What's new

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Anybody have trouble rooting cuttings under SIL’s? I’m using the low 10w ones and a good distance from them... maybe not enough light? I’m not sure if it’s the light or something else but I have 4 different methods of cloning going atm to increase my odds because rooting is taking too long imo and they grow more and more unhealthy looking as time goes on and they start to root.

Here’s one example of some rooted cuttings that look pretty shitty to me and took longer then I’d want to root, 3wks at least maybe slightly longer. Using clonex and rock wool on a heating Matt with thermostat set at 83 degrees F. Can’t remember if I scraped one side of stem on those or not but it doesn’t seem to make much a difference either way, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don’t.

picture.php

picture.php

The 2nd pic is what that batch looked like shortly before a few of them were finally rooted enough to plant. I wire twist the cuttings to close them more. I wet them after and shake out excess water and they sit in a little wet perlite so roots can grow down into it. Holes in the bottoms of those cups and shake out excess water from the perlite too so things aren’t too wet and dry out. I use the chlorinated tap water. Tried R/O after that batch and didn’t change anything. If anything I’m thinking the chlorinated tap water is better. I sprayed the leaves maybe once with kelp to try and keep em healthy lookin, I mean to spray more often but life is busy.

Here’s my most recent batch same method
picture.php

Here’s basically the “solo cloning” method slightly modified.
picture.php

simple bubbler cloner method these look the healthiest the longest stayed a nice shade of darker green but are starting to look like the others now and are actually showing less signs of rooting and a few stems keep growing slime on the bottoms despite using R/O water and black poly to block light. I since then switched back to chlorinated tap water after rinsing everything really good but slime is growing back.
picture.php

Rrrrr cloning can be so frustrating sometimes. I’ve had great success in the past with the simple bubble cloner method and the clonex rock wool method. I’m kinda hoping some one might have an idea what this abnormal yellowing and leaf deformity shit is about.

Hookahhead

I haven’t had any issues cloning under them, maybe lost 1 or 2 out of the past 40. I use 100% coir with nothing added. I always have issues with mold if I uses my soil mix. I pack fairly wet coir in a solo cup so it sort of forms a plug. Any excess water in the coir pushes out the drain holes in the bottom as I pack the coir. I use a Phillips head screw driver to make my hole. After putting the cutting in, I make sure to pack the coir again so it’s tight around the stem. Then I don’t mess with them for a week. After 7 days, I water them with a very lite nutrient solution, and remove the dome for an hour. After 10 days they can usually be set outside the dome without wilting, if they wilt they get moved back in. I’m not sure what would be causing your issues, as they look more burnt than wilted. I’ve found temperature to be one of the biggest factors in getting clones to root quickly. I live in the tropics, so I’m lucky to have a warmish area year round. When I lived further north I would have some issues in the winter. A heating mat helps, but you have to be careful not to cook them using a mat.

argo430

Veteran
back at it again finally pried off the lenses on my outdoor security lights nice thick heavy pot metal bases on plastic/glass lenses that come right of with the aid of a heat gun and a good sharp screwdriver. this ghetto strip is replacing 100W of t5 still one hole to go.

attachment.php

That was easy

pleasantly surprised cree cob on a fat heat sink.

attachment.php

Lets see what i can do with em trying a bunch of new stuff all at the same time autos on top drip crutons and top drip croutons in general air pot ,cloth pot and plastic pot no science used just observation.

attachment.php

Attachments

• prione.jpg
    prione.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 11
  • heatsink with cob that was easy..jpg
    heatsink with cob that was easy..jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 16
  • let me see what i can do..jpg
    let me see what i can do..jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 16

PCBuds

I think your lights look kinda close to the seedlings.

How many Watts/lumens are they?

Can you measure the light at the "canopy"?

PCBuds

You can download this app. to your smartphone.

It should help give you an idea of the light intensity, especially if you compare it to your old lights.

PCBuds

When I switched from CFL to SILs, I put them at the same height as the CFL's and fried my baby.

This is where I had to place the five 10 Watt SILs to avoid burning/bleaching.

It feels really wrong to have them so far away.
It took me a long time to get used to it.

Last edited:

PCBuds

This is the only real reason I'm switching from SILs to strip lights.
(That, and it's fun to buy neat stuff. Lol)

The side bulbs protrude 1/4 way into my space from each side.
If I remove the globes I'd burn horizontal holes through my plant. Lol

I figure why try to beam 1000 Watts through the canopy if you can get more light to the plant from down under with 10 Watts?

I'm leaving the 5 SILs hanging from the ceiling.
They work great and I'm used to them.

Last edited:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
You can download this app. to your smartphone.]

It should help give you an idea of the light intensity, especially if you compare it to your old lights.

Thx, I grabbed an app, I’ve never measured the light before... what is a good amount for rooting cuttings? Appearently where I usually have the cuttings in rock wool is getting about 386lux with one daylight and one soft white 10w SIL’s

picture.php

Also I know info is out there but why do I have picture coming up sideways? How fix?

PCBuds

Thx, I grabbed an app, I’ve never measured the light before...

Neither have I !!!

I've had the app for over a year and only used it to measure the sunshine at one point.

what is a good amount for rooting cuttings?

I have absolutely almost no idea ??

Appearently where I usually have the cuttings in rock wool is getting about 386lux with one daylight and one soft white 10w SIL’s

View Image

Also I know info is out there but why do I have picture coming up sideways? How fix?

I don't know?

Turn your auto-rotate off on your cellphone??

I downloaded your picture then hit editor then hit adjust and spun it up.

EDIT... Turn "ON" your screen rotation!!

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Anybody have trouble rooting cuttings under SIL’s? I’m using the low 10w ones and a good distance from them... maybe not enough light? I’m not sure if it’s the light or something else but I have 4 different methods of cloning going atm to increase my odds because rooting is taking too long imo and they grow more and more unhealthy looking as time goes on and they start to root.

Here’s one example of some rooted cuttings that look pretty shitty to me and took longer then I’d want to root, 3wks at least maybe slightly longer. Using clonex and rock wool on a heating Matt with thermostat set at 83 degrees F. Can’t remember if I scraped one side of stem on those or not but it doesn’t seem to make much a difference either way, sometimes I do it, sometimes I don’t.

View Image
:peacock:
View Image

The 2nd pic is what that batch looked like shortly before a few of them were finally rooted enough to plant. I wire twist the cuttings to close them more. I wet them after and shake out excess water and they sit in a little wet perlite so roots can grow down into it. Holes in the bottoms of those cups and shake out excess water from the perlite too so things aren’t too wet and dry out. I use the chlorinated tap water. Tried R/O after that batch and didn’t change anything. If anything I’m thinking the chlorinated tap water is better. I sprayed the leaves maybe once with kelp to try and keep em healthy lookin, I mean to spray more often but life is busy.

View Image
View Image
simple bubbler cloner method these look the healthiest the longest stayed a nice shade of darker green but are starting to look like the others now and are actually showing less signs of rooting and a few stems keep growing slime on the bottoms despite using R/O water and black poly to block light. I since then switched back to chlorinated tap water after rinsing everything really good but slime is growing back.
View Image

Rrrrr cloning can be so frustrating sometimes. I’ve had great success in the past with the simple bubble cloner method and the clonex rock wool method. I’m kinda hoping some one might have an idea what this abnormal yellowing and leaf deformity shit is about.

Too much light too soon. I had the same thing happen until I started using a shade cloth. To the point of even a 9w bulb with the globe on is too much directly over my clone dome, I put a swatch of black solar screen over the top to diffuse and block some of the light

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

View Image

View Image

View Image
View Image
View Image

Looks like calcium until things get really bad. It doesn't sound like you are feeding them though, which would most certainly be the issue

PCBuds

Looks like calcium until things get really bad. It doesn't sound like you are feeding them though, which would most certainly be the issue

I remember reading that clones aren't seedlings, they are adult clippings that need adult food.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Presuming a week to dry out, ec0.7 suits me. Dunk at that week mark, and the root ec will be more like 1.0 so no more dunks after that, It must be dtw (pour to waste..)

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Day 20 flower under all 5000k.

Group shot
picture.php

Top tier in order BG, 2 x GG#4
picture.php

BG in screen, was to tall.
picture.php

BG not in screen. Basically mainlined to 24 tops as were all the plants.
picture.php

Tangelo
picture.php

E

ESTERCHASER

FOREARM TASER INDEED!

FOREARM TASER INDEED!

Hey PCbuds - I just snip the approximately centimeter long metal prongs that stick out down to as close to flush as possible, is snipping those prongs not good for the bulb some how? I don’t really need to put as much silicone on as I do if that is trapping heat in the bulb...but snipping the extra centimeter off makes insulating the “live” metal much easier and if I left them whole and covered them it might only just be more of eyesore but I’m telling myself I’m blocking a lumen or two as well. Here is a side by side picture with a untreated bulb or forearm taser lol and one that I snipped and put less silicone on.

View Image

love those feits! yeah ive been bit a few times.........:tiphat:

ScrogMonster

Veteran
are u using salt based nutes? Is the white layering on your pots 3 inchs from the bottom residual salt?

No sir. Organic soil with added dry organic nutes. I believe/hope the white on the pot bottoms in benne bacteria. They pots are sitting on perlite wicking beds so they stay pretty moist especially toward the bottom. Hopefully not too moist but there is also a bunch perlite in the medium. At least a third.