

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
@Branchsnapper or others reading the thread: in summary, the sweet spot in watts per sq feet on indoors/micro is around 30W for GPWs >= 1.5.

Start with that, then experiment if desired, but at least indoors and micro, that's the point of diminishing returns. Not only in gpw, but air flow, feeding frequency, space.. everything gets critical when you go past that.

Im'One

Well these are15 w or100 watt equivalent...and there are twelve over a three by three area? They were supposedly 1500 lumens before removing covers...so im thinking 3000 lumen per foot or so? Im too lazy to post photos until the site upgrades
Thse are mostly feit but i bought some at the dollastore too?
Mixed 3000k 2500k 5000k

Ohand ihave a 140 watt cmh on top to provide some infrared and 2100 k