What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

ScrogMonster

Veteran
BG nug
picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
frugal minds UNITE! ID love to rub a joint on those flowers omfg!
Oh dude... you know I hadn’t thought of that but I won’t forget. I better roll me joint in the next two weeks and I’m gonna coat the outside in as much live resin off those close frosty trim leaves as possible! :) I’m glad you said that.

FRANKENBUDS

Oh dude... you know I hadn’t thought of that but I won’t forget. I better roll me joint in the next two weeks and I’m gonna coat the outside in as much live resin off those close frosty trim leaves as possible! :) I’m glad you said that.

Wow no joke! What a gem of advice!!

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Just thought I’d upload this nifty falling cola fix I just came up with. My GG colas started getting tired and decided to rest their frosty bodies horizontally on the screen. I found some of that thick mendable plant wire in my tool box and started playing around with it.

Very self explanatory, quick easy simple fix. Maybe 20 seconds for each one.
picture.php

bajson

Auto viking Thor at 80+ days grown under six 11w 2700k leds from Ikea with the globes removed. I love these lights :dance013:

0z9V6vh.jpg

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Auto viking Thor at 80+ days grown under six 11w 2700k leds from Ikea with the globes removed. I love these lights :dance013:

]

Hey Bajson,

looks good there, pretty flowers... hey how many of those 80 days are flowering? my bubblegum's leaves are doing close to the same things as that Viking Thor at six weeks flower. They started fading at week 4-5 and have been fading/dying rapidly since. It looks like the colas will be fine and dandy for the most part but it concerns me. It's only one out of 3 strains in the room doing that though. The buddy that gave me the cut said his outdoor plant's leaves faded and dropped quick/early. It worries me seeing the the fan leaves that are half inside the buds have dead material... I'll cry tears if I get Botrytis.

bajson

Hey Bajson,

looks good there, pretty flowers... hey how many of those 80 days are flowering? my bubblegum's leaves are doing close to the same things as that Viking Thor at six weeks flower. They started fading at week 4-5 and have been fading/dying rapidly since. It looks like the colas will be fine and dandy for the most part but it concerns me. It's only one out of 3 strains in the room doing that though. The buddy that gave me the cut said his outdoor plant's leaves faded and dropped quick/early. It worries me seeing the the fan leaves that are half inside the buds have dead material... I'll cry tears if I get Botrytis.
In my case i think it was a ph/deficiency issue early on in flower wich i managed to sort out before it got completey out of hand. I still reckon they are coming along nicely all things considered. They have been in flowering around 60 days give or take a few.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
In my case i think it was a ph/deficiency issue early on in flower wich i managed to sort out before it got completey out of hand. I still reckon they are coming along nicely all things considered. They have been in flowering around 60 days give or take a few.

Ohh okay. Looks like you’ll be smokin tasty buds soon. When do you plan to harvest?

Hookahhead

I was at everyone’s favorite cheap LED store, when I saw something interesting...

9w 800 lm Non-dimmable plastic globe
picture.php

6.5w 800 lm Dimmable glass globe
picture.php

9w 750 lm Non-dimmable plastic globe
picture.php

9w 1100 lm Dimmable glass globe
picture.php

Anyone else seeing the trend here? The dimmable glass globe versions are killing the non dimmable plastic ones we normally use. Is the increase in efficiency due to the glass globe or dimmable driver? The bases of the two bulbs look different, I wonder what kind of setup is inside?

11w 1500 lm dimmable glass globe is the best advertised efficiency I’ve seen yet @ 136.4 lm/w!

picture.php

Edit: apparently this is what’s on the inside.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9QKj4W0WdDM

indagroove

Veteran
I'm not sure if those numbers are really trustworthy or not. I pulled this quote from another forum, where they were discussing "Great Value" bulbs:

Anybody see any UL/CSA/ETL labelling on the bulb?

I have noticed in the past cheap Chinese LED bulbs have 2 major errors. Because they do not have internal labs to actually measure things they make educated guesses.
- Lumens are calculated or worse the highest number is copied from the LED manufacturer's website. (Worst case is the 900 lumen SSC-P7 flashlight even after SSC revised the max output to 800 lumens.)
- Power is LED power, not line power. A 5 Luxeon 1 LED bulb is often quoted as 5 watts. 5 Luxeons use 6.25 watts at 350 mA. Add in 85% efficiency of the supporting electronics and the 5 watt bulb is over 7 watts.
(Hint: UL won't test LED bulbs for safety until input power/output lumens is tested by a UL approved lab.)

Philips has a 4 watt 320 lumen candle bulb on HD.ca (post bulb on HD.com). Unfortunately it only has an E26 base (E14 230V in the amazon.co.uk).
I think Philips is waiting to clear their 3W 180 lumen old stock before releasing the bulb with a E12 base. Meanwhile the factory that makes the old Philips bulb continue making variations of them and selling them to Walmart.

Hookahhead

Yeah it’s been known for a while that advertised efficiencies are pretty much useless and even the manufacture’s spec sheets of the individual diodes can have discrepancies. From what I’ve seen, bulbs are typically tested in a “sphere” that measures all the output across the entire surface, because this is how most other light sources emit photons. LEDs are oddballs because they are more directional lighting. Thus, without the globe, the testing would probably show less efficiency overall, even though the front of the bulb is putting out higher lumens. This is why, at the beginning of this thread, blynx and a few others evaluated bulbs with/without globes using a light meter instead. Also as indagroove’s post pointed out, there is a strong likelihood that a lot of these bulbs aren’t even being tested. Sadly, even though I know the advertised efficiencies are erroneous, they’re the only thing we have to go by without doing our own testing.

Im'One

I was at everyone’s favorite cheap LED store, when I saw something interesting...

9w 800 lm Non-dimmable plastic globe
View Image

6.5w 800 lm Dimmable glass globe
View Image

9w 750 lm Non-dimmable plastic globe
View Image

9w 1100 lm Dimmable glass globe
View Image

Anyone else seeing the trend here? The dimmable glass globe versions are killing the non dimmable plastic ones we normally use. Is the increase in efficiency due to the glass globe or dimmable driver? The bases of the two bulbs look different, I wonder what kind of setup is inside?

11w 1500 lm dimmable glass globe is the best advertised efficiency I’ve seen yet @ 136.4 lm/w!

View Image

Edit: apparently this is what’s on the inside.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9QKj4W0WdDM

I made a new light with those great value bulbs and a bunch of vanity light bars from habitat store.
I also found some soft white and mixed them in. In all it is 8soft white and 4 cool white. These were $8.97 for four pack using an electric co-op rebate here in central Oklahoma. The light bars were four dollars each.i had the aluminum angle and bought some plugs at about three dollars each.
So 12 plus 16 plus 27? 55 dollar for a 22500 lumens light.it covers about 6sq ft.

Latest posts

Latest posts