What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

drdetroit

Total cost? Clean build.
Cost was actually free on that one. We knew a manager that was damaging out a whole case of 9watt (real watts) led spot lights and we just cut the end off a power cord as for the plate it was a 18x12 inch aluminum no parking sign lol (we actually bought it years ago)

drdetroit

That looks great!

Is there a tutorial for that? A 10" x 10" would be perfect for my space.
Sorry about the multiple posts I'm still trying to figure out the site. Umm I could try to post something on a new thread. Give me a few days life is very busy right now.

Rouxdy

Sorry about the multiple posts I'm still trying to figure out the site. Umm I could try to post something on a new thread. Give me a few days life is very busy right now.

No worries, I ended up going with a QB288 Samsung LM561c board so I'm good for now. It should be fine for my space. It's 6.83” x 11.25”

I'm going to use a 20watt burple board for lighting assistance on one of the sides.

ChrisTheGreek

Oh guys i wish i knew how to make a quantum board work!!I love the diy led lights but i have no idea of electricity jobs and if i try it the most possible is that i blow my place in the air hahah...So many foeums somebody should start maiing boards to help his fellow growers....Until i find somebody to help me i continue with my e27 led bulbs and my flood lights..Be good guys

psyphish

Veteran
Oh guys i wish i knew how to make a quantum board work!!I love the diy led lights but i have no idea of electricity jobs and if i try it the most possible is that i blow my place in the air hahah...So many foeums somebody should start maiing boards to help his fellow growers....Until i find somebody to help me i continue with my e27 led bulbs and my flood lights..Be good guys

Honestly, the Quantum Boards are easier to wire up than E27 sockets. If you look at the picture in the link for example, you'll see that you just plug the power supply to the board and then to the wall socket.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1538/8585/products/hlg-65W.JPG?v=1531456989

Goats

Honestly, the Quantum Boards are easier to wire up than E27 sockets. If you look at the picture in the link for example, you'll see that you just plug the power supply to the board and then to the wall socket.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1538/8585/products/hlg-65W.JPG?v=1531456989

this is absolutely correct. the 65 and 100 are plug and play. you don't have to do a single piece of assembly.

even the boards above those come with everything needed and the wiring is dead simple. there are videos.

i got mine from growerslights.com and paid for the extra assembly/testing and also had a potentiometer installed.

i am strongly considering a little 2x2 tent with a qb100 for in the house. if i can convince the old lady... :biggrin:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
$150 for 100w QB vs.... $60 for 200w 14w LEDs+ 2x 7 way splitters and have spare lightbulbs left over too.

11mk8t.jpg

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Id say watt for watt unless your putting the quantum board driver outside the grow area there wouldnt be worthwhile difference... Some LEDs are worse than others.. making maybe 20-30 degree differences with laser readings right on the ballast according to this thread. Not exactly going to be HPS amounts of heat anyway.. Either way its still putting out the same spectrum with the same chips {No wattage going to infrared or pure heat producing wavelengths}.
Though... with HPS all the infrared makes the leaf temp about 6-8 degrees higher.. With LED it doesnt, so you need the room to be about 6-8 hotter anyway for ideal transpiration for fast growth. Most people have trouble getting the room warm enough, especially with quantum boards in cold climates.

ChrisTheGreek

I wilk have a look at the videos guys and if it is so easy i maybe try it..With led bulbs i do ok but its different with these lights,boards do great work!!Yes i need aboyt 80-100 watts i believe and i will be perfect..My tent in centimeters is 40x40x160 so it must be fully covered with a quantum board..And for around 100watts what do u say guys which one should i take a look?I am noob with these lights thats why i ask stupid questions,sorry..What compontents i gonna need?

ChrisTheGreek

This one really nice i have seen the company page and the one at 65 w really liked it and i also like the 100w one it must be fire in my space i think..But also the 65w with another 30-40w supplement led bulb or flood light must be fine ;-)

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
If you want to pay $2 per 1 watt, and bring up a petty point like lumens go ahead. I'll gladly get 7 watt per $1, and laugh while I save $800+ per 4'x4'.{That equates to 150% watt efficiency at the cost of 1400% dollar inefficiency}. Even if you modified the 1400% dollar inefficiency with the 1.5x lumen\w efficiency its still 900% dollar inefficiency after compensation with extra lights to get same lumens. Plus lumens are altered by the distance from the light... Plus your talking about lumens before lense taken off.. Soo many flaws....

No need to be biased, salty, and cling on to your quantum board because you spent thousands for something your seeing others spend a 1\10th the money for the same thing with a better footprint. This is about progression not regression.

Dont get me wrong I would definitely like to build the 800 chip pcb boards when I get a chance. They are about the same price as HLG charges for the 288\304. The Samsung f-series 4' strips are still far superior to quantum boards though in terms of price... 1,200 lm561c diodes on heatsinks with driver for $500... Vs. $1000 for a Hlg550 for 4 288 boards on heatsinks with a far less balanced footprint.

58241396.jpg

Goats

If you want to pay $2 per 1 watt, and bring up a petty point like lumens go ahead. I'll gladly get 7 watt per $1, and laugh while I save $800+ per 4'x4'.{That equates to 150% watt efficiency at the cost of 1400% dollar inefficiency}. Even if you modified the 1400% dollar inefficiency with the 1.5x lumen\w efficiency its still 900% dollar inefficiency after compensation with extra lights to get same lumens. Plus lumens are altered by the distance from the light... Plus your talking about lumens before lense taken off.. Soo many flaws....

No need to be biased, salty, and cling on to your quantum board because you spent thousands for something your seeing others spend a 1\10th the money for the same thing with a better footprint. This is about progression not regression.

Dont get me wrong I would definitely like to build the 800 chip pcb boards when I get a chance. They are about the same price as HLG charges for the 288\304. The Samsung f-series 4' strips are still far superior to quantum boards though in terms of price... 1,200 lm561c diodes on heatsinks with driver for $500... Vs. $1000 for a Hlg550 for 4 288 boards on heatsinks with a far less balanced footprint.

View Image

who paid $2/w? you don't have any idea what light i use, and i can certainly tell you it was nowhere near $2/w, you know, being the one who paid for it. any other wrong assumptions you'd like to make?

balanced footprint? you're welcome to take a look at some recent pics and let me know if you notice any areas where there was a lack of 'balance' in my lighting that it made any kind of measurable difference.

also, not everyone has interest in diy. i have absolutely no interest in making my own light. my interest lays solely with growing the plant, not making grow lights. it's neat to watch others and what they can come up with, but i am happier buying my lights.

aren't you also the guy who tried to convince someone that a mars panel was better than a qb?

if this is about progression, then stop making assumptions and giving bad advice.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Gents let's go back on topic... off-the-shelf SILs-related only please...

Everyone has picks and different scenarios, as long as you're happy with your gear and crops, there's absolutely nothing wrong with whatever your choice for lightning is.

But... This thread topic is specifically about SILs! :tiphat:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Goats you seem to want the attention so... here ya go...
After 5 sec of looking. I do know what light you have... Its a HLG-600h, and they go for about $1.2-$1.3 per watt... which is a long shot from $0.14 per watt... Still nearly 1000% per dollar inefficiency... They have dual 800 diode lm561 pcbs with hlg600 for 400 on alibaba.